Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #401
38bill

Default Re: Truck based woody

This is what I used on my 59AB wide belt with bolt-on fan carrier. Worked fine unless they have changed it. I'll go out and see if I had to modify the alt.

update: Looks basically the same as the one I have with no mods????

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Plain-...cket,4242.html

Last edited by 38bill; 08-08-2017 at 10:14 AM.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #402
GB SISSON

Thank you Bill. I got one coming! I am keeping the old one because I have a bunch of engines and a bunch of ideas. It may work out on a future project. Your link is was I should have ordered in the first place.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #403
jerseyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
We need a "like" button on FordBarn!
Hear hear! Great idea!

One of my favorite builds!

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #404
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thanks guys.
It didn't have holes for the fan mount so I guess I ordered the wrong one.

Here's my setup now and I'm wanting to go with 12v alternator which I just bought.
Curiosity killed the cat, but I wonder... Can 'Woody' only tell the temp of the left bank?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #405
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
Curiosity killed the cat, but I wonder... Can 'Woody' only tell the temp of the left bank?
Yes, only that side, but his right boot can give us a fairly reliable read on the rpms as it ticks against the fan blade tips. The ratio of fan pulley to crank pulley must be factored in and then divided by four on account of it being a four blade fan. Of course it's plus or minus 2 percent because of belt slip.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #406
A bones

I give you the last word. But PM sent anyway.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #407
GB SISSON

Been away a couple days, but in answer to Abones pm, I have to agree that Buzz Lightyear would be better at calculating rpms than that old hick Woody. And no I don't collect action figures....... I have grandkids!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buzz lightyear 008.jpg (47.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #408
GB SISSON

Did the 24 mile round trip to town with the missus. I sit on a bucket seat from an old fj 40 landcruiser and she on a worn out school bus driver's seat alongside. Doors are latched with barrel bolts and rear doors pulled tight with a bungee cord. Body seems real solid since some reinforcement and that 59 replacement block overhaul is strong and quiet with no sign of smoke. The 3 speed trans that truckdog sent me is silky smooth,The 5 lb test (flour sack)adjustable lifters are dialed in, the Bubba's crab is flawless, the Jere Jobe carb perfect, the Drakes ball bearing water pumps and the speedway alt conversion along with the 3rd street garage voltage drops and all new wiring (one piece at a time) by yours truly all have lead to some successful and enjoyable shake down rides. I am running a 15 gallon polyethylene gas tank from tanks inc because try as I may, there was just no way to get the '39 pu tank (that 5140bat sent to me by way of expaver), into position and having a fuel fill. It's a very nice tank and I already have plans for it on my next build. Coming home last evening through the State Park there is a bank alongside the road where all my favorite fords have cast their individual shadows. This time I asked my wife to bust out her phone and get a photo of us whizzing by. Woodie now has both bumpers, grille shell, headlights (for show at this point) registration and Hagerty insurance! Thanks to so many who have made this possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodie Shadow 1.jpg (75.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 08-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #409
PeteVS

Nice now that it's all coming together!
Old 08-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #410
sidevalve8ba

GB,
I ran across this photo on the Internet the other day and thought you might enjoy seeing it. Seems that it is from Brazil. I don't have any details on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrazilianFordspartdos_700.jpg (61.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #411
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
GB,
I ran across this photo on the Internet the other day and thought you might enjoy seeing it. Seems that it is from Brazil. I don't have any details on it.
Thanks Ted, That's a really cool rig. I'll ad it to my collection of woodie trucks.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #412
GB SISSON

With a holiday weekend I found some time to install the grille and I have been wiring up the horn too. I now have maybe 250 miles on the overhauled engine just running around this past week. Temps are really warm for the Pacific NW. In the high 80s low 90s, so who needs windows? Speaking of warm temps, I got my roofing material and my J shaped drip rail. Tuesday is supposed to be te hottest day next week so the plan is to stretch it over the top and fasten it down.... Not sure what year my bumpers are. Two different sources, but the same. Not '42-'47 but earlier. They are sort of pinched on the ends. I like them. I also wire wheeled and painted the insides of the front fenders with a brush. They will go on soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie grille 018.jpg (70.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg woodie grille 106.jpg (41.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg woodie grille 111.jpg (67.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg woodie grille 036.jpg (71.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg woodie grille 134.jpg (68.2 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 09-03-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #413
38bill

What material did you end up getting for the roofing?
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #414
mhsprecher

It is really coming together.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #415
GB SISSON

I bought a 10 x 10 piece of 60 mil Firestone EPDM roofing on amazon for 97 bucks. 50 year guarantee. Looks like it will stretch nicely on the rear corners. It came on Friday and I plan to get a couple friends over tomorrow because it will be almost 90 in the afternoon. I also picked up a 'J' metal drip rail from an RV place, aluminum with black powder coat. It is 1 1/8" high and has holes on 6" centers. This was 32 bucks for each 16' section. I found some black #8 x 1" screws on amazon to fasten it with. The long grain vinyl I can find is 2" too narrow for my truck woodie and so I would need two pieces with a seam. Reproduction woodie gutters are something like 600.00 and too short. I will get some photos once it's on. Got my front fenders on today. Ran out of daylight to get the hood back on but that is close. Finally starting to look like a car. Or is it a truck?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #416
Bill

Repeat this ten times IT'S A WOODIE! Got it? GOOD...Good luck with the top.. Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #417
flatford8

Man I can't wait for you to take us all for a ride......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #418
GB SISSON

I keep adding parts. Paint job will never win any shows, but My steep 1/2 mile gravel road eats paint and spits it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie nose back on 010.jpg (75.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg woodie nose back on 050.jpg (66.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg woodie nose back on 100.jpg (63.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #419
meric42

That's awesome

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #420
Chris

My friend Chris Carter just sent me pictures of your woody today! You got the truck from him, but before that he got it from me! I got it from the North Idaho/WA border area.

I love what you've done!!

Chris