Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Should I install the Oil Filter?
Install the Filter 24 77.42%
Leave it alone, no filter. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
DMMuir

Default Oil: To filter or not to Filter

Hi again.

My 40 does not have an oil filter. My box of parts however has a filter that I was told would have been the option for that year.

Would you recommend installing the filter? If so, can someone provide a few pictures of the installation, since all I have is a red housing....
DMMuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: Oil: To filter or not to Filter

I never put on many miles and I don't mind changing it. The factory filter is messy to change, so I go filterless. Others will have different conditions, but for me putting around on an island, seems the right choice for me. It seems my rigs w/o filters always have higher oil pressure and I'm a big oil pressure fan.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Around 1940 I think they were using the filter return that dumped into the fuel pump stand. This caused some issues with increased oil vapor out the breather. Then they switched to a return that connected with a banjo fitting and hollow bolt to the timing cover. Later the return went to the oil pan and then a fitting is the lower edge of the block near the oil pan.

Attached is the diagram for the timing cover fitting. That might be the most correct for a 40, but not positive about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Line Diagram.jpg (68.3 KB, 54 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

if you change your oil at 1000 mile intervals the only good thing about a filter is there is more oil in the system and some of it is cooled by passing it thru the filter
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
19Fordy

If you have a filter it would be nice to install it.
If you don't, just change the oil regularly.

My 40 didn't have a filter and I never installed one. Ran great for 35 years and was stil a good running engine when I removed it in 1972.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #6
drolston

With modern oil and regular changes, filter would not add much to engine life. And it is just plain ugly; and messy, and gets in the way.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #7
cas3

i like the original filter system, why not do the best you can for your expensive motor. i do not like them on the motor though, so i made a firewall mount for a ford filter i had that had been hacked up before, out of an old aftermarket mount. made it so the holes are on top the x in 34 firewalls so it would be easy to erase if i choose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1328.jpg (77.5 KB, 69 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:00 PM   #8
tubman

I am an avid stock filter advocate. The conditions most of these engines are operated under are absolutely ideal. In my opinion, a stock setup on a stock engine (or close to it) is superior to any of the "95%" or "Full Flow" systems touted by others. The stock filter will remove smaller particulates from the engine than a full flow system. With the maintenance given these engines (witness the number of people who have already posted who recommend 1000 mile oil change intervals) and you will see that getting the big chunks out of the way with a full flow system is totally unnecessary. The finer filtration is much more important.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:55 AM   #9
songshun

maybe the filter is a good choice. Just try it
songshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #10
aussie merc

to me its a no brainer even if its just a bypass filter any crap that goes into it wont come out so no damage no filter it goes around and around time and time again end result $$$$$$ your pocket your choice
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote