Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
henry1930ford

Unhappy ANTIQUE ENGINE REBUILDING RODS vs SNYDERS

I just bought a set of Snyders rods and I am sorry. They said in the information that the wrist pin wasrough bored. Well it is very rough! The bushing is only pressed in andmust be cut off and chamfered and then .017 stock of bushing must be honed out. This took my local machine shop over an hour and then the rods still needed aligned. TheTotal machine shop bill was $125.00 plus my time and aggravation, which costs much more than if I would have used Antique Engine Rebuilding the rods. The Antique Engine rods are ready for assembly and fit perfect out of the box
henry1930ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: ANTIQUE ENGINE REBUILDING RODS vs SNYDERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1930ford View Post
I just bought a set of Snyders rods and I am sorry. They said in the information that the wrist pin wasrough bored. Well it is very rough! The bushing is only pressed in andmust be cut off and chamfered and then .017 stock of bushing must be honed out. This took my local machine shop over an hour and then the rods still needed aligned. TheTotal machine shop bill was $125.00 plus my time and aggravation, which costs much more than if I would have used Antique Engine Rebuilding the rods. The Antique Engine rods are ready for assembly and fit perfect out of the box
Yikes...'.017 seems like a but much'..thanks for the heads up !

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-29-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: ..
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
azmodela
BANNED

Good for Snyders! Since they don't know which pistons you'll use, wrist pins, and other things, it's in their best interest and yours to have them honed to fit your pistons and wrist pins.

Now a question for you henry1930, are you going to continue to participate on the board or did you just sign up and make your first post to complain?
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
James Rogers

Have my first set of Snyder's rods on the way. I'll give a real assessment of them when they arrive tomorrow or Friday. I like Rich's rods but don't condemn the rest before I try them. As far as honing the rod bushings, so what? The ONLY one that sends rods out with finished bushings it AER. Any babbitt rod you buy will have to have the same thing done to it. That's why I bought a rod hone, to do my own.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Henry, no body should be sending out finished wrist pin holes in any rods, it just isn't done. If you were working with .017 to much material, that is extreme, as normal is about .002, to .003 thousandths. You never know what size the pins will be. The pins should have a clearance of .0003 to .0005 only. And always check rod alignment, no matter what. Thanks Herm.

Last edited by Kohnke Rebabbitting; 02-29-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
d.j. moordigian

Herm,

Did you mean .003 to .005 or .0003 to .0005?

Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Herm,

Did you mean .003 to .005 or .0003 to .0005?

Dudley
Your right d.j., I left out a Zero, thanks for catching it. Herm.

There, got it fixed! Herm.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
d.j. moordigian

Herm and James,

The Carrillo and Crower rods that I've purchased over the past 37 years came
with finished(pin fitted) pin bores.
So,...are you two saying there is no standard pin diameter for an A or B?

Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
James Rogers

There are variations. I have not used every rod available but I prefer to fit my own rods. I guess I am just old school in some respects.

BTW, I have had some rods from AER that did not fit correctly and I either fitted them on the hone or replaced the bushing.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Herm and James,

The Carrillo and Crower rods that I've purchased over the past 37 years came
with finished(pin fitted) pin bores.
So,...are you two saying there is no standard pin diameter for an A or B?

Dudley
There is a standard, but some piston companys don't always send them out that way. Thats why the machinest that fits the wrist pins needs the pistons with the wrist pins to check fit in the pistons for the wrist pins, and also in the Rod bushings. Herm.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
van Dyck

You were right the first time, Herm. .003" to .005" is way too loose on a piston pin bushing. .0003" to .0005" is correct.
van Dyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
PC/SR

Just as a general observation, not only on Henry's pins but any fitting parts, with different parts coming from different manufacturers, with different tolerances and measurements, not to mention the wear on your parts, it is better to have things individually fitted, per James and Herm above. Yeh, it costs extra, but it is the difference between "good enough" and the "best."
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
mkmskm

I've been on tours in the babbitt shop that Snyder's uses and its a neat operation, this shop did all of the babbitt work on my engine and does a lot of custom work. The last time I was there they had a hinged connecting rod, I forget what it was off of, but it was interesting machine work.
mkmskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Did you contact Snyders first after you discovered this? Did he offer any kind of explanation?? Knowing Don, he just does not knowingly turn out inferior merchandise. Maybe this was a fluke or a mistake that happened on just your set. He is a VERY fair man and strives for 100% satisfaction with each customer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmskm View Post
I've been on tours in the babbitt shop that Snyder's uses and its a neat operation, this shop did all of the babbitt work on my engine and does a lot of custom work. The last time I was there they had a hinged connecting rod, I forget what it was off of, but it was interesting machine work.
Hinged Rods were used in engines 1915, and below. Many 1 & 2 cylinder cars. Herm.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
jhowes

Can someone explain a hinged connecting rod. Maybe with a sketch.
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
Hinged Rods were used in engines 1915, and below. Many 1 & 2 cylinder cars. Herm.

Is that like a six stroke engine atall?
http://youtu.be/bt9NGA0GhQo

Last edited by MrTube; 03-01-2012 at 05:02 PM.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Did you contact Snyders first after you discovered this? Did he offer any kind of explanation?? Knowing Don, he just does not knowingly turn out inferior merchandise. Maybe this was a fluke or a mistake that happened on just your set. He is a VERY fair man and strives for 100% satisfaction with each customer.
I heartedly agree with Brent: Snyder's is a totally honorable operation, in my 30 years experience with them. Give Don a call!

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
James Rogers

Quote:
Not only do I think the rods needed to be hone fitted to the wrist pins, 125$ is a pretty high price for what you got. I get 25$ to hone a set and the rods should not have needed aligning, being new. I think you got took by your local shop and you have buyers remorse because of it.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Can someone explain a hinged connecting rod. Maybe with a sketch.
A Hinged rod instead of having a Bolt on each side, has a hinge on one side, and a Bolt on the other. You pull the bolt, and the cap swings open like a house yard gate. You can pull a shim if need be, and put the bolt back in. They are not that much to pour.

One last thing, apparently, some people don't under stand the importance, or Process of Rod alignment. So if you have a Rod, straight or not, when you start, and I don't know how you would tell, with a out of round new bushing. There is No bushing hone made that will hone a bushing in alignment, with the rest of the rod. Always the Famous last words, (( well, I Thought it would have been straight)), That is liking thinking the piston rings don't need gapping, because the last set checked ok, or there New, and shouldn't need it.!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hinged Rods 009.jpg (58.9 KB, 171 views)