Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #61
Chris Haynes

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Hey Chris,

Will it be ready for the San Fernando Valley Model A Swap Meet? It would be nice to see it and hear it run.

At least you should make a YouTube video like Charlie Yapp did for the Cyclone head.

David Serrano
Probably not as it is too damn hot to work on it.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:28 PM   #62
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
Chris,

sounds like it will be a good running motor.

the head was not included in the cost mentioned? right?

curious on the "B" crank mod to fit in "A" block, also is it cross drilled to feed the rods?

thanks, John
I bought the head well over a decade ago. They are now obsolete as Charlie has stopped producing them. I also had he flywheel, harmonic balancer on hand. I know that Joe Sivils built the engine for pressure oiling. I'll have to ask him about the crank.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #63
nick c

When I rebuilt my engine and had it bored out .040, the machine shop would not begin the process of boring and honing until they had the new pistons to mic. Would the new engine need to dismantled, bored and honed?
thanks
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #64
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
When I rebuilt my engine and had it bored out .040, the machine shop would not begin the process of boring and honing until they had the new pistons to mic. Would the new engine need to dismantled, bored and honed?
thanks
He is not making a complete engine. Block, crank, and rods.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #65
denniskliesen

"He is not making a complete engine. Block, crank, and rods."

Who's engine are you referring to? This thread has turned away from the original title.

The Terry Burtz engine will have a machined block with a machined crankshaft with machined rods to fit the block.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #66
Terry Burtz, Calif

Again, this is not an update, but I will try to answer some questions.

Many questions ask about price. I cannot answer because I am not involved in negotiations with the factory. All I can say is that the new engine price will be competitive with a rebuilt engine that has inserts, crankshaft counterweights, connecting rods with inserts, and is balanced.

Hi Terry
Glad to see your project is moving again. Do you know Tod Buttermore? He is also just about to start production on his new model a engine. I'm not sure there is enough market to handle 2 new model a engine blocks. You might want to contact him and see if you can work together and build on fantastic new block.
Thanks, Eric

After the project stalled in California due to lack of quality control, inability to follow a procedure, and spiraling cost, I contacted Tod in Jan. 2015 in an attempt to work with him. Although we are competitors, we have no animosity. Pasted below is our Emails.

Tod Buttermore <[email protected]>
Fri 1/16/2015 9:57 AM

Terry,

I took a quick look at the pattern pictures and I would have to say that none of the foundries around me could use that tooling as it is. Given the work load I have, I don't think I would have time in the foreseeable future to be of any help to you. I would think there has to be a foundry closer to your home that can do that casting. The only reason my foundry can do anything for me is because I am involved. Sorry for the let down.

Tod

Tod Buttermore <[email protected]>
Tue 1/13/2015 4:09 AM
Terry,
Email received. I will look at the pictures and give you my assessment.
Tod

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 12:20 AM, Terry <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Tod,
It was good talking with you about the New Model A Engine Project.
I have been working with Lodi Iron Works. When their only technical person in the office retired, this project shifted to the back burner.
Engineering is based on the original Ford drawings of the cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rod.
SolidWorks and rapid-prototyping were used to create "masters". These masters were then used to create the foundry tooling.
The machined castings are documented with SolidWorks.
The tooling has produced several good castings if you don't count foundry screw-ups like failure to dry the water based mold wash, failure to fully engage core prints, interrupting the pour which caused a cold shut, etc. Only one good cylinder block without screw-ups has been cast, and that cannot be repeated because the personnel working on the floor that made the good casting are no longer employed at Lodi Iron Works.
The tooling pictures are located in my skydrive. You can access them from the link below:
http://1drv.ms/1dOxxFe
or
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...=folder%2c.JPG
At Lodi Iron Works, all core boxes were filled with PepSet with the exception of the water jacket core boxes.The water jacket core boxes were blown using IsoCure.
The last picture shows the pattern for the crankshaft and the next to last picture shows the aluminum match-plates for connecting rods and main caps that fit Lodi's automated molding line.
Over the next few days, I will send the core assembly procedure, pictures of assembled cores, pictures of castings, and pictures taken in the foundry.
I hope that we can work together to provide this new product to the Model A hobby.
Please reply so that I know that Email works and that you were able to view the skydrive pictures.
Terry Burtz

Hello Terry
I figured the engine project had stalled, and I'm glad to see you're back at it!
Will the block be cast iron?
Best regards, Carl

Yes, the cylinder block will be a cast iron. On drawing A-6015 Ford specified "A" iron. To keep costs at a minimum, instead of us specifying an antique alloy like "A" iron, the alloy chosen will be one that the factory uses for modern engine cylinder blocks.. The main bearing caps, connecting rods, and crankshaft will be a modern malleable iron, and again, it will be an alloy that the factory uses for modern engines. I have asked for properties of these alloys and will be happy to share them with anyone interested.

Good Morning Terry:
When you can quote either parts or and assembled short block please advise.
I have a “B” engine sitting on my Garage Floor but if this new engine were ready to go I think it would be the “real deal”.
Question
How would you handle Engine Block Numbers?
Thank you, Al

We are working with the factory to get quotes on parts, not a short block. The reason for not providing a short block is that most people want to choose the valve train that they want, choose pistons that they want, choose cam and timing gears that they want, along with other variables. Many people also have a collection of parts on the shelf that is waiting for the next rebuild. Regarding engine block numbers, for quality control purposes, after a cylinder block passes final inspection, a unique sequential serial number will be stamped on the machined surface where the A-6017 "Cylinder timing gear cover side" is mounted. On an assembled engine, this number is hidden, but easily accessible by removing a few bolts. The pad above the water inlet on the side of the cylinder block will be blank unless you request that we stamp it. We have the correct stamps with the different numbers (depending on serial number), and we can stamp it for you.

How about creating a go Fund Me page or a Kickstarter page to fund this?
Anne

Thank you for your suggestion. Money is not the problem. Many people have offered to make a deposit, The problem is to find a competent manufacturing facility that can produce a quality product for an affordable price. The project stalled several years ago due to spiraling costs and lack of quality control.

Hello Terry, great to hear you are back on deck with this project. It must be 5 or 6 years since we visited you from New Zealand and you showed us your projects. I will be thrilled to buy one of your new blocks, and head too if you make that. Will the crankshaft go ahead too, or is it too early to say?
SAJ in NZ

For this project, the crankshaft and connecting rods are included. Any head can be used because all interfaces for attaching parts are exactly as original.

thanks

Nothing needs to be dismantled. The "new engine" consists of a fully machined cylinder block, connecting rods and a crankshaft. The Ford drawing for machining the cylinder block calls for the cylinders to be reamed to 3.873 to 3.874 inch diameter, and then rolled to 3.875 to 3.876 inch diameter. Rolling does not produce a very good surface for the rings, so the plan is to have a diameter between 3.875 and 3.876 inch diameter with a honed 45 degree cross-hatched surface finish. See the following for surface finish. https://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceT...efinishing.htm
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #67
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
"He is not making a complete engine. Block, crank, and rods."

Who's engine are you referring to? This thread has turned away from the original title.

The Terry Burtz engine will have a machined block with a machined crankshaft with machined rods to fit the block.
The pictures I posted are of Terry's test castings.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #68
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Terry,

Thanks for the detailed answers to the questions that have been posed. The clear and concise answers give a non-technical person like me a lot of confidence in your project and the product you will deliver.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #69
wrpercival

I received the following progress update from Terry Burtz today:

-----------------------------------------------------

Hello to All,

19 August 2019

Updates

In case someone gets this Email without seeing the article on the new Model A engine, the article can be found at: http://www.modelaengine.com

If anyone has a question, concern, comment, or suggestion, please let me know at [email protected] and I’ll do my best to resolve the issue.

New Engine

This project started in 2007 and stalled in 2015 because of sky-rocketing cost and the lack of quality control at foundries in California.

Previous updates, pictures, and videos can be found at: http://www.modelaengine.com

Also see: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265782 for additional information.

I use the term "new engine" loosely because the only new parts are the cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods. All interfaces for mating parts are identical to original and have been documented from original Ford drawings.

In the 2 July 2019 update, I was happy to state that the project was resurrected and I would be working with others to have the "new engine" manufactured in China at a factory that manufactures OEM parts for several customers.

The others that I will be working with include John, Bill, and Leonard. John has a company in Hong Kong and Virginia and has over 30 years of experience in having things manufactured in China and imported into the USA. One of John's products is a vintage cast iron 4-cylinder 3-main L-head cylinder block similar to a Model A cylinder block. John will be responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance. Bill will be responsible for accounting and disbursements. Leonard will be responsible for receiving orders and shipping the "new engines" to customers, and maintaining a list that ties customer names to the hidden serial number (part of quality assurance). I am the 4th member of the team and I will be responsible for everything related to engineering.

The 4 of us met at Leonard's home in Santa Ana, CA on the morning of Friday, August 16 to get to know each other and discuss our working relationships, and responsibilities. Leonard and his wife Kay were preparing for an annual meeting where the members of the Orange County Model A club, Southern California Oldsmobile Club and Antique Engine Club get together for a fun and educational meeting on Saturday, August 17.

After meeting with Leonard on Friday, John, Bill, and I retreated to the hotel where we were staying to have a 5-hour technical discussion regarding the new engine project. Many things were discussed including surface finishes, dimensional tolerances to 4 digits in certain areas, casting wall thickness, press and slip fits for dowel pins, hard exhaust valve seats, replaceable camshaft bearings, balancing, different alloys of iron (cast and ductile) that will be used for different parts, small parts that will be included like the dowel pins that locate the flywheel housing to the cylinder block, main bearing studs, and nuts, dowel pins in the crankshaft where the flywheel is attached, woodruff key for crankshaft timing gear, connecting rod wrist pin bushing, connecting rod bolts, and much more. Also discussed is the need for verification of design by third parties before the factory is turned on for production.

We talked about asking for a small quantity (6 sets of parts at most) for evaluation before production. One set of parts will be used for display and shown with pan rail up so people can see the 5 main bearings, crankshaft counterweights on both sides of each connecting rod, bosses for oil passages, rear main seal design, and many other features. The other sets of parts will be built by others for testing and evaluation.

John is a hands-on, grease under the fingernails type of guy who has a passion for detail and we can talk for hours about everything from Chinese culture and their way of doing things to the smallest technical detail.

On Saturday at Leonard's, I gave about an hour-long presentation to the attendees regarding the "new engine" which included features of the new design, history of problems with working with foundries in California, how the project stalled in 2015 because of the lack of quality control and spiraling cost increases, and how the project was resurrected when Leonard put me in contact with John. After I spoke, there was a question and answer discussion where the audience asked technical questions and I was happy to answer them.

The picture attached was taken while I was talking. I am wearing the straw hat by the "no speed limit" sign and John is wearing the white shirt and standing in front of the black toolbox.

John will be traveling to China in early September for technical discussions with the factory. If any questions arise, I am a phone call or email away.

Even with the added tariff on auto parts from China, our goal is to provide a quality product at an affordable price that is competitive with the cost of a rebuilt engine.

A deposit to cover 1/2 of the tooling cost has been made, and tooling is now being designed.

Cylinder Block

As mentioned in the 2 July 2019 update, 2 cylinder blocks were sent to China. One was original and the other was the one good casting made by Lodi Iron Works. In addition, SolidWorks files of the internal cores and machining were sent.

Although existing tooling has made cylinder blocks in 2 different foundries in California, all new tooling will be made in China. The reason for this is because the factory in China needs to assume full responsibility. The factory in China has been told that my SolidWorks files of the interior are for reference and can be modified as needed, however, the SolidWorks file for machining cannot be modified. If the factory in China were to use my tooling and/or interior SolidWorks files as is and had a problem, it could be argued that we gave them direction and that I was responsible for the problem.

Connecting Rod, Main Caps, and Crankshaft

These parts are much simpler than the cylinder block and they will be made of malleable iron. The 1932 Ford V-8 crankshaft was cast malleable iron, and most modern engines use malleable iron crankshafts.

SolidWorks models have been provided and the instructions to the factory in China is to follow the SolidWorks models.

Dimensional and balancing tolerances are being specified to be equal or exceed the tolerances on the Ford drawings.

Next Update

We are hopeful that we will have the first machined samples available by late fall and will send updates including pictures as the project matures.

Terry Burtz, Campbell, Calif.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seminar Picture at Leonards.jpg (128.4 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by wrpercival; 08-19-2019 at 01:32 PM.
wrpercival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 AM   #70
CWPASADENA

Terry,

Thank you for the very informative update.

It sounds like you have really done your homework.

The Model A hobby is looking forward to having a source for good quality new upgraded engine components.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #71
Terry Burtz, Calif

I want to thank everyone for Emailing encouraging comments and asking questions. Sometimes 2 or more people ask the same question. When this happens, I just pick one question to answer. Questions are unedited with the exception that I remove last names. It takes 2 days to send the updates by Email to contacts on my Email list because my free Hotmail account will only allow me send 500 BCC Emails in a 24 hour period, and I can only send 50 at a time.

Terry,
I see your back on the new engine. I have a few questions, first is what size are the main bearings @ inch like the B?, will it be oil pressurized? will the cam bores be larger than stock, are you going to use the Model B exhaust port design which flows better?
Thanks
Bill

All 9 bearing journals (rods and mains) on the crankshaft are specified to be between 2.0000 and 1.9990 inch diameter with .125 inch fillet radii. The insert chosen is used in GM engines built from 1955 to 2003. Front, center and rear mains use a pair of inserts. Intermediate mains (2 and 4) and connecting rods use a single insert. The insert is Sealed Power #2020CP. Do a Google search and you will find many sources.

Oil pressure will be supplied to all 9 crankshaft bearings. There are 5 camshaft bushings that are replaceable. The front, center, and rear camshaft bushings will have oil pressure supplied to them. The #2 and #4 camshaft bushings will block off the drilled oil passages. The engine builder will leave these passages blocked if using a 3 bearing camshaft. If using a 5 bearing camshaft, the bushings should be drilled to provide oil pressure.

Inside diameter of camshaft bushings is specified to be between 1.5615 and 1.5625 inch diameter which is stock Model A. If you wanted larger camshaft bores in the cylinder block for a higher lift camshaft, just remove the camshaft bushings and let the larger camshaft journals ride on the cast iron cylinder block like a stock Model A.

Exhaust ports are stock except that they have replaceable hard seats (MAHLE 218-7535). Intake ports have a streamlined flow path however they are stock size. Engine builders are usually concerned about intake port flow, not exhaust port flow. Intakes do not have hard seats so they can be enlarged by engine builders for larger valves.

More can be found at http://www.modelaengine.com

Hi Terry,
Great news. I think it’s really going to happen this time it sounds like you connected with the right people.
I attended one of your seminars at your house after one of the castings came back
and saw first hand what your doing.
My comment is that maybe you should also consider a flywheel as the counter weights add some mass that could be taken out of the flywheel and it would also be nice to have it made to take the modern diaphragm clutch people are using.
The flywheel cost would probably be in line with what it costs to lighten and modify
A stock one.
Thanks for getting going again,
Dodge

My fingers are crossed in anticipation that the design will become reality. I believe that we have the right team to pull this off. A much lighter weight flywheel will be our next project. John, our team member that is responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance has flywheels manufactured in China for another application. For some unknown reason to me, Ford cast Model A flywheels in a vertical position instead of horizontal. If you were to lighten a stock flywheel, porosity (on the side that was up while casting) is always opposite to the balance hole. We will cast flywheels horizontally with the ring gear side up so any porosity will be on the ring gear side. Our new flywheel will also have the ring gear support shoulder on the other side of the ring gear so that engagement of the Bendix will not apply forces that want to remove the gear instead of pushing it harder against the shoulder.

Hi Terry, nice to see that you are making progress on the motor. My local foundry have just completed a totally new design for twelve cylinder Ferrari cylinder heads, also new inlet
manifold for six webber ( special short Ferrari type) outstanding job. They are also casting V8 85 twin spark cylinder heads from original patterns.
If you have any further trouble give them a call. Mr Robin Hyhof, Giltec Catings Dunedin.
They have done some complex castings for me in both alloy and bronze.
Cheers,
Ken

That sounds like a very capable foundry in New Zealand. Thank you for the contact information. Unfortunately, Model A people are cheap and cannot afford the same things that Ferrari people throw money at.

Hello Terry

Congratulations on getting your engine project going again. Will the new blocks accommodate five-bearing camshafts like the early 1928 Model As? That would provide better cam support for running overheads.

In the past you mentioned using roll pins to index the bearing caps to the engine block. Are they sufficiently stable compared to dowel pins?

Best regards,--Carl

See the answer to Bill at the beginning where I talked about 5 cam bushings, replaceable cam bushings, oil pressure, removing cam bushings for a higher lift camshaft, etc.

Instead of roll pins, I specified 1/8 inch diameter x 3/8 inch long dowel pins (McMaster Carr 98381A470). The cylinder block will have a press fit and the main cap will have a slip fit.

Roll pins are nice because hole diameters do not need to be as precise.

Terry,
Thank you for the update. I. Appreciate being kept in the loop. Perhaps thus would make a great mate fir our Cyclone A-B Cylinder Head.
Thx
Kevin

All stock interfaces for attached parts have been documented from Ford drawings so any after-market parts will work if they fit a stock Model A engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone builds one of these up with a supercharger and electronic fuel injection. A cast steel crank option would be good for that. Gregg

Iron foundries usually pour cast iron and malleable iron alloys. Steel parts are usually poured in a different foundry. It could be done but at a higher cost.

Terry
Will assembly be in China? Or US?
Joe.

The "New Engine" consists of a cylinder block, crankshaft, and 4 connecting rods.
These will be loose parts and the engine builder will have his choice of pistons, rings, camshaft, valve train, timing gears, insert bearings, etc.

The only assembly that will be done in China is wrist pin bushings in the connecting rods, dowel pins at the connecting rod cap interface, camshaft bushings in the cylinder block. 10 dowel pins in the cylinder block for main cap indexing, 2 dowel pins in cylinder block to align flywheel housing, 4 hard seats in the cylinder exhaust ports, 2 dowel pins in the crankshaft for flywheel alignment, and the Woodruff key in the crankshaft.

Is there a real need for camshaft bearings? Will the crank be hardened so it won't wear in the bearing areas? Will the main and rod bearings be available "off the shelf", i.e. small block Chevy or similar, or special made for your engine? Jim

Modern engines have replaceable cam bearings, and that is why we chose to use them. For a stock engine with light valve spring pressure, cam bearings are not needed. If someone wanted to make a new camshaft with higher lift lobes, the camshaft bearings could be removed and the larger camshaft journals on the new camshaft would ride on the cast iron cylinder block.

The crankshaft will have the same material and heat treat as similar crankshafts being made.

Front, center and rear mains use a pair of inserts. Intermediate mains (2 and 4) and connecting rods use a single insert. The insert is Sealed Power #2020CP which is used in many 4,6, and 8 cylinder engines and they were used from 1955 until 2003. The inserts are very common and they were used in small block Chevy's and many other engines. They are available at most any auto parts store and even from Amazon and Ebay.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #72
Terry Burtz, Calif

Dear Terry,
I have extremely limited experience of Chinese made parts but I understand that they can be less than rigorous when it comes to materials to the point where you may get a part that machines like cheese, or glass. I’m very impressed with your persistence and progress so far and as a Model A parts seller and restorer I’m very interested in your blocks.
Best Wishes, Rob

Parts made in China without good quality control can have the problems that you describe. The factory that has been selected specializes in the manufacture of cylinder blocks and other engine components, and they have excellent quality control. John (our team member responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance) will not accept anything unless it meets our requirements.

HI Terry,
Thanks for the update.
I have a question re the new engine, are you intending for it to have a fully pressurized oiling system?
Regards Peter

Yes, all 9 crankshaft bearings and all camshaft bearings will be supplied with oil under pressure. The crankshaft is also drilled to provide oil to the connecting rod bearings.

There are many other changes, and I encourage you to check out
http://www.modelaengine.com

My name is Stephen ,I. Own and drive a 1928 Model A Ford .
Just finishing a long drive Toronto to Nova Scotia about 3000 km .
Wish some how this engine could be made in the USA . I am a aircraft mechanic and
tolerances in my field are close. A lot of the after market parts are made in China
under Fords blessings .Much of it I buy from the. Mac. Snyder’s Burt’s these parts are
terrible /fit / longevity ,now you want them to build an engine I find that a Bit?
Got to be a way to keep the price and Jobs in AMERICA. and not to drive this engine off shore.
After three engine overhauls finally found one In Stokie ‘s that giving me the milage.
But I would like to buy an engine that a do not need to bring a tool chest with me..

I would be happy to have this engine produced in the USA, and tried to work with manufacturers in the USA for several years. When costs started spiraling upwards (from $800 to $2400) for just a raw cylinder block casting and there was no quality assurance to guarantee that the casting would not be full of porosity or have core shift, I put the project on hold in May 2015 because it became unaffordable (unless you want to spend $8000 or more). The project was revived as told in the previous (June) update when the team of John, Bill, Leonard, and myself agreed to revive it and make it affordable. John will be responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance. He has over 30 years of experience manufacturing parts (including iron cylinder blocks and other automobile parts) and is familiar with 4-place dimensional tolerances and quality control requirements.

The industry of casting and forging iron and steel has moved to third world countries, and that is where we had to go.

Ford does not bless and has no control over the terrible fitting aftermarket parts that you mention. For a fee, you can use the trademarked Ford oval and name on your product and packaging. Ford does not approve any design documentation for the part and has no control regarding quality control.

Hi Terry,
Receiving this latest update is very encouraging and exciting as a Model A guy.
Please add me to your email list, I get the emails through a Model A friend.
Have been following your project for several years and tried to find casting guys on the East coast to no avail.

Sounds like the team you've been fortunate to assemble is finally on the trail you had hoped for in you vision of an A engine upgrade.

I'm an electrical Eng by training and a mechanical engineer through my auto passion that has led me to be a manufacturing engineer in my present career.
As such, If at all possible I would love the opportunity to be one of your early Alpha customers to provide feedback on everything from fit/function/ integrity and overall performance.

Sad as it is, It does seem as if china and India are the only places that can do iron castings these days from what I can find out talking to casting source contacts I've made.

Best regards, best of luck in this new and exciting chapter of a modern A engine

Please feel free to ask if there is someway I can help you

Paul

Thanks for the encouraging words. Your observations regarding trying to find foundries on the East coast is the same on the West coast. During WW2 there were many shipyards around San Francisco Bay that were producing Liberty ships and others at a rate that was greater than the Axis powers could sink them. All of these ships required tons of iron castings that were poured and machined locally. Today, all of the shipyards, foundries and large machine shops are all gone.

Good day Terry,
Terry, if there is anything I can do to help, please feel free to ping me. I have been following your project for years.
I am interested in the project, I would love to contribute, I am willing to pre-order and pay for components, build and field test engines and provide field feed-back, I am not looking for anything but to help, I have a love for the hobby and have been running Model A’s for over 40 years. I am an avid car collector/builder and have built cars for museums and individuals, ranging from early Corvettes, vintage Chryslers, Chevys and of course Model A’s, as-well as hot-rods and vintage aircraft, I am a licensed Airframe/Engine tech and Pilot.

I am interested in field testing (I have several Model A’s that I can swap engines into), it’s common for me to tour for hundreds of miles on a single tour with the club that I am charter member of (the Worcester County Model A Club). Therefore it would not take long to begin to see field testing results. I have Model A’s with Mitchel Over-Drives, I could feedback results of performance with and without over-drives. I typically run Model B engines with the 40% bob-weight c-balance crank and 6.5:1 compression and all the Model B accessories. I would build engines at the horsepower you deem necessary for testing, whether it be mild or not, I would think most interested parties would be looking for something around 55/65hp, with an engine that can run at as much as 5000rpm, the Model A would comfortable when cruising at 2000 to 2500rpm, its perfect.

If there is anything I can do to help, please do not hesitate, I manage an ISO 17025 accredited dimensioned measuring laboratory, we hold temperature to 680F +/- 10F, therefore we know a little bit about measuring artifacts to exceedingly tight tolerances, including all sorts of hard dimensional gages, right down to good-old Gageblocks, our measuring capabilities are virtually unlimited, attributes such as; heights, parallel, squareness, bore size, lengths, pin diameter, Etc., Etc., is not a problem, and typically to six decimal places, or more. We also work with force, pressure and electronics, oven surveys, as-well-as others, for the sake of conversation.

Have a good day, and thanks for taking the time to see this project through, and thanks for taking the time to read this note. Ralph

Thank you for commenting. We are looking for independent third-party verification of the design. You have the skill-set that we are looking for.

Thanks Terry,
I hope this goes well for you.
My Son Tony is purchasing the machine shop from me but I am still doing R&D on new performance products. I have something I would like to ask and that would be an off the shelf tappet or lifter seems it’s getting harder to get adjustable lifters the problem is they should have a minimum foot of 1-1/8 or better yet the B lifter size of 1-3/16 that allows for better cam profile designs. I believe on the larger cam bore that will give me more room for profile design also.

Second question is oil pumps, are you bringing the oil out through a filter first with you insert bearing?
Thanks
Bill

All stock interfaces including the lifter bores are the same as an original Model A Ford cylinder block.

We are planning to make other parts in the future and will look at making an adjustable tappet with a larger diameter foot. Right now, we have our hands full with the cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods.

Regarding oil circulation, a new "Oil Pump Drive Bearing" A-6560 will be provided. The new A-6560 is secured with a setscrew and will block off oil.

In the valve chamber, there is a horizontal passage (Full-length oil galley) between lifter bosses and cylinders that feeds oil to all crankshaft and camshaft bearings.

Oil can take one of two paths. For a stock unfiltered engine, there is a horizontal passage behind the 1/8 inch pipe plug on the side of the cylinder block which leads to a vertical passage which connects to the full-length oil galley. For a filtered engine, the horizontal passage behind the 1/8 inch pipe plug is plugged with a setscrew and all oil exits through the 1/8 inch plug. From there, oil goes through a filter and returns to the engine through the lower bolt of the "Cylinder Timing Gear Cover Side" (A-6017) which connects to the full-length oil galley.

Last edited by Terry Burtz, Calif; 08-25-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #73
wrpercival

For those that may not have yet seen it, I received the following email update today from Terry Burtz regarding the development progress of the new engine.

-------------------------------------------------

Hello to All,

24 Sep 2019

Updates

In case someone gets this Email without seeing the article on the new Model A engine, the article can be found at: http://www.modelaengine.com

If anyone has a question, concern, comment, or suggestion, please let me know at [email protected] and I’ll do my best to resolve the issue.

New Engine

This project started in 2007 and stalled in 2015 because of sky-rocketing cost and the lack of quality control at foundries in California.

Previous updates, pictures, and videos can be found at: http://www.modelaengine.com

Also see: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265782 for additional information including many questions and answers.

I use the term "new engine" loosely because the only new parts are the cylinder block, crankshaft, and connecting rods. All interfaces for mating parts are identical to original and have been documented from original Ford drawings.

In the 2 July 2019 update, I was happy to state that the project was resurrected and I would be working with others to have the "new engine" manufactured in China.

A lot has happened since the last update on 19 August 2019.

John, who is responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance, has been in China for the past few weeks. In preparation for his trip, 30% 3D scale models of all cylinder block cores, main bearing caps, connecting rod, and the crankshaft were rapid prototyped (3D printed) in plastic.

The purpose of providing the 3D printed models was to help the engineers in China understand what we want them to produce. The factory in China has SolidWorks models of the cylinder block cores, main bearing caps, machined cylinder block, crankshaft, connecting rod along with an original cylinder block and the one good casting from Lodi Iron Works for reference.

Cylinder Block

John spent days presenting the new design to the engineers in China, and John and I were in Email contact daily where questions and suggestions were presented and resolved.

The engineers in China are familiar with current design (2019) engines, and this engine seems a bit strange to them. It's hard for them to imagine why anyone would want to build an engine from the 1920's and use 1970's (50-year-old) technology.

My SolidWorks machining model has oil passages that will allow the oil to flow in two different directions. One direction is designed as original to not use an oil filter, and the other uses an oil filter. This two direction design where the engine builder can choose which to use requires oil passages to be drilled at compound angles instead of vertical, horizontal, or a simple angle.

The engineers in China didn't initially quite understand the reason for the oil passage design. However, from the questions they asked and the suggestions they made, my feeling is that they are are very competent and detail-oriented.

There are many places where a design error could have occurred. My SolidWorks models have not been checked against the original Ford cylinder block drawing. Additionally, the engineers in China convert everything to metric. The end goal of John's meetings was to assist and ensure that the engineers in China understand the SolidWorks machining model which will enable them to get their CNC file correct.

For example, I did not complete the SolidWorks machining model to include threads for setscrews to plug the ends of oil passages and other minor details because I was unable to get good castings. These minor details generated many of the questions.

In the end, the only change that was made to the SolidWorks machining model was to change the oil feed to camshaft bearing #5, and this change was needed to make room for the main oil gallery plug at the rear of the cylinder block.

I have suggested that when the engineers in China get their CNC machining file complete, that they then machine the one good cylinder block from Lodi Iron Works.

Machining the "good" cylinder block can verify that their CNC file is correct. The interfaces of attached parts (head, oil pan, valve chamber cover, timing gear covers, valve train, oil pump, etc) can be compared between the original cylinder block and the machined cylinder block from Lodi Iron Works to verify agreement.

After CNC machining, the "good" casting, it should be cut apart to verify wall thickness for every machined feature.

This wall thickness verification can then be used to make changes if needed to the SolidWorks models of the cylinder block cores.

Clear as mud? There are many details to check and verify. Relaying these things in our updates can sometimes make it seem that way.

Connecting Rod, Main Caps, and Crankshaft

These parts are much simpler than the cylinder block and they will be made of malleable iron. The 1932 Ford V-8 crankshaft was cast malleable iron, and most modern engines use malleable iron crankshafts.

SolidWorks models have been provided and the instructions to the factory in China is to follow the SolidWorks models. These are simpler parts (compared to the cylinder block) and will be worked on when the cylinder block engineering is complete.

Dimensional and balancing tolerances are being specified to be equal or exceed the tolerances on the Ford drawings.

Next Update

We are hopeful that we will have the first machined samples available by late fall and will send updates including pictures as the project matures.

The 7 attached pictures were taken during the most recent meetings in China.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #74
hardtimes

Hey Terry,
Thanks for excellent detail, pictures/diagrams and report !
There is an aluminum engine (Donovan D) that used to be available from Mrs Donovan in very small quanity, i.e....only 30 ever produced...via Mrs. Donovan. This D engine was VERY expensive, compared to what you envision your creation costs !
The exciting part of interest , to me at least, is that YOUR engine oiling scheme mirrors the oil system of the D !! Very sophisticated oiling , compared to the original A and B blks ! This oil system of yours should enable your engine to last forever....given proper maintenance.
Thanks for not giving up on your/our dream of making such engine !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #75
wrpercival

FYI - Terry Burtz recently posted the following update on the Model A engine block development:

---------------------------------------------------

Hello to All,

26 November 2019

Updates

New Engine

Previous updates, pictures, and videos can be found at: www.modelaengine.com

In the 2 July 2019 update, I was happy to state that the project was resurrected and I would be working with others to have the "new engine" manufactured in China.

A lot has happened since the last update on 24 Sept 2019.

John, who is responsible for manufacturing and quality assurance, has been to China twice since the last update. Between flights on his last trip, I picked him up at SFO, and we spent several hours going over the design, physically seeing parts, and how the parts are assembled. John also took samples of the 3 studs used for new engine main bearing cap retention, and a A-6551, A-6550, and A-6561 distributor/oil pump gear and bushing assembly for the engineers in China to better understand the design and how parts fit together.

The cylinder block and main caps will be manufactured in one factory and the crankshaft and connecting rods will be manufactured in another factory. Both factories will be working together so that there are no conflicts.

Cylinder Block and Main Caps

The exterior of the cylinder block will be based on computer 3-dimensional models derived from CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) and Laser scanning of the original cylinder block that was sent to China.

The need for CMM and Laser scanning is because the Ford drawing of the cylinder block did not specify parting lines, draft, and many other details that were left to the discretion of the pattern makers.

For machining of the cylinder block, the engineers in China have made drawings that are based on my SolidWorks models that were derived from the Ford drawing.

Both the engineers in China and I have asked for minor changes to be made to the original SolidWorks design. We have worked through these changes, and are in agreement, so the design is "frozen" unless something unforeseen comes up.

The drawings that were created in China are dimensioned from an origin where 3 perpendicular planes intersect, and almost all machined dimensions are from these 3 planes. This dimensioning system is much easier to understand than the stacked dimensioning system used on the Ford drawing (A-6015).

My job, which I have just finished, was to verify that the drawings from China are correctly dimensioned. China works to the metric system, so all dimensions have been converted from inches to millimeters. We are on the 5th drawing revision, and I think that the drawings are good to proceed.

The first castings are scheduled to be completed by the middle of January 2020. John asked if it would be good to display the castings at the Turlock swap meet which is the last weekend of January 2020. My reply was no because the one good cylinder block casting from Lodi Iron Works was previously displayed by John LaVoy, the editor of Model A Times at Turlock for several years, and the new cylinder block from China should be identical.

Although the studs and nuts will have inch threads, they will be manufactured to metric Class 10.9 which is similar to SAE Grade 8 (150 KSI). The threads on the studs that fasten the main caps will be rolled which is stronger than cut threads.

The first two pictures attached show a SolidWorks assembly of the machined cylinder block along with main caps and crankshaft. The 3rd and 4th pictures are photos of the drawings from China that have been checked.

Crankshaft and Connecting Rods

John met with the crankshaft and connecting rod manufacturer to go over the design. John and I communicate almost daily when he is in China.

The factory in China typically rolls crankshaft journal fillets which is great because the material in the fillets is compacted by rolling which is a deterrent to fatigue cracks. They asked if we wanted rolled fillets and my reply was yes.

The factory also asked about balancing and I replied that we wanted the crankshaft dynamically balanced to 2 oz-in (1.41 Newton-cm) or less. The Ford Model A crankshafts were dynamically balanced to 3 oz-in according to Ford drawing A-6303.V-8 engines built during the muscle car era were typically balanced to 2 oz-in. New engines with higher RPM's are balanced even closer.

Another question asked was about hardening of journals and the rear main seal rubbing surface. My reply was that it would be good to have the hardness still intact if the journals were ground .030 inch undersize.

Several people have asked what bearing insert is being used. The answer is that all (main and rod) journals are 2-inch diameter and any of the following inserts can be used: Clevite CB-745 series, Federal Mogul 2020 series, King Bearing CR803 series, Sealed power 8-7065 series, and others. When I say series, several letters and numbers are used in the suffix depending on the material, radii, and undersize. We will be using a Clevite CB745P which is tri-metal and standard size.

Questions regarding what the rear seal have also been asked. The rear seal will be a radial lip seal with a steel housing. The new cylinder block and rear main cap will have a bore of 5-inch diameter, and the crankshaft will have the flywheel mounting flange (4-inch diameter) that is extended forward to provide a seal rubbing surface. The rear seal will be a SKF 39933, Timken 415035, or others with a 5 inch OD that seals on a 4-inch shaft.

SolidWorks models of the crankshaft and connecting rods have been provided and the instructions to the factory in China are to follow the SolidWorks models. 

Next Update

The latest schedule (subject to change) looks like we will have castings around the middle of January 2020, and machined parts in the middle of March 2020. The machined parts will need to be evaluated and tested before production begins.

There have been no changes that will have an effect on pricing. The pricing goal is to provide these parts a price that is competitive with the cost of machine work for a rebuild.

The next update will be after castings have been made which should occur in January 2020. These first castings will need to be cut apart or sonically tested to verify wall thickness before they are machined.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg assy, jpeg 1 for nov 2019.jpg (44.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg assy, jpeg 2 for nov 2019.jpg (35.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0161.jpg (57.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0162.jpg (53.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 11-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #76
Model A Man

Even though I don’t understand most of everything of what is written, it is very exciting to see this coming together. I know I will need at least one motor. Can’t wait. Thanks Terry.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #77
gdmn852

Good luck on your engine project, I hope it works out.As a retired Tool and die maker can appreciate the amount of 3 d modeling and research that had to be done just for the project.Gary
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #78
Kenneth Lohorn

The U.S. has engaged in world trade since it's inception. We do not have to make everything in the U.S. for it's consumption. The leaders and businessmen need to provide something that the other countries need in order to have equal trade. Economic is complex and frequently involves several countries buying and selling to each other. If this is done with minimal greed and corruption, it will work. The U.S. was moving in that direction until the farmers got screwed with the agricultural trade with China.
Kenneth Lohorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #79
dumb person

I see interesting things with 3D printed metal.
Laser melted powder method versus bound particles.

Might be possible to print them with the latest larger printers soon.

Right now, laser melted aluminium powder costs $800 per pound of finished product though.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #80
Terry Burtz, Calif

Thanks to everyone interested in this project which should result in a new Model A Ford engine that looks totally stock on the exterior, but has 1970's technology on the interior. Interest in this project has generated lots of questions that I have answered by Email. What follows is a few of the more interesting questions followed by my answers. The questions and comments are in italics and unedited with the exception that I removed names.

Thanks Terry for the update. The new block sounds good and I am looking forward to getting it. I can handle the rest.

My “A” was built in June of 29. Even though the engine is original to the car as I knew both the original owner and the owner who sold me the car so I know it was not changed. The engine was made in October of 28. I would have to look at the stamp again to know it build location as I have forgotten. These blocks had a casting problem that deflected the water flow just a tiny bit. This was corrected in the later 29 blocks. Both the 28 and 29 castings had a high nickel content to rectify some of the heating problems and the shorter radiator. One of the solutions is to grind down the casting at the water inlet and this has helped about 50% of those I know of. Ford changed the water jacket casting in the middle to late 29 and increased the radiator height and installed a standard 3 row in the cars and 4 row in the trucks. The great race is generally run with the late 29 engine because the higher nickel content provides higher cooling and the block holds up better in general. I have a Brass Works 11 fins per inch and am pressurized. Not a perfect solution but getting me by until I change engines or try to trim the molding to recommended specs.

As you block is built to the later drawings, it will work great and I don’t expect any heating problems. I was going to build up another block but decided to wait for yours as it fixes everything and more. Thank you for doing this. For those of us that truly love the Model A, it is a real God Send.

Ford's design for cooling water is not very good. Cool water should enter the cylinder block between cylinders 3 and 4 instead of 2 and 3. The water pump should be located low so that it pushes cool water into the cylinder block instead of sucking hot water out at the end of the head. The water jacket should extend lower to the bottom of the cylinders. An even better cooling path would be to supply cool water near cylinders 1 and 4 and have hot water flow from the head between cylinders 2 and 3.

Since any of the above changes would alter the external appearance, they are not part of the "new engine" design.

During Model A production, Ford changed the deflector just inside the cool water entrance on the side of the cylinder block, and the "new engine" has the latest design deflector.

Wow, you just blow me away with your tenacity and perfection for design. Thank you.

I need a new engine for my 29 Tudor which I have tolerated the slow overheating problems inherent from when the car was new I am sure. It is a great and reliable engine with some TLC I have driven it for 40 K miles. I am waiting for your engine as I was convinced when I talked to you in San Diego a few years ago this was the right way to go. I am so excited about your work.

Everything is what I could hope for and more. Let us know when you need an order – I am ready. Can this be a short or full block? Don’t have to answer; just something to think about as a full block replacement would be good for me as at my age, I can change engines, but no longer have space or tools to do much rebuilding. I am ready either way. I have a “B” head, but has been resurfaced more than once I am sure. If the pistons are flat with the top it will work. The head has developed a crack, but does not interfere with anything or performance at this time. This is the reason I asked about the head. Will you have a recommended head or build one as well? I know this will be answered as well after the engine is tested and you can see what works best. So many great possibilities. Can’t wait to go touring with this engine. A drive is 100 to 200 miles. A tour for me is generally 400 to 800 miles. My engine is also inserted and I can drive 60 mph or slightly higher for a very short distance to handle traffic entering a freeway. I normally drive between 50 and 53 as that is my sweet spot. Even so, in warm weather it slowly heats so I have to drop to 40 or 45 to allow it to cool. My engine water baffling is the problem. I had it scoped and it is clear of any debris and the walls are clean. My car is original, so I still have an original front end and it is not designed for high speeds. More than you want to know. Your engine will solve all my problems. Thanks again.

The "new engine" consists of a cylinder block, crankshaft, and 4 connecting rods. All small hardware (dowel pins, studs, nuts, thrust washers, connecting rod bolts, and woodruff key) is included. Cam bushings will be installed in the cylinder block, and the small end of the connecting rods will have bushings installed.

To make a short block, you will need to supply a camshaft, lifters, valves, valve guides, timing gears, oil pump and oil pump/distributor drive gear, pistons, rings, and bearing inserts. Since there are several varieties of the above-mentioned parts, you or your engine builder can build exactly what you want. All interfaces where parts attach are identical to stock so everything will fit.

The "new engine" cylinder block will be machined to the Ford drawing (A-6015) that has the pistons protruding .032 inches above the top of the cylinder block. If your head has been surfaced numerous times, the recess in the head may need to be machined deeper.

I have been following the progress of the new motor for a few years now and I’m very excited, great work! I can’t seem to find a previous discussion about the weight of the new motor with the new crankshaft and other parts. You expect it to be a heavier motor than the original, correct? By how much roughly?

Thanks for your question and interest in this project.

The new engine parts will be heavier than the weight of the original Model A engine parts.

Regarding the cylinder block, I thickened the left side water jacket wall by 1/32 inch to make it more resistant to freeze cracking, added material between the exhaust ports and cylinders to make that area less prone to cracking, added 2 intermediate webs to support the 5 main crankshaft, added bosses for the main oil galley and all feeds to main and camshaft bearings, added material to the rear main area to accommodate the larger 2-inch diameter bearing, and made all 5 main bearing caps larger because the bearings are larger and to make them stronger. I will guess that the new cylinder block and main bearing caps will be close to weigh around 20 pounds heavier than an original cylinder block with main caps. All of these changes will not be visible from the exterior.

The new engine 5 main crankshaft with 8 counterweights, larger bearings, and extended flywheel mounting flange for the rear main seal will weigh just over 60 pounds. This weight is close to the weight of 4 cylinder racing engine crankshafts with similar displacement engines that raced in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.

The connecting rods are also heavier for strength and to accommodate the 2-inch diameter big end bearing, and they will weigh about 1.7 pounds each.

Thanks for the update.
Two questions is the new engine going to have a full pressurized oil system and is proposed to have larger intake valves?

Yes, pressurized oil is supplied to an oil galley that runs the full length of the cylinder block.

From this galley, oil is fed to the main and camshaft bearings.

The crankshaft is drilled, and oil will be fed from the main bearings to the connecting rod bearings.

Intake valve ports are stock and can be enlarged by the engine builder if desired. Intake ports are streamlined for better flow.

I'm liking it Terry! Make sure the block has enough material for the main brg. studs won't pull out, I've seen that happen on Model B racing engines when std. length studs were substituted for the stock bolts. The result is disaster!

All studs and nuts will be the equivalent of Grade 8 hardware.

Stud threads will be rolled (cold-formed) instead of cut for better finish and grain direction.

Main bearings 2 and 4 will use 7/16 dia. studs that are UNC and UNF. The UNC end will engage the cylinder block by just over 2 diameters (7/8 inch).

Main bearing 5 (rear main) will be retained with 1/2 inch dia studs, and again engagement into the cylinder block is just over 2 diameters (1 inch).

Main bearings 1 and 3 (front and center) will have studs that are 1/2 UNF at the top (like original for castellated nut) and reduced to 7/16 inch dia. before the cylinder block/main bearing cap interface.

To summarize, 8, 7/16 - 20 UNF 12 pt nuts (McMaster Carr 90759A450) and 2, 1/2 - 20 UNF 12 pt nuts (McMaster Carr 90759A550) are used to retain the main bearing caps. All threads are Class 3.

Hi Terry, Having played with A engines and their head gaskets. ( I used to make commercial annealed copper head gaskets in various thicknesses) Have you thought about having the block 'figure of eight' machined for round copper wire inserts into the block. No more gasket problems! Looks like the project is proceeding smoothly.

Yes, I have given it thought. In fact, I have a HAL DOHC engine that is 5 main and based on a Model A cylinder block. With DOHC, it has a circular groove for wire around the cylinders. No head gasket is used because the water passages are sealed with Permatex #2.

I consider a wire groove something that a performance engine builder would add because the groove configuration would be different for an L head, F head, or DOHC.

The "new" engine will have all stock interfaces with no groove.

Thanks for the question.

Hello Terry

I’m pleased to see that the engine project is still underway.

Early 1928 Model A camshafts had 5 bearings, while later Model A camshafts had 3. Will your 5-main engine use 3 or 5 bearing camshafts?

The new cylinder block will have 5 camshaft bearings with bushings.

The #1, #3, and #5 camshaft bushings will have holes in them for pressure lube from the main oil galley.

A 3 or 5 bearing camshaft can be used.

Camshaft bushings #2 and #4 will not have oil holes and the bushings will block off the oil passages.

If a 5 bearing camshaft is used, the engine builder will drill holes in camshaft bushings #2 and #4 to open the passages for oil pressure.

Hi Terry
It is encouraging to hear about the great progress you are making on the new engine. You did a little seminar for me at our CCRG Jamboree here in Visalia several years ago but a lot of things have happened since then.
I know it is kinda far in the future to plan anything ... especially for us older folks ... but Visalia is going to have the central California Jamboree again in April 9 - 10 in 2021 and would love to have you do a show and tell about your new engine. You might even be in production of he engines by then and have engines running and taking orders. I sure hope so since several people in our chapter who are very interested in your progress and are even looking for a good engine. I have re-built several engines with inserts etc. but they don't have the advanced technology and dependability you are incorporating in your new engines.
Let me know if this is something you would be interested in putting on your calendar and we can also plan for our agenda. As before we will be happy to provide you with a room and meals for the event.

Thank you for the invitation.
I would love to do a presentation at the next Jamboree, however, I am hesitant to commit at this time because I don't know if I'll have parts to display.
We expect to have castings towards the end of January 2020, and machined parts in the middle of March 2020.
If the schedule holds, yes, I will be there.
We need to talk again at the end of Jan 2020 when I will have a better idea of the hardware schedule.

Hi Terry,
Great work and thank you for what you are doing.
Will one be able to use sae size bolts ( I. e. Oil pan ) on the new block?

Although all hole locations are dimensioned in millimeters, the threads will be UNC or UNF depending on location.

Some threads like the oil pan attachment bolts will be Class 2 (looser fit), and some like the flywheel attachment bolts will be Class 3 (tighter fit).

To make a long story short, no metric threads are used and any fastener used in an original Model A engine will work with the new engine.