Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #61
DavidG

Default Re: '32 standard roadster project - some further progress

Thanks for the compliment.

Theoretically, the windshield finger pulls on the phaeton and roadster windshield frame were painted black on the standard models, like the inside rear view mirror bracket. But, of the five standard phaetons and roadsters that I've owned, three had the chrome-plated deluxe finger pulls and as all still had their original windshield frames it is highly unlikely that the finger pulls were changed.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #62
BoxCar Tom

Looked at this original, unmolested, B, STD, 1932 Ford roadster in 2008. The owner was nice enough to let me take a look at it even though it sold the night before. Seven years later I came across it as a reassembled car. Thank GOD the 1 800 Hot Rod guys didn't get their hands on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 Ford STD Roadster DSCN3046.jpg (73.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Ford STD Roadster DSCN3030.jpg (34.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Ford STD Roadster DSCN3044.jpg (73.2 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Ford STD Roadster DSCN3031.jpg (56.5 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Ford STD Roadster DSCN3032.jpg (63.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Ford STD Roadster DSCN3045.jpg (75.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 Ford STD Roadster DSCN3053.jpg (64.2 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg 32 Ford Std Roadster A.jpg (62.7 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg 32 Ford Std Roadster B.jpg (76.6 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg 32 Ford Std Roadster C.jpg (67.4 KB, 87 views)
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #63
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
Looked at this original, unmolested, B, STD, 1932 Ford roadster in 2008. The owner was nice enough to let me take a look at it even though it sold the night before. Seven years later I came across it as a reassembled car. Thank GOD the 1 800 Hot Rod guys didn't get their hands on it.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #64
woodiewagon46

It's refreshing to see a standard roadster. It seems like every '32 that came from the factory had dual side mounts. Just like the Model A roadsters when they were popular, everyone had dual side mounts and were painted Arabian Sand. Nice car Dave, I wouldn't rush, I doubt we are going to any shows this season. All of the shows I regularly attend have been canceled as far out as September, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for HERSHEY.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #65
DavidG

The roadster in BoxCar Tom's photos is amazingly original and an important case study. I have dozens and dozens of photos of it inside and out which I refer to often.

Note the additional example of chrome plated finger pulls on the windshield frame which in theory should be black painted.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #66
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Note the additional example of chrome plated finger pulls on the windshield frame which in theory should be black painted.
"chrome plated"?....Looks like nickel to me....

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 05-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #67
DavidG

Nope, chrome over nickel. Keep in mind that was you see is the product of 80+ years of weathering.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:33 PM   #68
BoxCar Tom

Im surprised, no comment about the STD inside door handle escutcheons and door panels, and the dash is painted body color? The car was originally painted Brewster green but was over painted with flat black primer?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 AM   #69
DavidG

The inside door handle escutcheons on the standard phaetons and roadsters were a unique shape, similar to one of the Model A versions, and originally painted brown. It is much simpler than the nickel-plated version used on the '32 deluxe models.

The standards also lacked door pockets as shown in the photo. The dark brown/black artificial leather upholstery material has, unfortunately, been nearly ripped off in its entirety. The body color dash is strange in that the engineering drawing specifies that it be painted 'interior gray', the same color as used on standard closed cars. Perhaps it was repainted way back when? The dashes on my other standard open cars all have evidence of having been originally painted 'interior gray'.

As for the flat black primer, to me it is a bit of a sacrilege given that the original two-tone green wasn't in that bad a condition when this car first came out of hibernation in Maryland.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #70
BoxCar Tom

Dave, All this chatter about std car details, Its been a while since this thread started, any more recent pictures? Completed car? Thanks, Tom
Old 05-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #71
DavidG

Tom,

It should have been completed by now, but during 2018 and 2019 I was distracted by higher priorities and this year I am yet marooned 1,600 miles away from it. All the fenders and running boards are on it now along with the head lamp bar, so what's left is a very short list. No further photos, however. Hopefully it will be done later this year.

Thanks for asking.

Dave
Old 05-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #72
ct1932ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
"Be Still My Heart"
Old 05-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #73
swanwaco32

David Where did the cowl and grille lacing come from? The Vintique stuff flattens out over time and the hood fit changes too much. Thanks for all the help..!!
swanwaco32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #74
DavidG

The original type lacing with the hard, dark brown core came from A&L Parts Specialties in Canton, CT, but years ago. Evidently there were EPA issues with its manufacture and it is no longer available. I know that A&L persistently tried to find other sources for the hard core material without success. The soft white core welting sold today does flatten out over time from the weight of the hood plus the downward pressure exerted by the latches altering the hood fit, as you indicated.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #75
Kube

Quote:
The original type lacing with the hard, dark brown core came from A&L Parts Specialties in Canton, CT, but years ago. Evidently there were EPA issues with its manufacture and it is no longer available. I know that A&L persistently tried to find other sources for the hard core material without success. The soft white core welting sold today does flatten out over time from the weight of the hood plus the downward pressure exerted by the latches altering the hood fit, as you indicated.
Yikes! I don't know what else to say. Perhaps how amazed I remain with you in respect to the workmanship and dedication to detail you demand of yourself.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:22 AM   #76
swanwaco32

Quote:
Thanks David..!! Love all your post..
swanwaco32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #77
petehoovie

Some good shots in this video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHy0vHL5eQ&app=desktop

Old 05-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #78
DavidG

Just about every model shown other than a standard open car and a convertible sedan.

The evidently unsold Model As are perhaps indicative of the economic hard times that existed, given that 1932 was the depth of the Depression. We now seeing some of those historic unemployment highs again for another reason.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #79
rockfla

Quote:
Just about every model shown other than a standard open car and a convertible sedan.

The evidently unsold Model As are perhaps indicative of the economic hard times that existed, given that 1932 was the depth of the Depression. We now seeing some of those historic unemployment highs again for another reason.
Interestingly, David, toward the end showing the "A"'s lined up against the wall as they went down the line ......."Most" OR at least 3 appeared to be of the 28-29 variety!!!

ALSO interesting to me on the 32's is the "quality" of the reflections of the paint finishes........which make me wonder about people who make the comments of cars being "over restored"!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #80
DavidG

Robert,

The finishes reflected what can be done with nitro lacquer, which is what Ford used on the bodies until the '33s in the U.S. (until the '34s in Canada). Commercial vehicle bodies weren't buffed out (except the deluxe panels, sedan deliveries, and station wagons) unless you paid extra. I know of no one restoring a '32 pickup, for example, who isn't paying for that option. It would be refreshing to see one turn up for judging with an unpolished finish, like the original pickup base vehicle.

In the photo below from Ford's archives note the unpolished finish on the cabs of the trucks and the hood and bed of the pickup front and center (which appears to have been painted with three slightly different shades of the same color). The irony in the pickup's case is that it has the extra-cost pin striping option.

The fenders, head lamps, and wheels have a high gloss finish as they were dipped in enamel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 086.jpg (44.4 KB, 44 views)