Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2020, 04:27 AM   #41
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Help Me -before I go mad

Cant believe no one has suggested a faulty condensor 11 a misfire and then a stall , then a restart looks like a condensor breaking down for sure to me !!!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #42
Terry,OH

Bubba: In post #1 he replaced both the coil and ignition condenser, he did mention he had radio suppression so in post #5, I suggested he remove the radio suppression condenser on the coil and try it again. I agree it sounds exactly like a bad condenser. Years ago I bought a couple of ignition condensers from Mac's and both were bad out of the box. I am wondering what ignition condenser you use for the 33-36 distributor? By the way I no longer use Mac's condensers.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #43
tubman

In case anyone i9s interested, we are just finishing development of a replacement '33-'36 condenser. These are made from scratch to the same standards as our "Trash Can Condenser" (which has proven to be very reliable over the last 5 years). It seems that replacements are available for these but they are of very inferior quality.

After a couple of false starts, I think we now have a quality product.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #44
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Karl ,We see these problems almost daily in our shop ,here's one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019 pictures 3082.jpg (32.7 KB, 66 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #45
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Ted send it down south, I'd gladly work through it over 10 years!
Great looking car
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #46
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Ted after things settling a little the problem is back but not as bad.
Almost everything I could change has been changed The only thing left is the spark leads -I have a set of on the way from Michael Driskell so will put those in and see how we go. -If that doesn't work I'll take a week off work and drive it up to Auckland and let you sort it -Karl
Old 05-27-2020, 04:18 AM   #47
Karl

Finally I think I'm getting somewhere. As mentioned by a few posters here already I think the problem is on the radio interference resistors on the end of the spark plug leads. I have noted that when i have been pulling the plug wires off to check for spark when running I have been getting a shock through the resistor bodies on some of them. Today I replaced them with a new set of NGK 5000 Ohm resistors. Just for interest I checked the resistance on the old resistors they were all over the place they ranged from 9000 ohms to 48000 ohms -not sure if this is the cause off the problem but seems to be running better .
Old 05-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #48
koates

Karl, I think you have hit on something here. 48000 ohms is way to high. I have the original type right angle plug resistors on my 34 Ford and they are rated at 15000 ohms which is about a standard for these units. Never had any problems with them and the glove box radio works great. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:56 AM   #49
Tinker

Karl, you going mad yet?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #50
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Karl, you going mad yet?
Yep getting worse Missing back again . The next step is to replace the Spark plug leads with a new set from Mike over this weekend and see what happens then. I plan to replace them with out routing them through the conduits until I'm sure that they fix the problem.

If that doesn't work then I wonder about fuel starvation (as my mechanic did blow back through the lines (as well as fiddling with what he thought was a short) and was good for a while that is he thought he had fixed as it drove ok for 20 mins ? Coincidence ) if there is some gunge in the tank I guess it could block the fuel uptake - So the next time the missing and bucking starts I will pop the clutch turn the key off and coast to the side of the road - and then see if the fuel pump glass bowl has an air gap at the top

If that doesn't work then I'll buy a Chev! -Karl
Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #51
tubman

Karl - Please don't go to that length. You may be on to something with the "gunge in the tank" theory. I had exactly that problem with a '36 I bought about 30 years ago. Until I was able to get around to dropping the tank, etc. I found that if I never let the fuel level go below half a tank, I didn't have the problem. Whatever it was must have been mostly floating around in the tank and if there was enough gas, it kept it away from the pickup.

I also had a friend who was able to score a very nice '67 Nova hardtop with the same problem. Sure enough, there was a rag in the fuel tank. That was the good news; the bad news was that it was a 6 cylinder/Powerglide.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:05 AM   #52
Mart

Ok I'll give my opinion.

If you consider the ht side of the ignition as "weak", in other words, the spark will try and go astray before getting to the plug, try and reduce resistance where possible.

Solid core wires, solid connections to the plugs, (no resistor caps) and spark plug gaps no more than .025".

This will give the spark the best chance of ending at the plug tip instead of finding an easier path somewhere else.

If the cap, or rotor have been compromised and have been giving problems, they will probably keep doing it.

New cap, new rotor, leads and connections to plugs like I describe and all should be good.

If it is the ht side that is giving problems. If it is points, condensor or coil I can't say, but believe me, the ht side is often overlooked and I had lots of problems all around the ht side. (ht = high tension).

I had lucas, helmet and crab all with these problems. solid leads, no resistance caps and tight plug gaps sorted it out. But it had to be backed up by replacing the compromised rotors and caps.

Mart.

Last edited by Mart; 05-30-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #53
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Yes I could help ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #54
Karl

I found you -you little #%#%# !

Update form my last post I drained the tank and found some thin membranous stuff in it ? POR 15 tank lining or perhaps vanish -I fiqured it might be blocking the intake in the tank causing intermittent starvation-Before pulling the tank and cleaning it -I by-passed the tank and fuel line and applied a line direct to the fuel pump and ran it into a can of clean gas inside the car - Still missed !

My neighbour has always suspected the spark plug leads so i changed those out yesterday and went for a test run today. Still missing and fact missed to the point were it wouldn't keep going . Luckily occurred on a straight stretch of road so before it died i pushed the clutch in and turned the ignition off and coasted into the side of the road. (I wasn't worried about steering lock as I was going slow and didn't need to turn the wheel ) . Looking under the hood and there you are an air fluid level in the fuel pump bowl. Its sucking air at the fuel pump bowl -Just as one of the early posters suggested on here !- So next weekends job is to fix that -One of the few non original parts i have on my car is the fuel pump with a bowl - Given the varnish in the gas I might stick with it for now -Karl
Old 06-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #55
petehoovie

Yup! - Posts #11 and #22....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:07 PM   #56
Tinker

Glad you figured it out! Napa sells sheets of cork.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote