Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #21
PalAl

Default Re: The source of the problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I see merit in Joe B he says even though I don't own a Model A that is near original. After driving an original spec car for a while, I realised how much driving conditions must have changed since the Model A was a current car. It was either park the car or get it to the point where I wasn't a (slowly) moving road block. I chose the latter and have since driven my Phaeton places I would never even imagined going before I worked on he performance.
On this forum, there are those who are sticklers for originality (I once was too) and those who don't mind putting their stamp on the car. Henry had things pretty right for the day but there have been a lot of clever people making improvement since If Henry were still here, would he build a car like the Model A now? NO, he would incorporate what he and others have learned since. It's called progress.
Yep, it's your car do with it as you choose to get safely down the road. Some like a car on a trailer, some like to sit at a car show, others enjoy driving the back roads and touring this great country with friends who enjoy the same. There is no wrong, we are all enjoying our cars as we wish. That's why it's our car. Lets all try to do it in the safest way possible.
Ya gotta love this hobby!
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #22
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
>>My observation of the topics is that the great preponderance have to do with problems associated with design alterations and/or non-standard parts.

A Weber carb is reliable, overdrives seem to work good, synchro gearboxes seem fine, high comp heads seem trouble free, new cranks seem OK, good camshafts available, radial tyres work good, V8 wheels seem to last, electronic ignition hmmm, alternators are OK, water pumps with water were always dodgy anyway, high speed diffs are OK, new radiators of all sorts seem to work.

What's left?
LED lights and AC..... LOL
Old 05-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #23
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
I have watched people spend copious amounts of money on their airplanes only to screw up a perfectly good airplane. How much can you spend on a classic car only to have a car that’s no longer fun to drive. When is a model A no longer a model A. I do not see the lure of proving I can keep up in freeway traffic. Give me country roads where I can enjoy my A. At my age driving my A is relaxing. Time to slow down and enjoy life.
I totally agree backroads at a slow speed are the way to go, just do it as safe and comfortable as possible.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #24
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Lets see..starting from the engine..

1.Winfield red head.7.5 to 1
2. B distributor
3.Ansen intake with a single Holley 94
4. Late B high lift cam
5.Red's 4 into 2 header
6. 2 1/2" exhaust with resonator
7. Horn harmonic balancer
8. full front and rear modern engine mounts.
9.high speed babbit with stock A crankshaft,lube line to center main.
10. full oil filtration
11. hardened valve seats
12. B flywheel balanced with PP
13. 12v alternator electrical system using relays and modern blade fuses
14. modern bendix starter drive
15.Mitchell OD
16. cast iron brake drums
17. teflon tie rod and drag link cups
18.F100 steering box
19.16" wire wheels with modern radials.

Looks like Ill be working on it forever given the subject of the thread..I like the solitude and satisfaction of the shop almost as much as I like driving the car.I can leave it in low range and drive it just like a stock A, or shift it into high range and drive it in modern traffic conditions.
Jack how about some pictures of that bad boy and it's toys.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #25
PalAl

Quote:
So you no longer have a model A.
Oh boy, Joe just lost the "GOLDEN SPOON" award...LOL
Old 05-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #26
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Jack how about some pictures of that bad boy and it's toys.

It aint nothing special,Mr Brierley has the "bad boys"...one thing I do have in common with Jim is we both spent a career as mechanics..but other than that Im a ham and egger,he wrote the book ( its actually true,he did write a book on 'bangers )
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #27
Mad Mac

Quote:
I have watched people spend copious amounts of money on their airplanes only to screw up a perfectly good airplane. How much can you spend on a classic car only to have a car that’s no longer fun to drive. When is a model A no longer a model A. I do not see the lure of proving I can keep up in freeway traffic. Give me country roads where I can enjoy my A. At my age driving my A is relaxing. Time to slow down and enjoy life.
Yeah. What he says.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #28
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
It aint nothing special,Mr Brierley has the "bad boys"...one thing I do have in common with Jim is we both spent a career as mechanics..but other than that Im a ham and egger,he wrote the book ( its actually true,he did write a book on 'bangers )
Yes sir, I have that book... a wealth of knowledge.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:41 PM   #29
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Its just a different part of the hobby,hopping up ford flat head fours.Don't like it? do your own thing.I keep my negative opinions to myself..unless you take on a car and don't finish it..purist,hotrodder,banger dont matter,you'll get a ration of shit from me for tearing something apart and not finishing it
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:00 AM   #30
RB_Nielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
Just an observation.. no judgement or criticism intended. Reading through the postings here, and most are very informative.... for that I'm grateful to the responders. My observation of the topics is that the great preponderance have to do with problems associated with design alterations and/or non-standard parts. Makes one wonder what this forum would look like if all the issues were related to strictly stock Model A's … maybe Henry did have it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
Joe B

Joe,

Maybe you should look into starting such a website then you wont have to wonder what that would look like. It might actually be your dream so sally forth.
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:43 AM   #31
Chuck Sea/Tac

You got it right. To quote Ryan the moderator, paraphrase: to build a stock model A is about as lame as it’s gets. I see most of you agree.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:46 AM   #32
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
You got it right. To quote Ryan the moderator, paraphrase: to build a stock model A is about as lame as it’s gets. I see most of you agree.
Just curious, where does it say that?

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #33
Chris in WNC

over 30 years and 50-60,000 miles of Model A driving I learned (the hard way in several cases) what works and doesn't work for me.
Seat belts- DON'T leave home without them. When I buy a car, it is quarantined until I can get seat belts installed.
Highway driving cries out for a high-compression head. If you're just putting around in town under 45mph, no need to bother.
The same goes for Mitchell overdrive or 3:54 ring & pinion.
I tried "modern" points/condenser and the wireless lower distributor plate plate and found them to not be worth the trouble.
Extreme duty leakless water pump is worth the money.
Ditto for cast iron brake drums- although if you have that rare car with 4 good original drums, you can get by just fine with Rocky Mtn cooling bands installed.
Alternator? Teflon steering? I like them but they are not really essential.
"your results may vary"