Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #21
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Chevy guys

I have 5 flathead powered cars and 2 brand X, 55 convertible, 57 FI plastic car. It doesn't have to be "either or". I like them both.
The guy who started this thread has a jerk for a neighbor. You can't generalize any entire group by the behavior of 1 or a few.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #22
estout81
BANNED

I had a couple of guys get real pissed at me for putting a Ford engine in a "Chevy". The car is a '81 Fairmont with a FI 5.0. I tried to tell them but, they were so smart they knew a Chevy when they saw one.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #23
Jack E/NJ

>>>was poking my seal with a pick, holes everywhere,>>>
Doesn't hurt much with compressible seals. Got any pictures?

>>>destroyed my leather, didn’t care to protect my paint>>>
Got any before and after pictures?

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #24
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
On second thought, I refuse to get involved in this....
Perhaps wise beyond your years, petehoovie!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #25
RKS.PA

Wink Re: Chevy guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead86 View Post
Hi guys, I want to ask all of you a question on why are Chevy guys only into Chevys? I love all cars, I could appreciate any car and always have respected anyone that has asked me for help,I’ve always helped with care and with a good attitude, any way, I had a bad experience with my neighbor who is a Chevy guy only, I had asked him to help me put a window seal on my rear window of my 1948 ford f1 and boy I made the biggest mistake of my life, not only was he not careful with my truck but was poking my seal with a pick, holes everywhere, he also kept on talking on chevys are the best cars and fords are trash, I ignored him and kept on working, this man did not care for my bench seats, destroyed my leather, didn’t care to protect my paint and was the biggest trash talker, maybe it’s me but I would like to asked all of you, are all Chevys guys like this? I don’t want to bitch and cry but this made me mad, thanks Steven
Steven, this isn't about Chevy's vs. anything else. This is about the fact that your neighbor would be the same way if you asked him to help you plant a tree in your back yard and guessing he'd have to remind you how much better his magnolia is than yours!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #26
tubman

As Joe Friday would say : "Just the facts, ma'am". For you that haven't experienced this, I envy you your good luck

I have a friend that has a '36 Dodge pickup mounted on a Chevelle frame, with a 289 Ford. It is a very well done truck that "works", but whenever we went anywhere, there were always a bunch of "Asshats" that had a problem with one aspect of it or another. The amusing thing about is that they usually disagreed with each other
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #27
Flathead86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Steven, this isn't about Chevy's vs. anything else. This is about the fact that your neighbor would be the same way if you asked him to help you plant a tree in your back yard and guessing he'd have to remind you how much better his magnolia is than yours!!
I don’t think so, he’s pride for Chevrolet won’t change any of that,
Flathead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #28
39portlander

For a lot of those angry Chevy guys it started with Bill Elliot, they could not get over him winning in that McDonalds Thunderbird and were reminded every time they went there to eat, cry'in over their big Mac
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #29
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead86 View Post
I don’t think so, he’s pride for Chevrolet won’t change any of that,
================================================

Instead of caring if it's a Chevy verses Ford thing, you should be posting
some Good Pictures of the damage he caused, and ask the members here
their opinions on how much you should be suing him for ???

Old 04-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #30
Flathead86

The seat is back to the upholstery shop, no damage that can’t be fixed with a little polish, I never said that there was damage to my paint,
Flathead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #31
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Magnolia tree.....theres a tree I hate!.... had one that dropped these leaves all over the place that didn't break down easy. It was a big old brute so I had it taken down before it fell over on my house. Got lots of firewood out of it though....... rather have had a "Chevy tree" growing there.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #32
paul2748

I'm a Ford guy. I don't hate Chevys, just not interested in them. I have a friends that are Chevy guys, I respect them and their cars and they do the same. We joke around about the Chevy/Ford thing, that's all.

I would never trash any ones car, regardless of make, if was well built.

Now don't get me going about the custom guys!!!!!!
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #33
drolston

I have been a Ford man since before I got my learners permit, for one reason only. Certainly not quality or engineering as that is pretty much a toss-up between the brands. It was for the sound of a flathead V8 talking through dual pipes with Smitty's.

My first car was a '35 Chevy four door which I bought for $50 and enjoyed until I could afford to buy that '35 Ford coupe which had been sitting in Ernie Smith's garage for years. I talked him down to $95. All the hobby cars since then have been flathead Fords, except for that rusted out '55 Nomad I could just not resist. With the big block engine, it would blow the paint off of any Ford I ever owned, - but it just didn't sound right. Maybe the problem with Chevy guys is "burble envy"?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:18 PM   #34
GB SISSON

In the antique tractor and one lung engine circle, we have 'John Deere Guys'. They don't come by and trash our stuff or anything, they just ignore us, but we do suspect they sleep on green satin sheets to match their embroidered jackets and hats. And I Love the chevys with flatheads photos. Gives me an idea about a toyota FJ 40 landcruiser I was recently given with no engine........
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #35
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
And I Love the chevys with flatheads photos.

Those two photos have been traveling-around the internet for years now. Unfortunately, I believe they're both PHOTO-SHOPPED. The angles on both, looking at the line of spark plugs for instance, both appear to be leaning downward too much at the rear. Here's another flatty in a Vette that there is no way for the hood to close without hitting radiator, hoses, and oil fill and filter can, at least! DD

………………...

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #36
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
In the antique tractor and one lung engine circle, we have 'John Deere Guys'. They don't come by and trash our stuff or anything, they just ignore us, but we do suspect they sleep on green satin sheets to match their embroidered jackets and hats. And I Love the chevys with flatheads photos. Gives me an idea about a toyota FJ 40 landcruiser I was recently given with no engine........
Put a Ford 300 six in that FJ40. You'll be getting a dig in at the Chevy guys and most of them won't even realize it! Did you know that the straight six used in the Land Cruiser for many years was a direct copy of the 216/235 Chevy "Stovebolt" six of about 1950?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #37
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have 5 flathead powered cars and 2 brand X, 55 convertible, 57 FI plastic car. It doesn't have to be "either or". I like them both.
The guy who started this thread has a jerk for a neighbor. You can't generalize any entire group by the behavior of 1 or a few.
Exactly spot on!! I have another friend that is a Ford fan ('49 Ford coupe and a '62 Ford Tbird) but also has a very nice '58 Chev Impala 2dr htp. Another guy has '52 Plymouth conv body mounted on a Corvette chasis. We just need to respect other folks cars like we would want to be respected brand notwithstanding.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:07 AM   #38
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
Exactly spot on!! I have another friend that is a Ford fan ('49 Ford coupe and a '62 Ford Tbird) but also has a very nice '58 Chev Impala 2dr htp. Another guy has '52 Plymouth conv body mounted on a Corvette chasis. We just need to respect other folks cars like we would want to be respected brand notwithstanding.
Whoa! Don't let Tubman's Corvette buddies find out about that Plymouth! They'll be attacking with torches and pitchforks!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:08 AM   #39
Tinker

I like flatheads. But am into hit miss motors too. Messed with y blocks but I guess i like anything before OHV.

I'm talking hobby cars. Modern anything goes.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-25-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:47 AM   #40
tomcarman

I like them all. Don't care what make/brand/model. It's a bit of history right before your eyes. It's remarkable what backyard mechanics can accomplish with modifications. It's amazing to see an original unrestored car, no matter the make. Equally impressive is a restomod with modern safety and performance. Highly admirable is a car that has brought back from the crusher to be restored as new or better than new. Your neighbor appears to have a very open mind. His way or not his way. Too much testosterone and a shortage of gray matter. I would distance myself from him. On the same side of the coin I have witnessed similar prejudice from Ford fans. The road goes both ways. I ask why does it have to be either/or? A fanstasy of mine would be to install a Toyota 22RE engine in a stock looking '39 Ford 4 door with modern running gear. The 22RE is one of the most reliable engines ever built and with modern running gear I could drive it without worry.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote