Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2020, 11:48 PM   #1
Mercmarc

Default 1935 ford Fordor Slantback rear seat frame pic

Hello All,

I am finishing up a 1935 Ford Fordor Slantback. I purchased seat spring sets for front and rear seats from Snyders. I have pictures indicating the springs are mounted to wood frames before sitting on the raised section of the rear floor of the car. The rear seat sits on a shelf above the drive shaft tunnel. The pictures I have do not apply to my car as they depict a flat surface and the raised area where the seat sits is any but flat from side to side or front to back.

All this said.

Can anyone provide a picture of the rear seat cusion platform (frame) for a 1935 ford Fordor Slantback?

Any information is greatly appreciated

Respectfully

Marc in Roseville
Mercmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:51 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: 1935 ford Fordor Slantback rear seat frame pic

As you've figured, the seat base can't be a flat wooden arrangement, because that area of the floor ain't flat. Only the seat back is on a wooden frame. I do have a spare seat base, but it's going to be a mission to get it out to photograph. If no one else responds to your quest, get onto me and I'll do it. The seat base is a pressed steel affair that follows that floor plan detail and locates on the two 'pins' protruding up outta the floor. The pressed steel affair encases a woven fibre sortta material for the fabric to be tacked to. Lighter channels are crimped onto the springs
As far as I know, the touring sedans also ran the same seat BASE, you'll be looking for one I assume.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Mercmarc

Hello Brian,

I am very grateful for your information and detail. By your description it appears the spring set I have incorporates the tack strip around the perimeter for the cushion. Yes, the cushion spring set does follow the contours of the floor it rests on. So it sounds as there is no other base, other than the need for the pins on the floor to connect to the spring set. The back rest spring set has tabs for attaching to the wood frame and hinges.
The cushion spring set has no such tabs, and does not have an immediate means of sitting on the pins. Are you indicating the spring set sits on and into the pressed steel pan and that sits on the floor of the car? If so, then yes, I am in need of such a pan. I will try to post a picture of the bottom of the cushion spring set.

In assembling the seat set, it would seem that the back-rest gets installed first then the cushion is pushed into place and set down on the pins. Does this sound about right?

Again many thanks Brian.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
flathead34

The side arms go in first. Then mount the back cushion. The bottom seat cushion slides under the back cushion and is held in place by the two floor pins into the two holes in the bottom of seat cushion. Mike
flathead34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
deuce lover

Here is a link to a older thread.Look at post #16.It clearly shows the sedan floor(second pic) and the pins that the locates the seat cushion.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ear+seat+riser
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
Mercmarc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hello Brian,

I am very grateful for your information and detail. By your description it appears the spring set I have incorporates the tack strip around the perimeter for the cushion. Yes, the cushion spring set does follow the contours of the floor it rests on. So it sounds as there is no other base, other than the need for the pins on the floor to connect to the spring set. The back rest spring set has tabs for attaching to the wood frame and hinges.
The cushion spring set has no such tabs, and does not have an immediate means of sitting on the pins. Are you indicating the spring set sits on and into the pressed steel pan and that sits on the floor of the car? If so, then yes, I am in need of such a pan. I will try to post a picture of the bottom of the cushion spring set.

In assembling the seat set, it would seem that the back-rest gets installed first then the cushion is pushed into place and set down on the pins. Does this sound about right?

Again many thanks Brian.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
Mercmarc

If these pictures open up they will show the floor pins, a profile of the cushion spring bottom and one of the cushion spring sitting in place minus the backrest.

Many thanks to everyone who has joined in and shared their knowledge.

Yes the pictures are on my wifes computer. Just a cudos to her, she did purchase the car for me for retiring.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
Mercmarc

Old 07-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
Mercmarc

I apologize for the duplicate postings, I am struggling with adding photos and must have reposted #6 in advertantly, #7 was a picture attempt and post #8 was an additional attempt.

Still working on sending pictures

Thank you for your patience everyone.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #10
Mercmarc

Hopefully there are three pictures of the rear seat cushion spring set.
One with the cushion in place, one profile of the bottom and one of the floor pins

Thanks again to everyone.

Sincerely

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1190873.JPG (161.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg P1190875.JPG (157.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P1190874.JPG (162.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
DavidG

Unless your seat bottom cushion was manufactured incorrectly, there should be built-in round heavy wire loops to capture the pins on the floor seat riser. That's what holds the bottom cushion in place (in addition to be wedged beneath the bottom of the seat back cushion as you've noted). You'll have to come up with something to substitute for the two loops if they are missing or return the spring for exchange for one made correctly. Otherwise your seat bottom cushion will eventually work its way forward each time you apply your brakes. The two slant back sedans and the phaetons of both the '35 and '36 model years (of North American manufacture) share the same basic rear seat springs.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #12
Mercmarc

Thank you DavidG

Greatly appreciate your information, that helps.

Marc
Old 07-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #13
rich b

Here is a picture of a '34 seat bottom with the formed wire eyes indicated.

Picture was originally posted by @31aford via @JSeery in response to a question I had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190519_065759-3024x1701-2268x1276-1701x957_LI.jpg (54.7 KB, 25 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
Mercmarc

Good morning rich b

Thank you very much for the picture. :-) Very clear image and good size solid wires.

Marc
Old 07-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #15
Mercmarc

good morning Mike and deuce lover,

Thank you deuce lover for the link of pictures of the floor pins.

Mike, thank you for the order of assembly. All great information that is being put to good use.

Regards

Marc