Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Lawrie

Default valve seat cutters

I would like to be able to do the seats on the V8 engines with my 3d cutters, But the block is too big for my mill.
I was thinking there must be a portable setup that clamps onto the block to drive my 3d cutters.
has any one seen or know of such a thing.
I just see how nice the seats come out on the A engines I do on the mill with the 3D setup, but the V8 blocks are too big for my mill, and would like do be able to do the same on them
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: valve seat cutters

There are a couple of alternatives.

1- Make a riser for your mill. (this is within your budget)
2 -Buy a Serdi. (this is out of almost everyone's budget)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #3
34p-kup

Electro magnetic base drill would fill the bill, rpm might be too slow/high. Magnetic base mounts to cylinder deck with block on engine stand.
34p-kup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
48-710

34p-kup,
The only problem with a magnetic base drill is that the valve guide angle is not at right angles to the block deck. I'm making a small adaptor out of two 1/2" drive socket universals at the moment so I can use a 70 degree cutter to fit larger valves. If it works,and that is a BIG if,I will try and find some small industrial uni joints.
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:43 AM   #5
flatheadmurre

Driving it at an angle with a u-jont wont work since it will push the cutter sideways to.
Some kind of flexible wiredrive would work....like used on hoseclamp screwdrivers.
I donīt have a cheap solution to the problem...a Mira works nice but cost money...so does a seat and guide machine...
A neway cutter with 3angle blades is perhaps the most affordable setup for doing occasional jobs.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:53 AM   #6
Lawrie

I have the new way cutters, they do a good job, but not as nice as the 3d stuff,
My mill is not strong enough I think to have the block on the table.
I tool looked at a mag base drill.the drama is , as said the valves are not at right angles to the face.I thought about making a tapered wedge for the base,BUT then you would have to straight on the valves not off to one side as then the angle would be different.
I was thinking about a serdi, but my shed is only 240 V ,and they are costly, most good stuff is though.
Lawrie
Old 11-22-2018, 03:03 AM   #7
flatheadmurre

A Mira gives you an excellent finish...only downside compared to a seat and guide machine is that they are slow...and very manual...you get strong arms.
Goodson sells the adapter to use 3D cutterblades instead of the solid original cutters.
Less pricy and easier to store then a seat and guide machine....
Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
saltracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
A neway cutter with 3angle blades is perhaps the most affordable setup for doing occasional jobs.

After reading this I could not find Neway manufactured 3 angle blades, but I did find these made by New3acut Engineering. There seems to be 8 different styles depending on width of valve seat, length of blade and whether or not they fit the Neway cutters or only New3acut holder.

found here:
http://new3acut.com/Instructions.html

this video explains how they work and the aligning tool you need also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgenW8tUbI
saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
flatheadmurre

The blade angle is more or less agressive to prevent shatter...depends on width of valve seat and how hard the material in the seat is.
To get a better finish and prevent drag/shatter you can also use the cutting fluid in spraybottle.
If youīre using neway by hand...that T-handle they come with is a pita...Goodson sell an "easy driver" that looks like a coffe grinder and is springloaded for pressure...makes life easier !
Old 11-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I have the new way cutters, they do a good job, but not as nice as the 3d stuff,
The drama is , as said the valves are not at right angles to the face.I thought about making a tapered wedge for the base,BUT then you would have to straight on the valves not off to one side as then the angle would be different.
Also, the valve angles are different side-to-side and change based on being earlier engine blocks or later.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #11
saltracer

so, I bought the 3 angle cutters and the alignment tool to go with it. I found although the blades cut well, overall they did not work well on our motors. The small entry angle above the 45 degree on the new blades cuts into the area between the valve seat and the cylinder bore a good bit. It's like they would work better as a two angle cutter. (unless I'm using them wrong, which is possible)
saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I would like to be able to do the seats on the V8 engines with my 3d cutters, But the block is too big for my mill.
I was thinking there must be a portable setup that clamps onto the block to drive my 3d cutters.
has any one seen or know of such a thing.
I just see how nice the seats come out on the A engines I do on the mill with the 3D setup, but the V8 blocks are too big for my mill, and would like do be able to do the same on them
Lawrie
I know, I gotta old brain, but you can do a model a or t on your mill but not
a V8? I'm just curious like a cat. Yes you need a hold down fixture for a V8
My fixture is a mandrill clamped to main bearings then tram it in with machine jacks what ever. I don't like cutters they get dull and they are junk I use stones that can be trued over and over. Kwic Way system. Its amazing that everyone thinks NASCAR when you basically have a Briggs Stratton with seven more cylinders that runs forever even with 45 deg. seats.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
philipswanson

Send it out!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltracer View Post
so, I bought the 3 angle cutters and the alignment tool to go with it. I found although the blades cut well, overall they did not work well on our motors. The small entry angle above the 45 degree on the new blades cuts into the area between the valve seat and the cylinder bore a good bit. It's like they would work better as a two angle cutter. (unless I'm using them wrong, which is possible)
Is the second angle starting right at the inside of the seat or have you moved everything out a bit ?
Are the seats new or worn so they are real low ?
Should be able to do it as well with that setup as a 3D cutter.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
bobH

I've been using Neway 3-angle cutters for years, since the 70's. And, just on my own personal stuff. Yes, they are far from 'the best', but, as said, my own stuff is 'briggs & stratton'. Works good for me.
And, for customer jobs, I use the 'send-it-out' method. Or, borrow suitable equipment with stones.
(BTW, for 3 angles, that's THREE cutters, NOT one cutter with 3 angles.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #16
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I've been using Neway 3-angle cutters for years, since the 70's. And, just on my own personal stuff. Yes, they are far from 'the best', but, as said, my own stuff is 'briggs & stratton'. Works good for me.
And, for customer jobs, I use the 'send-it-out' method. Or, borrow suitable equipment with stones.
(BTW, for 3 angles, that's THREE cutters, NOT one cutter with 3 angles.)
With the 3-angle blades he bought it is one
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
supereal

At our shop we use a special machine to cut valve seats. Our rebuilds alway get new hardened seats, as many, if not all, old blocks have been ground down to the point there is no material left to simply dress the original seats. Any good machine shop should have the equipment.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
At our shop we use a special machine to cut valve seats. Our rebuilds alway get new hardened seats, as many, if not all, old blocks have been ground down to the point there is no material left to simply dress the original seats. Any good machine shop should have the equipment.
You're shop may be lucky enough to have a machine that will mount a cylinder block? Most "head-machines" around today by design won't accept a Flathead block (or any other type) to do any valve seat inserts OR valve seat machining, they will mount cylinder heads only!

There are a couple exceptions but generally speaking that's how it is today! We have a total of three head machines and only one is capable of doing the Flatheads. It is solely for this reason we opted not to sell it off a while ago, we use it almost daily, it is more versatile than all the other head machines combined!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The machine I'm speaking of is the Winona PH-2000. We bought this new in the early '70's, one of our very first "buys" in equipment! Here's a shot of it today still in service! These machines used can usually be purchased today for a very reasonable cost, they are NOT in demand as they once were. We can do both multi-angle valve seats and seat inserts just as easy! That cradle (with the speed-reducer sitting on it) is well capable of holding the 200# Flathead block!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winona PH-2000 Cyl Head Machine.JPG (90.6 KB, 101 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #19
Lawrie

Gary, thats similar to what I was thinking of making using a 4 speed magnetic base drill as the driver,and was thinking of making an adjustable plate mount off the manifold face,
Lawrie
Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #20
Chris Marshall

Gary, could you post a photo of a flathead block mounted in that Winona? We have that same head machine and it didn't appear to me that there was enough vertical clearance to fit a block on the cradle. I'm apparently missing the obvious! We still use it alot for the vintage heads.
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote