Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
BNewman

Default Electric fuel pump 37 Ford

If I install an electric fuel pump near the tank on my 37 Coupe can I still leave the mechanical pump in place or do I have to remove it and install a block off plate? Any other thoughts on an electric fuel pump installation?
Thanks.
Bob
BNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
johndee138

Default Re: Electric fuel pump 37 Ford

I tucked mine up in the frame rail just forward of the rear axle. Put it on a switch under the dash. Used an Airtex E8902 electric fuel pump off Amazon $35.
Still run the stock pump and haven't had any probs. With the exception of no stalling on hot days cause the vapor lock up in the vacuum pump. I dont run it all the time either. Mines 12v but they have a 6v as well

johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
19tudor29

Just installed a 6volt on my 35. Overhauled the mechanical pump to prevent leaking and for look. Only use electric on start up after sitting awhile, then turn off. Important to have a good needle and seat in carb.
Bob
19tudor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndee138 View Post
I tucked mine up in the frame rail just forward of the rear axle. Put it on a switch under the dash. Used an Airtex E8902 electric fuel pump off Amazon $35.
Still run the stock pump and haven't had any probs. With the exception of no stalling on hot days cause the vapor lock up in the vacuum pump. I dont run it all the time either. Mines 12v but they have a 6v as well

So the Airtex pump allows fuel to be pulled through it with mechanical? You don't need the bypass plumbing? Also if just using like you say for infrequent startups and an emergency you may not need the regulator before Stromberg? I bought the Airtex few years ago and I think it is 6 volt never put it on. I had the mechanical one that was just rebuilt and "ethanol proof" fail on a very busy state route and the backup would have in the very least got me off the road. This may be the winter I cut into the fuel line.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
ford38v8

You will need a pressure regulator set to 2 ~ 3 lbs.
More than that will override your carburetor float valve.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
39topless

To minimize the unpleasant noise from the electric pump, install on frame with some sort of hard rubber insulation between pump mount and frame. Rubber hoses for the fuel line connections at the pump will also help.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
DONUT

This is only if your car is not original ........... install the electric pump near the tank. Run a separate line, with an inline filter, and T it in between the mechanical pump and the carb. This set up allows you to pump gas to the carb if the car has been sitting, or anytime you experience vapor lock, or if your mechanical ever fails ..... you have a redundant system .
DONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
BNewman

Marv,
Slick idea. Thanks
Bob
BNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #9
Drbrown

2x John Dee ! Just for starting.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
don35

Hockey pucks are a good source of inexpensive hard rubber for making mounts!
don35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
Marv

Smile Re: Electric fuel pump 37 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNewman View Post
If I install an electric fuel pump near the tank on my 37 Coupe can I still leave the mechanical pump in place or do I have to remove it and install a block off plate? Any other thoughts on an electric fuel pump installation?
Thanks.
Bob
If you run the fuel from the electric pump thru the factory pump, it will run. But if the diaphram fails in the factory pump the electric pump will be pumping fuel into the crank case and you will ruin a engine. Vic Piano has plans for building your factory pump where it will not operate but you can run the fuel thru it and every thing will look original with out taking a chance on getting fuel in your crank case and ruining your engine.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
If you run the fuel from the electric pump thru the factory pump, it will run. But if the diaphram fails in the factory pump the electric pump will be pumping fuel into the crank case and you will ruin a engine. Vic Piano has plans for building your factory pump where it will not operate but you can run the fuel thru it and every thing will look original with out taking a chance on getting fuel in your crank case and ruining your engine.
Although I will look at my fuel pump when I get home this evening, I thought most pumps have a weep hole on the bottom to help prevent leakage into the crankcase. Flathead pumps may be the exception.