Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #1
VAN HELSING

Default Finding .045 Piston Rings 8BA

Hi Guys,

Been a member for a while but this is my first post.

I live down under in Australia and have a fairly complete 8BA here that I bought about 6 months ago for a project.

This is my first Flathead V8 I've ever owned so I'm in unfamiliar territory with these engines though I am an " old school " car mechanic from years back, in the early to late 1980's when I was last on the tools there just weren't any flatheads around in those days so I've never worked on them.

To the subject,

This 8BA I have here came out of an old farm truck. It's not seized and the heads are off it. The bores all look good and there is no ring ridge at all in any of the cylinders. I have an inside micrometer/bore gauge but haven't as yet done any measurements with it but my instincts and experience tell me this is a re-ringable engine with a clean up and freshen up.

At this stage ( without pulling it apart just yet ) I would like to re-ring it.

However,

At some stage in it's life it was fully rebuilt by Ford Australia and has a stainless steel plaque attached to the engine block near the distributor stating the work that they had done.

It was rebuilt to take .045 oversize pistons, .010 under on the crank pins and mains.

Back in the day .045 pistons were probably ? easy to find, however fast forward 40/50/60 odd years to now and this oversize is now not considered a common overbore.We seem to go in units of 10 now for oversize pistons, not in units of 5.

And my problem is I can't seem to find .045 rings for an 8BA anywhere?

I am planning on a pulldown,inspection and re-ring in coming months with view to get it running in my garage on a stand and I'm OK with reboring it to .060 if required but if it's an engine with life left in it as is, with a re-ring ,then I'd rather go that way if I can with a rebore as a standby option.

Can anyone advise if they know where I might be able to find .045 rings at all ?

Cheers from Australia.

VAN HELSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:36 AM   #2
tub1

Default Re: Finding .045 Piston Rings 8BA

a few years ago a guy in geelong had lots of old stock ford parts I got a set of 45 over rings from him but cant remember his name
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:05 AM   #3
48-710

In the past I have brought them from Bernie at Auto Surplus. The phone number is
9873 3566 and they are at 35 Rooks Road
Mitcham 3132
Victoria
Redgards,Gary
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
VAN HELSING

Quote:
Originally Posted by tub1 View Post
a few years ago a guy in geelong had lots of old stock ford parts I got a set of 45 over rings from him but cant remember his name

Thanks Tub, good to see some fellow Aussies here,

Cheers.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
VAN HELSING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48-710 View Post
In the past I have brought them from Bernie at Auto Surplus. The phone number is
9873 3566 and they are at 35 Rooks Road
Mitcham 3132
Victoria
Redgards,Gary

Thanks Gary,

I'll give Auto Surplus a call tomorrow morning, thanks for the tip.

By the way, do you know where I might find an Australian car 8BA starter mount plate at all ( left hand bolted starter ).

I've just bought a left handed starter cast iron bellhousing but the seller did'nt have the starter plate to match.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
Step-down

I found NOS ford piston .5 over ,three ring on e bay last winter . Everything else
Here from the Barn .
Old 08-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
Frank Miller

I have heard of guys putting .010 over rings in worn bores so I'm guessing if all else fails .050 and setting the end gaps will probably work for you. Anyone here feel free to correct me with experience.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

If you can find .050 rings, then just file-fit them back to whatever size the bores need. I usually try to buy rings that are .005 over the bore size for most modern performance rebuilds - then hand fit them. On modern engines they are usually marked for the resulting bore size -- like .030, but then "file fit" is added - to denote that they are oversize and must be filed to fit the actual bores of the engine.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Ronnie

Just send an e mail to Hastings and the tech people will be able to tell you if they have any rings that will suit your needs. You will have to give them an accurate finished bore size.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
edhd58

Barnfind08 on here has lots of old stuff and NOS stuff too. he may be able to help as well
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
If you can find .050 rings, then just file-fit them back to whatever size the bores need. I usually try to buy rings that are .005 over the bore size for most modern performance rebuilds - then hand fit them. On modern engines they are usually marked for the resulting bore size -- like .030, but then "file fit" is added - to denote that they are oversize and must be filed to fit the actual bores of the engine.
+1 on file fitting .050 rings. I'd shoot for .012/.013 end gap. Googling file fitting piston rings will get you lots of information on how to do it, it's routine now on performance engines.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
flatheadmurre

How common was .045 in the 8BA ?
I have .045 canada made in 3 1/16 and 3 3/16 for the earlier engines but not 8BA.
Think we got army suplus that was .045...any reason why .045 was choosen ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180812_192627[1].jpg (75.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180812_192615[1].jpg (62.1 KB, 12 views)
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Mart

Dunno, but they probably just used to go .015", .030", .045", .060" when rebuilding. Military rebuilding on a schedule, rather than waiting until worn out.

I have a couple of sets of .045" 99A pistons. The French military motors also use +.045", actually marked 1.14mm.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:00 AM   #14
48-710

G'day Van,
We have just moved house and I have stuff scattered to the four points of the compass BUT I think I may have what you are looking for. I have a couple of days off later in the week so I can go looking.
Regards,
Gary
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
VAN HELSING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48-710 View Post
G'day Van,
We have just moved house and I have stuff scattered to the four points of the compass BUT I think I may have what you are looking for. I have a couple of days off later in the week so I can go looking.
Regards,
Gary

Ok, thanks Gary, that would be great if you could find a starter mount plate for me.

The one I need is for the Australian cast iron bellhousing with the starter in the left hand passenger position.

My bellhousing should arrive in the mail sometime this week. If I can find out how to post photos up here I'll post a pic when it arrives.

Thanks again.