Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
quickmfg

Default Off-idle Hesitation Advice - 8BA & Holley EBU / 94 Carb

Hello all,

I need some help, I've read about a hundred posts here, but am stuck.

I've got a stock 8BA that someone put a Ford EBU carb on, and has hesitation/stumble just above idle if I slowly open the throttle. Idle vacuum is 20.5" at 475 rpm, running great, then as I crack throttle, vacuum drops to 17" and runs rough. I can bring it out of this funk by choking it with my hand partially. Seems to do fine upwards of 1500 rpm, or when goosed. Accelerator pump likes to be on the 3 hole so I dont get a bog , even when hot. Power valve is not leaking checked on bench and by closing idle screws. Distributor is stock loadamatic, and I start seeing some advance by about 550-600 rpm. #55 jets. I can see plenty of fuel flow from idle holes, and then from off idle holes as I slowly open throttle.

It appears that fuel is dripping from right nozzle bar, but not left as I open throttle. I've read about the air bleed holes in these nozzle bars. See picture, the top nozzle bar holes are either blind, or the hole is so small that the wire from a bread twist tie won't fit through. Are these bleed holes?

The low end torque that my 59A has when I let the clutch out will definitely not be there the way it is now.

Thanks again,

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190409_39355.jpg (19.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190409_22388.jpg (38.3 KB, 78 views)
quickmfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Off-idle Hesitation Advice - 8BA & Holley EBU / 94 Carb

IIRC, an "EBU" is off of a '54 overhead V8, which was also 239 ci, so it should be sized right. I had one on my '51 8BA and it worked fine. Make sure the passages you reference are clear, and then I would look at the accelerator pump, and then double check the power valve. I'd replace it anyway, because known good replacements (think "Charley ny") aren't that hard to come by.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickmfg View Post
Hello all,

I need some help, I've read about a hundred posts here, but am stuck.

I've got a stock 8BA that someone put a Ford EBU carb on, and has hesitation/stumble just above idle if I slowly open the throttle. Idle vacuum is 20.5" at 475 rpm, running great, then as I crack throttle, vacuum drops to 17" and runs rough. I can bring it out of this funk by choking it with my hand partially. Seems to do fine upwards of 1500 rpm, or when goosed. Accelerator pump likes to be on the 3 hole so I dont get a bog , even when hot. Power valve is not leaking checked on bench and by closing idle screws. Distributor is stock loadamatic, and I start seeing some advance by about 550-600 rpm. #55 jets. I can see plenty of fuel flow from idle holes, and then from off idle holes as I slowly open throttle.

It appears that fuel is dripping from right nozzle bar, but not left as I open throttle. I've read about the air bleed holes in these nozzle bars. See picture, the top nozzle bar holes are either blind, or the hole is so small that the wire from a bread twist tie won't fit through. Are these bleed holes?

The low end torque that my 59A has when I let the clutch out will definitely not be there the way it is now.

Thanks again,

Nick

Maybe your jets too big? My understanding is a set of 51's are the standard ones to begin with. this is where i would begin along with perhaps new PV.

Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
Charlie ny
BANNED

quick,
My nozzle bar preference is the inverted 'V' design that came on the earlier 94's.
These bars seem to be far more capable to make a good performing 94 than any of the tall bars. Try to dig up some of these early bars and try them....be absolutely sure you use new gaskets...tighten the rear clamp first and try to wiggle the bars...if they are tight then loosen that clamp and tighten the front clamp and check to be sure the bars are tight and also the squirter is not loose, retighten the rear clamp. Doing this insures no vac or fuel leaks that can otherwise drive you batty. I would take this opportunity to also reinstall the link in the middle hole. During the nozzle bar switching thing take the time to gently tap the check plunger under the squitter to be sure it is seated....a very annoying lag occurs if this plunger does not seat properly.
We can go deeper but then we'd all be asleep.

PM me any time or call me.
Charlie ny
716 440 8952
716 662 9159
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
tubman

Yep, "Charlie ny" is the best; he has the parts and the skills.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Blastfromthepast

I found from my experience that the accelerator pump dries up and shrinks just enough so you don’t get the right amount of gas needed. They do sell a replacement made of a material That doesn’t dry out and shrink From todays fuel.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
quickmfg

Thanks all. Pump and PV are new from USA kit, and I have excellent flow from pump nozzles.

I have a line on a body from a 7RT carb with the earlier nozzle bars, I will try those and reseating the pump discharge needle, and will report back.

Nick
Old 04-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
motordr

I would try some #57 jets, that’s what worked for me.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #9
Tinker

Sounds like a lean issue. What do the plugs look like?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
quickmfg

Hello all,

I know it's been months but I've finally had a chance to get this right. Problem was gasket thickness underneath the nozzle bars and accel nozzle., combined with tweaking the clips underneath the screws holding same. Am running two 56 jets now in an EBU carb, seems good.

The holes in the top of nozzle bars are blind, must be for die casting or something. There ARE air bleed holes in the sides.

Thank you Charlie for the help!

We'll be at the NYSEA Pageant of Steam in Canadaigua, NY in a few weeks, alll are welcome! www.pageantofsteam.org
Old 07-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #11
flatheadmurre

Also the float level is different from using the Y style Nossle should be 1 9/32.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190721_224952[1].jpg (67.7 KB, 23 views)
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote