Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Nasukau

Default Side Mount Wheel Well Conversion to Storage Compartment

Hi All,
I currently have a 31 coupe with dual side mounts. I am wanting to only have one spare and locating it to a rear mount. I am not going to change my fenders out in case I ever want to revert back. So I was wondering if anyone had turned the side mount wheel well into a small storage compartment with a closed lid. If so could you please post some pictures.

Thanks,
Denny
Nasukau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Side Mount Wheel Well Conversion to Storage Compartment

Then you'd have FENDER RATTLES------
Bill W.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
heneste

I haven't heard of anyone doing that but I would be interested also in seeing if it can be done. I guess you would jury rig a container that fits the wheel well and maybe has a threaded rod at the base so you could bolt it to the drainage hole at the bottom of the well?
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
DougVieyra

Now THAT'S a novel idea ! I like it. But I have never heard of it being done before. Ofcourse using the fenders for temporary storage while traveling has been done since wheel fenders were invented in 316 B.C. But having a "lid" to enclose the well is something new. I will look forward to hearing future reports.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
duke36

how about fabricating covers with snap-in tangs like the battery floor bd) coverplate?
would probably take someone with english wheel skills and then line the inside with indoor/ outdoor carpet or something to cushion implements. #3 post has good idea for bolt.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
daveymc29

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I saw a 34 pickup with fender mounts covered, but it was not to make them a storage space. The owner didn't like the spares in the way of the doors so he eliminated the spares and just had rolled out covers on his English wheel then had a clip to hold them in place with springs pulling from the drain hole. I didn't think it looked too bad, but still it was noticeable. Kept me from buying the truck.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Now THAT'S a novel idea ! I like it. But I have never heard of it being done before. Ofcourse using the fenders for temporary storage while traveling has been done since wheel fenders were invented in 316 B.C. But having a "lid" to enclose the well is something new. I will look forward to hearing future reports.
I too think its a great idea and see a potential market for such an item if we knew all the openings were identical.

I think this would would be a great job for the skills of Flop.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 AM   #8
Synchro909

Somewhere up in the back yard, I have the front mudguards from a 1928 Fiat 521. They have tool boxes built into them from new. It's not a new idea but still very practical.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
lnvmyrick

I'd try making a lid from fiberglass. It would be light and could be installed with a seal to prevent water intrusion and rattles...lock?? possible stud from the drain hole or something on that order somewhat like a gumball machine top lock assy.
lnvmyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnvmyrick View Post
I'd try making a lid from fiberglass. It would be light and could be installed with a seal to prevent water intrusion and rattles...lock?? possible stud from the drain hole or something on that order somewhat like a gumball machine top lock assy.
Maybe a flat headed pin dropped in from the top, through the drain hole and a hole at the bottom for a small pad lock. A washer and spring above the lock might control rattles. Might be a challenge to get the pin through when the compartment is full of stuff though.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 AM   #11
SeaSlugs

hehe I like seeing all the gears start turning differently in everyones head. I think its a great idea. Sealing I is gonna be tricky, maybe make somethin like a crock pot lid. Still not 100% sure on a lock or latch idea but the gumball lock sounds very plausible! Maybe have a slot the lid fits into under the lid then only have to worry about a standard ol lock on one end like hard motor cycle saddle bags. Then you don't have to worry about a shaft in the middle of the wheel well. If done correctly it could blend right in with the car.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #12
katy

How about making a round tool/storage box that looks like the spare on the other side?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Jason in TX

I would make a drop in storage box that is held in place by the drain hole. Curved on bottom, a flat box top on top. Could even stick up a little above the fender line. Might be kind of cool!

Neat idea.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 AM   #14
Model A Man

I had started something similar after I had finished my fender skirts. After I move to Montana this summer I may have to continue with the project
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Speedy Canuck

My 1929 Phaeton has dealer installed dual side mounts. I plan to relocate a single spare to the rear.

Utilizing the side mount wells for tool storage is a little side project that has been rattling around in my brain for quite some time. I haven't actually attempted it, as the 29 is the next project, however, here are my plans:

The wheel well should be for a 21" tire, so I will have to make a semi-circle tool box that fits within. I plan to look at replacement well patches for later model Fords (30/31 with 19" tires to begin with). I plan to make a pair of small tool boxes with lid's reminiscent of ammo cases. Ammo cases have a lid that overlaps the base, and a rubber gasket seals the case. My thought is that I could make a lid to fit over the smaller wheel well. A hinge at one end, and a latch at the other. A ammo case style handle riveted to the lid would allow the tool box to be easily removed.
In terms of securing it in the wheel well, to avoid rattles, I had considered using Plasti Dip to coat the out side of my tool box. Plasti Dip is a plastic/rubber coating that makes a coating similar to the rubber coating on hand tools. A thin rubber or cork gasket secured to the wheel well in the fender would also serve to prevent rattles caused by the tool box in the wheel well.
The drain hole in the bottom of the wheel well would remove any water that enters the wheel well.

Snap on 'tonneau' covers over each wheel well could be used to prevent the tool boxes from bouncing out (though I expect the weight of the hand tools would keep things secure as well).

I expect I'll run into some obstacles when I actually attempt this, but I think my plan is doable.

"Now you listen to me young man ... There'll be no hopped up jobs around here"
Speedy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Canuck View Post
My 1929 Phaeton has dealer installed dual side mounts. I plan to relocate a single spare to the rear.

Utilizing the side mount wells for tool storage is a little side project that has been rattling around in my brain for quite some time. I haven't actually attempted it, as the 29 is the next project, however, here are my plans:

The wheel well should be for a 21" tire, so I will have to make a semi-circle tool box that fits within. I plan to look at replacement well patches for later model Fords (30/31 with 19" tires to begin with). I plan to make a pair of small tool boxes with lid's reminiscent of ammo cases. Ammo cases have a lid that overlaps the base, and a rubber gasket seals the case. My thought is that I could make a lid to fit over the smaller wheel well. A hinge at one end, and a latch at the other. A ammo case style handle riveted to the lid would allow the tool box to be easily removed.
In terms of securing it in the wheel well, to avoid rattles, I had considered using Plasti Dip to coat the out side of my tool box. Plasti Dip is a plastic/rubber coating that makes a coating similar to the rubber coating on hand tools. A thin rubber or cork gasket secured to the wheel well in the fender would also serve to prevent rattles caused by the tool box in the wheel well.
The drain hole in the bottom of the wheel well would remove any water that enters the wheel well.

Snap on 'tonneau' covers over each wheel well could be used to prevent the tool boxes from bouncing out (though I expect the weight of the hand tools would keep things secure as well).

I expect I'll run into some obstacles when I actually attempt this, but I think my plan is doable.
So do I.
At one time, I toyed with the idea of cutting a hole in the mudguard to take an ordinary metal tool box. I was going to mount it so that the lid was just above the guard and the rest of the box was below. It was going to be secured to the guard by using "L" shaped pieces of metal screwed/bolted/riveted to the sides of the box and to the mudguard. The idea came from an original setup I mentioned above on a 1928 Fiat. Period correct but not Ford correct - like the public would know anyway.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

Why "ruin" a good fender?? If you want storage mount a period correct tool box on the running board. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #18
Speedy Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Why "ruin" a good fender?? If you want storage mount a period correct tool box on the running board. JMO
Paul in CT
I could. But my phaeton is a four door, and I'd prefer that none of my friends trip over a tool box every time they open a door.

Course, this is all in the planning stages. It might be that by the time I get the damn thing on the road, I won't have any friends left...

"Now you listen to me young man ... There'll be no hopped up jobs around here"
Speedy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
jm29henry

Very interesting
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

I think a long thin tool box that mounts under the running board would be a good idea, especially for the cars with 4 doors.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote