Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2023, 11:17 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default Cleaning the Gas Tank

In the process of cleaning the gas tank in my 40 sedan via the electrolysis method. So far working great. Then I’ll dry it and coat it with a sealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 722F4D48-78A1-4866-BD00-C9849079F84B.jpg (36.7 KB, 114 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:58 AM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Cleaning the Gas Tank

I have always used Muratic acid. At the car wash very early morning. Gloves and face protection.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
mcgarrett

I might not get a lot Amens on this approach, but here's my process. My tank had a thin rusty coating on the inside and occasionally, some would break loose and find its way into an inline filter I had added close to the tank and clog up the fuel line. I removed the tank and poured in about 2 gallons of phosphoric acid and sloshed it around frequently to make sure all the inner surfaces were getting wet. After about a day of sloshing, I poured it all out and let it completely dry inside. The phosphoric acid dissolves the lighter film or rust and chemically converts the remaining film into a rock hard substance that is neutralized. I didn't use any coating inside and have not had any ill effects of rust particles or contamination in my fuel line and the inside of my carb bowl is clean and rust free. To help maintain this condition, I use Marvel Mystery Oil at every fill up to help keep a light oil coating inside the tank. I did this 4 years ago and so far, so good.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:03 AM   #4
marko39

Before derusting dump a gallon of acetone in it to dissolve the gas varnish.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:09 PM   #5
hotrodart

E10 fuel ate the coating in the gas tank on my '40 coupe and clogged up the whole system.......then it rusted on the interior surfaces.....then I replaced it with a SS tank.....no issues since.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:23 PM   #6
Roger/Sacramento

My '41 pickup tank was nasty. I put sharp edged rocks and a couple of gallons of gas in the tank. Shook it back and forth multiple times over two days and poured this out. Repeated until it looked clean. Then used a tank cleaner solution. Then used POR 15 sealer. Been good for 10 years. I use non-alcohol gas.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:37 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Strap your tank to your tractor wheel. Put a couple of short lengths of heavy chain in the tank with a couple of gallons of kerosene. Go plow the north forty for an hour or two. Tank should be really clean inside by now.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:24 PM   #8
solidaxle

Coop
That's called multitasking.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:35 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
Coop
That's called multitasking.

That's called 'Killing two pigeons with one rock'. The best part is the phenomenal length of time you get to COMPLETELY slosh that tank around a full 360º, in three planes no less, while not even breaking a sweat like you would just standing there and shaking that tank by hand.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:17 PM   #10
cas3

Cement mixers work good too
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:21 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Strap your tank to your tractor wheel. Put a couple of short lengths of heavy chain in the tank with a couple of gallons of kerosene. Go plow the north forty for an hour or two. Tank should be really clean inside by now.

Coop

Ya tell me this now? After I sloshed that big ol' 31 Buick tank around by hand last summer? Now?
Old 02-01-2023, 03:48 PM   #12
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Coop

Well darn, I guess I need to go buy me a tractor so I’ll be prepared for next time. 🤣
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:27 PM   #13
nelsb01

Even better -- get one of those electric GPS driven tractors that was on the network news lately. You can send the tractor with gas tank attached out to plow and not even be involved at all.

"she thinks my tractor's sexy"....Kenny Chesney
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:37 AM   #14
Model51

McGarrett's use of phosphoric acid is what i have done. A dilute phosphoric acid solution (10-20%) works gently on mildly rusty steel. Phosphoric acid converts iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate. Iron phosphate does not rust, but the thickness of the iron phosphate coating only works for mild exposure to water and oxygen so it's not a bullet proof coating, especially with the accumulated water inside a gas tank from ethanol's water attraction in modern gas. Phosphoric acid is the primary active ingredient in most rust removers. The commercial solutions also contain a few more chemicals which help promote the reaction and provide additional anti-rust coatings.

Phosphoric acid concentrations greater than 20% risk removing the base metal if left too long in the tank. It works too fast for my liking and must be watched carefully which really isn't possible inside a gas tank. Once the rust is no longer visible, any more immersion in the acid solution is just eating away the good steel. The conversion is also temperature sensitive. It works best at a temperature over 90F and won't work at all below 50F. Look at the old Ford Rouge assembly line movies showing dip tanks where they first dipped whole fenders in hot phosphoric acid and then hot rise. Both tanks are near boiling temperature. The phosphoric tank is hot to work fast and the hot rise is to promote fast drip and flash drying of the now hot metal parts.

I made a 2x4 frame to fit the perimeter of my gas tank then sandwiched this with two round 3/4" diameter "wheels". I rolled this contraption up and down the driveway with 2-3 gallons of solution on a hot summer day (95F) and the result was a very clean tank interior - at least the parts I could see with a 16" borescope. Who needs a gym, since I don't have a tractor, this is the next best thing. I also let the tank sit in the sun for a while in several positions to make sure the chemical reaction had plenty of time to work and get into every seam and crevis. I rinsed the tank with hot water three times to flush the residual acid and any debris from the tank to stop the process.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote