Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default 36 Rear Spring Removal

I need to remove the rear spring and at this time the rear end is out of the car. I have searched for information but it seems that all I find is for the Morel A. Is the 36 rear spring under the same pressure or can it be taken out without a Spring spreader?
Old 08-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: 36 Rear Spring Removal

Hi Everyone. Stretch Cab, If the spring is still on the rear, and you can comfortably restrain it from unpacking, you could replace the center bolt with a long piece of all-thread with nuts, and slowly unwind the nuts, releasing pressure until you can disassemble the leaves.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

probably under more pressure ---
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
Stretch Cab

Yes The spring is still on the car. I will try the all thread
Old 08-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
tubman

To clarify : Is the spring still on the rear end that is out of the car, or is the whole shebang still in the car?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #6
Kube

If I am understanding correctly, the spring (just the spring) is within the cross member. If that's the case, just remove the four nuts that hold the spring clamps in place.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
19Fordy

Please post a photo of what you are dealing with.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
supereal

Place a spring stretcher, which fits between the ends of the spring. We use a tool called a
Port-A-Power, and raise the back of the car with the stretcher in place until the wheels are
off the ground. Unbolt the two clamps that hold the spring to the frame and lower the axle assembly until the wheels are on the ground. Remove the two hangers at the ends of the spring. It is a good idea to replace the bushings at the ends of the spring. If you plan to disassemble the spring, put a "C" clamp on each side of the spring, and tighten securely.
The center bolt can then be removed which will separate the leaves. In there are "pockets" worn where the ends of the leaves contact the leaf below, when should be ground smooth. Using a new center bolt, the spring can be reassembled. Reinstall the spring in the car reversing the procedure you used to remove it. ALWAYS remember that the spring is held under tension, and can be dangerous until it is fully installed. If this job is new to you, it is wise to have a shop do it, particularly if the bushings at the ends of the spring are to be replaced, which is advisable, as they often are difficult to remove.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
Stretch Cab

The entire rear end including spring is out of the car and all together. I don’t have a picture right now
Old 08-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
The entire rear end including spring is out of the car and all together. I don’t have a picture right now
Remove the nuts from one side of the spring holding the shackle bars on.
With a long (12" or so) bar and hammer, knock of the two shackles from that side.
the spring will retract to the opposite side but as the other side shackles are still fastened, the spring has no where to go.
Then, simply remove the remaining two shackles.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
drolston

If the rear end is out of the car, there is no compression load on the spring at all. Simply unbolt the shackles on one end, lightly support that end of the spring with a jack until you can wiggle the shackles and then knock the shackles off. Repeat on the other side.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
If the rear end is out of the car, there is no compression load on the spring at all. Simply unbolt the shackles on one end, lightly support that end of the spring with a jack until you can wiggle the shackles and then knock the shackles off. Repeat on the other side.
Well, kinda, sorta. The spring, although not under the load of the vehicle remains under load.

It is safe to remove as both you and I have advised. However, the fellow needs to realize the spring will "let go" when one side is released from the perch. Although it can't go anywhere, it can surprise a guy not familiar with this task.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #13
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Well, kinda, sorta. The spring, although not under the load of the vehicle remains under load.

It is safe to remove as both you and I have advised. However, the fellow needs to realize the spring will "let go" when one side is released from the perch. Although it can't go anywhere, it can surprise a guy not familiar with this task.
Why not be safe and use a spreader ? The spring is still under some load .
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #14
Tinker

Well I don't know what all is going on here. You will need to use a spring spreader to remove the shackles. (you have to take the vehicle weight off the rear by jacking up the rear on the frame and putting some jackstands on the frame, didn't think I need to mention that. But you never know) Once those are removed the spring has a center bolt to keep the spring pack together. So the u-bolts wont make the spring come apart.

If the center spring bolt is not broken then the spring can be released from the ubolts holding it in the cross member. I guess when loosing the u-bolts on the cross member you might see the spring separating then you might have a broken spring pack bolt. I have not seen that personally but it's possible. But really if that happens, the ubolts are long enough. But take caution.

Once the spring is out you can use a couple big c clamps clamped to the spring pack to remove the center bolt and take the spring pack apart. Take your time to do it slowly and allow the pressure to release. It sounds worse then it really is, but it is under pressure.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-21-2021 at 11:15 PM. Reason: to clarify
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Why not be safe and use a spreader ? The spring is still under some load .
Bill
I agree 100% IF he has a spreader. In this unique situation, there is no safety concern if he follows my advice. well, unless he pouts his face or other body part directly next to the spring when he disconnects the first side.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #16
Stretch Cab

Thanks so much for the help and safety concerns. Being the entire rear including the spring is out of the car. I think I can get the spring off now following your advice. I will let you know if I scare myself when the spring moves after releasing one side.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Thanks so much for the help and safety concerns. Being the entire rear including the spring is out of the car. I think I can get the spring off now following your advice. I will let you know if I scare myself when the spring moves after releasing one side.
Just stand behind the end you are going to release. You'll be fine.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #18
Stretch Cab

Well my friends, I finally got time today to remove the spring and deliver the rear to the sand blaster. Following the advice of removing one side at a time, not sure how I could have done both, I was able to remove the spring without killing myself.

I will be very honest with you that when the shackle came off and the spring moved it about gave me a heart attack! My shop has a wood floor and the thud was very loud. I'm sure I will need a spreader to get it back together.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I'm sure I will need a spreader to get it back together.
Yes and no. If you want to install the spring as an assembled unit you about need a spring spreader. You can take the spring apart (not a bad idea anyway if your cleaning everything up). It is not to difficult to install just the main leaf to the rear axle. Then the other leaves can be placed on top of it using a good quality piece of all-thread. Tighten the all-thread to compress the springs. As it starts to come together, there is a lot of stored energy in there! Several c-clamps on the spring leaves help. Tighten the all-thread a bit, then the c-clamps, etc. When fully compressed, remove the all-thread and install the proper center bolt.

Same procedure in reverse works to disassemble the spring.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #20
VeryTangled

Just about like I tried to say in post #2.

I've done it with and without the spring spreader. But spreaders can be their own drama and it isn't something a lot of people have used repeatedly.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote