Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
rivcokid

Default Marvel Schebler carb pouring gas

I got a Marvel carburetor for my 4-door because I liked what I heard about them. It came (supposedly) all ready to go but when I bolted it on, hooked it up, and turned on the gas, gas began to pour (not drip - pour) out of the air intake. I pulled the carb apart and it seems like the float is healthy and the pin is there, but something is not allowing the gas to stop. Anyone familiar with this issue or these carbs? Please see attached pic - I wish we could attach a short video so you could see what I mean!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1142.jpg (51.9 KB, 90 views)
rivcokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Herb Concord Ca

Default Re: Marvel Schebler carb pouring gas

Take the carb apart, remove float pivot pin, remove float valve needle, is it clean? Clean with brake cleaner. Look at valve seat is it clean? blow out with compressed air and clean with brake cleaner. If both parts are clean, lower float 1/16 to 1/8".
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
Ak Sourdough

Herb is right. The only thing that would cause that is the needle valve not seating correctly. Possibly the float level is wrong, but most likely something between the needle and the seat.

After you clean out whatever is holding the needle off the seat, you can test it by holding the float against the needle, same as the gas would and blowing (with your mouth) in the inlet fitting. If you can't blow air through you're good to go. Get an inline filter in the system somewhere. You'll like that carb. Much more modern design than the Zenith or Tillotson.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
1930artdeco

Make sure it is the correct valve and needle. I had a homemade need and seat.....yeah it didn’t stop the gas from flowing.

Mike
Old 06-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

If you bought the carb from a re-builder/vendor, call them before you mess with it much. They may have suggestions, or may exchange it for a different one.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Before you take it apart shut the flow of gas off, start engine, run till it stops, turn gas back on----- there's a good chance that the debris will get washed through, if still has the problem after doing this 2 times then there may be a internal problem
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
41plym

If you bought it from the guy on eBay out of Texas contact him and he will make it right without question.
41plym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
GPierce

It doesn’t take much fuel to leak into the float to make it sink. My MS started pouring fuel out the intake. I removed the float which looked ok and put in the float bowl full of fuel holding the float arm. It promptly sunk. I could barely discern the fuel sloshing inside the float.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
rivcokid

Hi all - thanks for the ideas. I did buy it from the guy in Texas but I bought it in February and only now put it on so I feel a bit guilty asking him to "make it right" although he offered more than once on the phone. I did to the "blow" test and it's sealed - I could not blow through it. It is all clean and rebuilt - practically brand new so it's not an issue of dirt or grime. I'll keep you updated!
Old 06-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
wmws
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41plym View Post
If you bought it from the guy on eBay out of Texas contact him and he will make it right without question.
His name is Jim Bullock. He could not be a nicer guy. If you can't get it straightened out contact Jim. He will make it right.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

Probably not your issue. Once in a while especially if you have been working on it, or its been laying on its side, or if you just gone through shipping, or have piece of something in the float valve - tthe valve does not seat properly. Can try tapping the float bowl with the handle end of a screw driver. Sometimes it is all it takes and all is good.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
GPierce

He said He already took it apart in post #1
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPierce View Post
He said He already took it apart in post #1

Had it happen to me, was in cleaning up a carb, put new jets in, reassembled. Gas streamed out the carb, a couple of taps on the float bowl and all was good. Somehow the float or float valve had an issue.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:13 AM   #14
RB_Nielsen

Believe me JR Bullock would want to know about any problem with his rebuilt MS carb. He will go to any extent to fix/make it right - ask me how I know. You are just one call away from making a good friend who is knowledgeable AND capable when it comes to Model As.
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #15
Benson

If Zenith carburetor leaks like this after being shipped (or in some cases after being laid on its side) is common in my experience.

Might work with other makes of carbs also.

If it leaks, turn off gas shutoff valve.

Use gasoline in float bowl to run engine for short time.

Rev it up a couple of times.

In most cases the vibrations will re seat the float valve.

THEN turn shutoff valve back on and watch to be sure leak has stopped ... in most cases the leak will stop.

If not then something might be wrong inside carb.

Hint: If you need to tap on a rebuilt painted carb try hitting it on the Strainer HEX fitting instead of the paint.

Replacing the "dented" strainer is much easier than disassembling and re painting!
(Powder coating)

Last edited by Benson; 06-26-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #16
JBill

I had that happen with a MS carb several years ago, and could never figure out what was wrong or get it to stop. I eventually just took it off, put it on a shelf, and installed a Tillotson on my car. I'm no mechanical engineer, but I think the float on the MS carbs is too small. Just an uninformed theory.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
His name is Jim Bullock. He could not be a nicer guy. If you can't get it straightened out contact Jim. He will make it right.
Agree. I have one of Jim's MS carbs and it is great, he is a good guy knows his stuff and stands behind his work. I'd highly recommend him to anyone in the Model A community
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #18
rivcokid

Update - I spoke to Jim and just like you said, he was very interested in what may have happened and quite willing to send me another for an exchange. I may be getting it today or tomorrow. Will keep you up to date. PS - I did do the "blow test" and could not get air to penetrate the valve, so it seems to be seating correctly (on the original carb that is now on its way back). Will check the new one when it comes, naturally, and watch for the additional ideas you've provided. Will let you know! Thanks
Old 06-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #19
duke36

Did you check the float submerged to see if air comes out a pinhole, as referenced in post 8 ? I've soldered holes after heating the float with a hair dryer or similar to dry it out.. It also only takes a spec or so from the tank / filter bowl to lodge in the valve tip. Some of us shut off fuel and run the carb almost dry at shutdowns.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #20
rivcokid

Update again - Hi all. I received a replacement Marvel carb from Jim yesterday and installed it today. What a difference! The car does run much better and I don't have the issue I had with it almost dying on me if/when I had to hit the brakes (and the Zenith was clean, so to me it was a design issue not a clean issue). Anyway, bolted the new carb on quickly, turned on the engine and let it run for well past the time that I had the original Marvel on, and no leaks, no issues. Would recommend highly so far! Thanks again for all your suggestions!