Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
phartman

Default 1934 Pickup Frustration- Ready to jump out a one story building

Stock 1/2 ton pickup with unusually stiff steering. OK in the mornings when cold, but once the motor heats up to operating temperature, the stiffer the steering becomes. If I drive to breakfast and the truck sits for a hour, for instance, when I come back to drive home, the steering is uncomfortably difficult.

I am running straight 140 weight in the steering box. A number of other lubes have been tried, none seem to make much difference.

I went to grease the front end and found some problems. First, when jacked up off the ground, I cannot grab both tires and turn them at all to the right or the left. The only way to turn the tires back and forth is with the steering wheel.

Second, all the fittings took grease, except the passenger side upper kingpin grease fitting. I have removed the fitting and cleaned it. Sprayed both PB Blaster and WD40 into the hole and tried to dissolve some of the hardened grease, but to no avail. That fitting just doesn't seem to want to take any lube. I have two different grease guns, and neither worked.

So before I go any further, let's start with that fitting. What are some other methods to try and get the grease to flow into that lubrication point? Heat it with a heat gun? Try some other penetrating oil? Ideas?

Thanks in advance. I know somebody out there has been through the same.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote