Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2022, 07:52 AM   #141
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 BB Dump

Nate,
Some shots of your drivers seat frame as it starts to take shape.

Test fit on my gas tank. I know your a ways from needing this to go down the road. Just trying to keep things moving for you.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #142
sugarmaker

Nate,
Began assembly of your drivers seat frame. Man I hope this matches the one you have!
Kreg pocket screws with glued joints:
Prototype here:

Another mock on my truck tank:

New DeWalt sander worked very well:

The finished product:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #143
Redpond2

Barners- some progress and some questions!

valve guide tool made quick work of what was left of engine teardown. really an invaluable tool. We are down to a bare block except for the few babbitts for main crank and camshaft that are going to stay which brings me to my question.. I've done some reading on how to clean a block to keep bearings intact. Kerosene and mineral spirits with some elbow grease seems to be best way to clean while preserving the babbitt.

block got its first kerosene bath last night and we got a lot of crud off. I have access to a hot water pressure washer that will likely be my "final pass" cleaning before going to the machine shop.

My question refers to cleaning the water passages. from what I have read my plan is to mechanically clean with clothes hanger and air. also read once mechanical cleaning is done you can plug the water inlet and fill with muriatic acid to eat any scale or rust then flush with baking soda/water to neutralize the acid. any first hand experience using acid to get a deep clean on these water passages? any precautions I should keep an eye out for, or any other methods for cleaning that you guys would recommend? I am all ears. (I did read one source that claimed the block may have been coated from the factory with a material, glyptol, to seal the cast irons porosity, and that the acid will eat this coating. this is my only concern with using the acid).

david, do you have any knowledge of the coating above?

Got the water pump rebuilt last night as well, with modern bearing, just got to put the fan on.

Also got the driver side seat frame in from sugar maker. Fit is great and craftsmanship far exceeds what I could have done. thank you Chris, I greatly appreciate your help!

Have the seat springs on order from Snyders, and plenty of other parts here ready to be put together/rebuild/get installed, in the time the engine is getting machine work done. No slowing down here!

Enjoy the 4th everyone, I plan on doing as little as possible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat frame test fit1.jpg (34.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg water pump rebuilt.jpg (131.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg block first clean.jpg (142.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg valve area.jpg (150.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg valve area first clean.jpg (118.2 KB, 35 views)

Caution: living may be hazardous to your long term health. Eventually, and often over time, death has been known to occur....
Redpond2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #144
DavidG

Nate,

Glyptal is a coating perhaps best known for being used on the inside of electrical transformers. Performance automotive engine builders often use it to coat the water and oil passages inside of cylinder heads and blocks to lessen surface friction. As it is red, it is hard to miss so the likelihood of it not being noticed is low, unless it was washed away over time or never there in the first place. My experience suggests the latter. I do use it, but not in the inside of blocks and cylinder heads, but rather to coat the inside of '32 V8 aluminum oil pans whose aluminum is very porous to the extent that they will literally sweat oil.

Even a well worn B engine tends to run within its design temperature range, so I think that Glyptal in a B block and heads would be nice, but likely overkill. Instead I would tend to focus on the radiator in terms of its cleanliness and free flow. Despite then and there evidence of cooling issues with the V8s and the relative absence of recorded cooling issues for the fours, the only extra cooling radiator offered by Ford during the 1932 Model year was for Model B commercial vehicles and trucks. Instead of having three rows of tubes, it had four rows, like a V8 radiator. It was only offered through service and only late in the model year. (Which is another way of saying it's rarely encountered these days.) If you find a usable one or your truck already has one, great, but you'll do fine if you do not.

The best to you and your family on the Fourth.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #145
sugarmaker

Nate,
Glad you received the seat frame. It looks pretty good from here!. Hope the springs fit too. We can surely thank David G. for the dimensions on these frames. You will need to find some stiff material between the frame and springs . Add holes as required for clearance and air movement.
Your engine is looking good.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 07-11-2022, 07:41 PM   #146
Redpond2

Barners,

Little updates. Seat springs have arrived. I customized them as sugar maker did for the sole fact that when I sat in his, it felt good. I am one of the shorter people I know, so if I’m comfortable with the seating position back a bit I can only imagine the uncomfort taller/bigger people could have in there. We’ve got a good local upholstery shop so I’ll be going by there soon to go over color and schedule. How did these originally come black faux leather? Surely these work trucks didn’t come with gen-u-wine leather.

Took the block and pistons by the machine shop.. machinist laughed a little. Pistons, reminder brand new, measured standard and cylinder walls, at the top, are wore out to ≈.017 over .020 probably won’t give us enough to make it; so we’re going .030 over to be safe.

Once the block and seats are off to the professionals I’ll be focusing back on the stuff I can handle in my garage. Many questions sure to come!

Caution: living may be hazardous to your long term health. Eventually, and often over time, death has been known to occur....
Old 07-12-2022, 07:01 AM   #147
sugarmaker

Nate,
This sounds like a good plan! Have you picked a material hardboard? for the frame covering? Iused luan plywood but that was not what Ford used.
David G can probably has the suggestion for correct materials for the seats. I just picked a pleather the I liked.
You have plenty to do with out the truck! Take a breath and have some fun also.
Always good getting a update on the you and the "big red truck"!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #148
Redpond2

Hey all, more small updates. Engine is off at the machine shop and seats are about ready to head to the upholsterer’s. Other than that I’ve been parts collecting and working my tail off in the real world! Sales have been good so making hay while the suns shining.

Off to Fargo, ND next week for a business trip so if anyone is in the area and enjoys a cold beer and a young whipper snapper asking far too many questions I think I can make something happen.

A good question came up in a recent conversation with sugarmaker; my map pocket is oriented straight up and down while his at an approximate 45 degree angle. Is there any consistency with these and if so, which way is correct? I realize this may be splitting hairs, but the nights are getting longer and my gears rarely stop turning..

Hope everyone is doing well!

Old 08-04-2022, 08:42 PM   #149
Lawson Cox

Did the 32 dump come with a map pocket? My 35 Avatar didn't, but it has one now.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:49 PM   #150
DavidG

In the distant past I did run across the engineering drawing for the cowl trim panel with the so-called "dispatch box" (Ford's era terminology) attached and it was at an angle, not upright. That makes sense given the position of the panel on the inner cowl side. The angle making access to the box easier.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #151
sugarmaker

Folks,
Thanks for the comments for both Nate and I. Yes my dispatch box is at about a 45 degree angle on the passengers side panel in front of the door. I will be making new panels as mine are in very ragged shape. Nate reminde me that his are in pretty good shape still, which was a indicator that they may have been replaced once in the big RED trucks life. I can now sleep better at night also!
Nate you have been making great progress! Lots of irons in the fire to keep turning. We will keep the fire going for you!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-05-2022, 07:15 AM   #152
sugarmaker

Nate,
Forgot to ask are you putting in new valves/ lifters? If you go with adjustable lifters, it is advised to lower the casting towers for the lifters. That will allow easier adjustment of the lifters with wranches. Couldnt remember what direction you were going in that area of the engine build.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-24-2023, 09:08 PM   #153
Redpond2

All,

Update on the old truck. Engine is back from the machine shop and assembly has begun. crank and rod bearings are shimmed, oil return tube is ordered, adjustable tappets are ordered as well. Once those parts are in we will hopefully be able to get this old engine back in running order.

Looking forward to getting this old unit on the road this year. Aside from some small bits the only other major purchase, I believe, will be tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crank install.jpg (45.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg damaged oil return tube.jpg (29.7 KB, 27 views)

Old 01-25-2023, 02:41 PM   #154
sugarmaker

Nate,
Good to hear about your engine! Looking forward to updates. This has original babbit, so were the crank diameters in good shape?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-26-2023 at 08:52 PM.