Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
oldtimelampshop

Default can this car color be identified?

I am restoring a 29 sport coupe.
I did buy a color chip chart, but do not care for the original body colors so thinking of painting a different color. i am restoring to original, but using repro parts where needed, so i dont think that color of car will hurt my value much? would like thoughts on that.

However, i did find a green on a sport coupe picture i found that I like. I am wondering if anyone knows what color this is? if it is an original ford color for Model A and just not sport coupe maybe? Photo attached

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29 model A sport coupe what mine should look like.jpg (37.8 KB, 195 views)
oldtimelampshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: can this car color be identified?

Any guess on that car's color code would be much akin to us accurately guessing tomorrow night's winning Lottery numbers since all of our computer monitors will display the color hue differently, ...and that is not taking into account the camera's settings.

With regard to hurting value on original vs. non-original colors, I tend to think that it depends on the quality of the rest of your car. Since I don't know your car, let's just use a general summation and go from there. If someone "restores" (i.e.: 'Repairs & Repaints) a car and it is about a $10,000 car, ...incorrect paint color probably won't make $500.00 of difference either way. If the authentically-restored car is valued at $20,000, then it is very possible that an unauthentically painted car can be devalued from 10% to as much as 20% over a like comparable vehicle but with an authentic paint color combination.

It probably should be noted that often times, the same mindset can be applied to upholstery. I'm not necessarily implying that the LeBaron Bonney/Classtique is correct, --or incorrect but saying that a local trim shop turned out Naugahyde covering in lieu of more authentic cloth does apply here too.

Just my opinion, ....your mileage may vary!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Special Coupe Frank

From your pic, and my recollection of the Paint & Finish Guide, that car appears to be wearing "Dawn Gray Light" on the body, and "Dawn Gray Dark" on the belt. Or close to it.

Don't know if those are "correct" colors for a '28-'29 Sport Coupe, but this one of the lightest "official" color combos for '28 - '29.

And I guess I won't be the last to make this comment: the "Authentic" color for the '28-'29 and early '30 Model A wire wheels is glossy black enamel.

There is a '28-'29 Sport Coupe done in the same colors as your picture here in Scranton; wheels, WWW tires, and all.

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 07-31-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Patrick L.

It doesn't seem as you're too concerned about original colors.. It's hard to tell from that pic what color that car is.. It kinda looks to me like it might be Kawanee Green, which, I don't think is a '28 or '29 color.. The Judging Standards would have the correct colors and most 'A' vendors will have some books with charts/chips..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
oldtimelampshop

thanks for the comments so far. i am performing a frame off restore. the engine was actually rebuilt by snyders model A for a big some of money too. everything on car, i hope to be correct, however will use proper repro parts where needed to restore to like new condition. thats why i wondered on the color hurting value.

i bought the model a ford paint and finish guide with color chips, however the chips are so small that i cant get a good feel for what they would look like on the car. most options for 29 are dark colors. does anyone know where there may be pictures of cars with proper color on them so that i can view and make a better decision on if i like the color.
the green car i posted pic of, i dont recall where i saved that pic from but just liked the greenish color on it. it looked nice.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
PetesPonies

You might be surprised how much will come up with a Google Image search . . lots of cars to look at.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
oldtimelampshop

thanks. yes, i have googled and seen many cars, however they do not say the color. i was hoping to find a website with pictures of Model A cars and it say what color they are. but have not found it yet.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimelampshop View Post
thanks for the comments so far. i am performing a frame off restore. the engine was actually rebuilt by snyders model A for a big some of money too. everything on car, i hope to be correct, however will use proper repro parts where needed to restore to like new condition. thats why i wondered on the color hurting value.

i bought the model a ford paint and finish guide with color chips, however the chips are so small that i cant get a good feel for what they would look like on the car. most options for 29 are dark colors. does anyone know where there may be pictures of cars with proper color on them so that i can view and make a better decision on if i like the color.
the green car i posted pic of, i dont recall where i saved that pic from but just liked the greenish color on it. it looked nice.
If you're going through the trouble of a frame-off restoration, and want top-dollar for the vehicle down the road, you best-off going with a correct color combo.

Serious Model A folk aren't likely to pay top-dollar for a car wearing incorrect colors. The wheel colors are less an issue than the body colors.

When I bought my '28 Special Coupe, it was wearing spray-can black. I ordered the Paint & Finish Guide so that I could see what the official offerings were for color selection. I was disappointed by how "dark" most of the'28-'29 colors are.

Subsequent poking and prodding has revealed that my car was originally one of the very dark blues, probably Andalusite Blue ( looks black if the car is parked in the shade ).
So, I went from considering Dawn Grey Dark & Dawn Grey Light, to probably staying with the original colors: Andalusite Blue with black belt and French Gray stripe. I may "go rogue" and paint the wheels French Gray too... we shall see...

Good luck with your project !
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Jay SR

Marco Taharas' website has a clever feature that shows several color combinations on a '30 Roadster. The link is: http://www.abarnyard.com/roadster/co...orchange.shtml

I realize this is not perfectly on point. I hope it helps.
Jay SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
29restorod

What ever you do,please paint it with original colors. I just spent several years looking at Model A's for sale,and too often My responce was "why would you paint a restoration that non stock color?". The paint job is the most important part of a restoration,it can only be done right, while the car is apart. Non stock colors will take thousands of dollars off its resale value.Even though its your car,some day you,or your family will need to sell it. The same goes for upholstry,don't do a custom job on a restored car,Red velour,or white diamond pleats are out.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #11
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29restorod View Post
... The same goes for upholstry,don't do a custom job on a restored car,Red velour,or white diamond pleats are out.
The guy that restored my PU 20 years ago did a fantastic job on the sheet metal and matching colors to original. But then he put this interior in it. It looks great, but it detracts from the originality -- besides the fact that it sits a couple inches too high because of the extra padding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside Cab.jpg (23.5 KB, 75 views)
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
oldtimelampshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
If you're going through the trouble of a frame-off restoration, and want top-dollar for the vehicle down the road, you best-off going with a correct color combo.

Serious Model A folk aren't likely to pay top-dollar for a car wearing incorrect colors. The wheel colors are less an issue than the body colors.

When I bought my '28 Special Coupe, it was wearing spray-can black. I ordered the Paint & Finish Guide so that I could see what the official offerings were for color selection. I was disappointed by how "dark" most of the'28-'29 colors are.

Subsequent poking and prodding has revealed that my car was originally one of the very dark blues, probably Andalusite Blue ( looks black if the car is parked in the shade ).
So, I went from considering Dawn Grey Dark & Dawn Grey Light, to probably staying with the original colors: Andalusite Blue with black belt and French Gray stripe. I may "go rogue" and paint the wheels French Gray too... we shall see...

Good luck with your project !
yes, my feelings are the original colors for 29 are dark as well. that is why i thought about going different. i guess i will stick with an original color combo on my car as well since i am going through the trouble of frame off restoration. do you have some pictures of your car that i can see to get a feel for the andalusite blue combo?
thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #13
Brother A

There is a note in "How to restore Your Model A" about the 68-C that states that the customer could special-order the car in any Ford color. The car came in 7 standard colors but apparently any Ford color for that year would be considered correct. So my point is that any color in the Ford line for that model year should preserve the value of your car.

Last edited by Brother A; 08-01-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Brother A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
yes, my feelings are the original colors for 29 are dark as well. that is why i thought about going different. i guess i will stick with an original color combo on my car as well since i am going through the trouble of frame off restoration. do you have some pictures of your car that i can see to get a feel for the andalusite blue combo?
thanks
I've only been able to reveal a patch of original Andalusite Blue about 4 inches square, and that is pretty shabby.

There are nicer cars on the web in that color; check Marco's site, for one.

However, Andalusite is so dark, I really think it has to be seen in person to get an idea of what it looks like. At a casual glance, you'd think it was black.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Steve Ciccalone

Bonnie Gray and Chelsea Blue is an original lighter combination used in the first four months of 1929. If your car is a later, there can be an arguement made that it could have been special ordered. If you are spending money for a ground up, you would be better served to paint it an original color. Also, please consider doing the wheels black with black wall tires. People will say it's your car, do it the way you want. But bear in mind if you want to sell it in the future, you or your family will have to find the one or two persons who also like it the way you liked it. I see people all the time putting cars up for a lot of money that are not authentically restored. See how many bids they get on eBay for example.

Here's my coupe in Bonnie/Chelsea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0549.JPG (99.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
29restorod

I check Ebay daily,to keep up with Model A prices. I mark cars and check thier final bids. Even an engine color that is wrong will cost you several thousand in resale. The car I ended up buying is a 40 year old resto,but it is correct,with all parts present and WORKING. I like the patina of the older correct resto,without having to worry about scratchs,paint chips,or constant cleaning and waxing. If it had been painted a non standard color 40 years ago I would not have bought it. I like the Rose Beige color on my car,and think it is quite light.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
Charlie Stephens

I was looking at a 1932 Fordor sedan. The price was $35K. It had been painted the wrong color (actually they used a Model A color). I considered it a $5K job to repaint the car and this along with a couple of other things casued me to pass on an otherwise fairly nice car. If I had made an offer I would have adjusted the price $5K.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
oldtimelampshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29restorod View Post
I check Ebay daily,to keep up with Model A prices. I mark cars and check thier final bids. Even an engine color that is wrong will cost you several thousand in resale. The car I ended up buying is a 40 year old resto,but it is correct,with all parts present and WORKING. I like the patina of the older correct resto,without having to worry about scratchs,paint chips,or constant cleaning and waxing. If it had been painted a non standard color 40 years ago I would not have bought it. I like the Rose Beige color on my car,and think it is quite light.
thanks, looking at the 29 colors the Rose Beige is one of the colors i am thinking about now. i originally wanted a light green. do you have some closer pictures of your car that you can email me or post to view?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
oldtimelampshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ciccalone View Post
Bonnie Gray and Chelsea Blue is an original lighter combination used in the first four months of 1929. If your car is a later, there can be an arguement made that it could have been special ordered. If you are spending money for a ground up, you would be better served to paint it an original color. Also, please consider doing the wheels black with black wall tires. People will say it's your car, do it the way you want. But bear in mind if you want to sell it in the future, you or your family will have to find the one or two persons who also like it the way you liked it. I see people all the time putting cars up for a lot of money that are not authentically restored. See how many bids they get on eBay for example.

Here's my coupe in Bonnie/Chelsea
great, thanks! wow that bonnie gray looks much lighter on the car then in the ford color chip book. i do like that color. my engine number dates to Aug. 1929 so the chip book says my car is second half of the 29 year and the Bonnie Gray is prior to April. Would this hurt my car value to paint Bonnie Gray after all it is a 29 color ?
thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #20
JoeWay

Quote:
great, thanks! wow that bonnie gray looks much lighter on the car then in the ford color chip book. i do like that color. my engine number dates to Aug. 1929 so the chip book says my car is second half of the 29 year and the Bonnie Gray is prior to April. Would this hurt my car value to paint Bonnie Gray after all it is a 29 color ?
thanks
The JS allow two months' leeway in either direction on most such items, so you'd still be a couple of months off. As to effect on value, I would guess probably less than a color scheme not correct for any part of the year, but it would still matter to many buyers.

I took advantage of the leeway for my May '29 Tudor because my wife really likes the Bonnie Gray/Chelsea Blue.

If you can go to a photo supply store or good camera store and get an 18% Gray color card (sometimes called a neutral color card), you can cut a paint-chip-sized hole in it and lay it over the chips. This will give you a much better idea of the colors on the chips because it makes the background neutral rather than white. Probably a piece of gray cardboard would work fairly well.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote