Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #181
flatjack9

Default Re: Rebuilt Flathead Problems.

I don't think the length difference will cause a problem. They also make stem locks that will reduce the spring length .060 and thus requiring less shim.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #182
pooch

cancel.

Last edited by pooch; 01-21-2018 at 12:08 AM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #183
GordonC

I appreciate the try pooch!
GordonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #184
GordonC

Thanks Gary!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #185
GordonC

I have measured the length of the springs themselves uninstalled from the guides and the list of measurements is in the first picture. Don't know if this is good or bad, just here it is. I also installed #1 intake valve and guide back in the block and installed the retainer clip. I pressed the guide up to hold the clip in place and then took a measurement using my dividers as best I could. I got a measurement of 1.675 when I measured the tips of the dividers using my verniers. Is this the correct way to get the installed height?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180120_154002.jpg (23.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20180120_151731.jpg (56.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 01-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #186
48fordnut

Just read all of this. Some good advice. Hope you can get it going soon. I had a problem getting the crank gear off .Had to use a press. Keep up the good work and Spirits.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #187
Ronnie

In your pictures it appears that the valve stems have 2 grooves and not 1 groove. The valve locks are installed in the groove closest to the valve tip and not in the second groove. The 2nd groove is used for a stock Chevy stem seal (square o ring) and not for a valve keeper. Ignore the second groove and use only the others for your keepers. Installing them this way the installed height will be greater. Hope this makes your measuring easier and correct.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #188
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonC View Post
I have measured the length of the springs themselves uninstalled from the guides and the list of measurements is in the first picture. Don't know if this is good or bad, just here it is. I also installed #1 intake valve and guide back in the block and installed the retainer clip. I pressed the guide up to hold the clip in place and then took a measurement using my dividers as best I could. I got a measurement of 1.675 when I measured the tips of the dividers using my verniers. Is this the correct way to get the installed height?
Looks good to me. So for the #1 intake the free spring height is 2.170 and the measured distance from the guide to the retainer is 1.675. That should compress the spring .495 when installed. Now you need to determine what the spring pressure is at 1.675.

If you were building an all out performance engine I would check each spring assemble, but for a street engine the one set of measurements should be ok and just set all of them to that value.

Last edited by JSeery; 01-20-2018 at 05:47 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #189
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
cancel.

was thinking out loud, it did not work.

Cannot delete pic.
If you really want to delete the drawing, go to Edit, Advanced, select the paper clip on the top bar OR just scroll down to below the Red Bar (Additional Options). In ether case select Manage Attachments. Scroll down to the attachment and check the delete box. You can not delete the post itself, but you should be able to delete the attachment.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #190
flatjack9

As Ronnie said, you should be using the bottom groove. I'm thinking the spring might bind at the top of the lift if you use that groove. This is another thing you need to check. If your spring is installed at 1.675, you need to subtract the lift at the cam from that number and check the spring to make sure it doesn't bind. If the lift is .300, you need to check it at 1.375. Also check the pressure at that height.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #191
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sorry I glossed over the valve groove issue Ronnie and flatjack pointed out! The shop was most likely using this to get around the shim requirement. You need to recheck the valve assembly with the retainer in the proper valve stem groove. And it will almost certainty require shims. I believe that the second groove will not hold the retainer properly and can throw the retainer in use. It's kinda a big deal.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #192
GordonC

Ok! A little back yard engineering and we have a super duper high performance spring tester courtesy of some of the ideas you boys have shown here. Picked up an el cheapo $12 scale from Wally world. Grabbed an old scrap valve I had laying around. Cleaned it up and chucked it up in the drill. Threw the scale on the drill table. Leveled it. Placed a piece of scrap steel on it for protection. Set the needle to zero. Set the handle to stop at 1.675" and then tested all the springs. Here are a few pictures along with the results.

I wondered about the 2 grooves on the valve. Interestingly enough the valve spring locks have the width on the keeper to fit the second groove perfectly. The top groove is somewhat larger so they will probably fit on there as well.

Oh, just for grins because there was some concern for these being progressive wound springs installed incorrectly I tested them from both sides and the posted numbers were the same in either direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180120_175939.jpg (49.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20180120_175947.jpg (41.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20180120_180743.jpg (28.5 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by GordonC; 01-20-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #193
GordonC

It just dawned on me that my installed spring height was done with the keeper in the second groove on the valve, not the lowest groove as has been pointed out. Should I just remeasure all of the valves installed height in each cylinder and do it with the lock in the correct groove? Or just redo #1 with the lock in the correct grove and then recheck the valve spring pressures?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #194
Kahuna

As shown, Gordon, use a scale & a drill press to get a pressure reading & measurement.
Easy & cheap
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #195
Ggmac

Make sure NOT to use the Chevy oil o ring groove with a retainer ! It will not secure your spring for long .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #196
GOSFAST

Hi Gordon, you're going to wind up needing some "special" valve guides (bronze) with our "adjustable" spring seat registers.

They are an "exclusive" here with us and solve ANY desired spring hgt setting. You can "stack" as many as 6 (.060") shims under the springs if necessary!

The main reason we tell all our own customers to avoid "at any cost" using Chevy valves in these Flatties is due to the issues you are experiencing! If you need longer valves simply use some lash caps with the OEM length Flathead valves! This maintains the required correct spring hgts!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I'll say this one last time, if you end up using those "progressive-wound" springs get them installed the correct way?? Here's a shot of our "adjustable-spring-seat-registers", custom made here in-house!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Spring Locator Pkge-1999 B.JPG (81.6 KB, 107 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #197
GordonC

Gary I fully intend to install the springs the correct way. It was the whole reason I got into pulling everything out after you mentioned it. I never said otherwise? Happy to consider the bronze guides and the spring seat registers. If you would like we can take that discussion offline via email. My email address is [email protected] (underscore between first and last name)

I have sunk a lot of money into this motor and before I keep spending good money after bad I would prefer to use what I have, if practical. Many of the books we use for reference on flatheads note using the 1.5 inch chevy valves and that is why I have what I have. I understand your position on them, but they are what I have currently.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #198
cas3

it sure is easy to sink money into ol flatheads! , but they sure are cool
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #199
Ol' Ron

I wonder just what cam your using? The chevy valve is longer than the ord valve and is used oNLY when installing a hi lift cam. You also would have to remove some material from the top of the guide to get at the adjusting nut on the lifter.
Now back to the chevy valve with the two groves. How many of you have used the upper grouve and had a problem, or dod somebody just say it doesn't work. I've used the upper grouve a number of times, and so fare their still running. Just "Fake news". Yes an old scale and a stop in a drillpress will check all the springs in a hurry. I can see why is easier and cheaper to install a SBC here, with all this miss information
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #200
flatjack9

Ol Ron, have you installed springs in the second groove with the shorter style springs? I don't see how that would work. Your probably going to have pretty high spring pressures and possibly coil bind.
PS: see next post.

Last edited by flatjack9; 01-21-2018 at 11:55 AM.