Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #241
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Thank you both. Not sure how many days we have left to hope for really hot weather here in the Northwest. In some ways it wouldn't matter if I didn't do the roof until next summer. I certainly don't plan on leaving it outside in the weather. Bill, can you tell me what goes on before the vinyl? I feel as a commercial type vehicle it wouldn't need padding for a plush look, just what's needed to wear well on the slats and maybe if the long grain vinyl is white on the underside I would rather see brown or black muslin or burlap whatever. The very next task at hand is the passenger side front door. And Bill I just saw your pm with Leonardos phone # Thanks!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #242
Bill

I used white flannel as an underlay material and I taped it in place. Flannel must come in a variety of colors take yer pick. Taped in place rather than stapled will avoid staple and or nails from showing thru tight roofing material. I would recommend that 2" wide red cello tape sold at building supply stores. Maybe by next year Lebaron will have access to the 66"wide material... Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #243
GB SISSON

With summer winding down I got some time today to work on the passenger side front door. I decided to get a few pictures of this process. Once again I drilled out the hinge rivets in a rotten pickup truck door to use as woodie hinges. I had to weld up some of the holes I didn't need and drill and countersink the rest for #14 wood screws. I mortised them into my laminated maple front door stiles and re-drilled the hinges for oversized pins. The pins are made from an old screwdriver I got at a yard sale. I will be welding thick washers on for heads for these new pins. As on the driver's side I am assembling this door within it's opening because of the twisted shape as it mates into the cowl. The rear stile was milled to fit the door jamb and held with a temporary screw to hold it in place. Tomorrow after work I plan to rout the vertical grooves that hold the panels as well as the mahogany marine plywood splines that join the door parts together with the 3m 5200 marine adhesive/sealant and hardened star drive construction lags. With a spline as opposed to Henry's mortise and tenon, both horizontal and vertical members have a 3/8 x 3/4" deep groove and a 1 1/2" strip of marine plywood is inserted and glued in with the 5200. Strong and resilient joint, but tough to pull apart to repair.....It feels good to be back at it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passenger front door 011.jpg (68.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg passenger front door 014.jpg (78.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg passenger front door 018.jpg (80.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg passenger front door 026.jpg (73.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg passenger front door 049.jpg (66.1 KB, 113 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #244
RalphM

Boy, that's going to be a beaut. when. Your done with it.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #245
jerseyboy

GB I love your use of found objects! You make this look so easy.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:38 PM   #246
GB SISSON

Had some family stuff tonight but here's where I got to last night. Still working up the joinery while there's a straight edge here and there, tomorrow I will scribe the curves and cut them out on the bandsaw before assembling the door. The bottom rail will be shaped with power plane and belt sander to conform to the cowl's curves and one more lift of 3/8" maple will be applied to the front stile and overlapped slightly forward to create the rabbet in the door top and edge. Pretty much just as you saw for the driver's door, but thought I'd get detail shots this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pass front door more 007.jpg (67.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg pass front door more 009.jpg (52.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg pass front door more 026.jpg (68.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg pass front door more 034.jpg (74.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 10-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #247
Bill

Love the BUZZ in pic#4. Bet you can juggle four balls... Good luck Bill
Old 10-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #248
GB SISSON

The perimeter of the door shaped and glued up with it's joinery in the opening. I used to think I might like to build a few of these in 'semi-retirement'. Trying to build this in my time off has been a stretch, particularly when I do woodwork all day long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg future barn find 005.jpg (50.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg future barn find 099.jpg (37.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #249
GB SISSON

Got that last door hung. It isn't completely done by a long shot, but it's as done as the other 3. Now I need to think about barn doors vs tailgate. That might wait til spring while I do some mechanical work on it for a change of pace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doors and doors 007.jpg (76.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg doors and doors 028.jpg (44.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg doors and doors 055.jpg (66.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #250
jerseyboy

GB,

Beautiful! I vote barn doors! They will be unique and fit the look of the truck.
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #251
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
GB,

Beautiful! I vote barn doors! They will be unique and fit the look of the truck.
There are some woodie owners here that suggest barn doors may seal better than a tailgate/liftgate against the exhaust fumes that seem to suck into a wagon's tail end. Need more maple to do either and my supplier doesn't deliver to the island for another ten days or so. The barn doors are growing on me.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #252
flatford8

If your taking votes...... make mine for Barn Doors.... it just seems more traditional for a truck than a tailgate and hatch. Your doing a great job and I cant wait till you take us all for a ride... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #253
truckdog62563

If it mattered (it doesn't), my view would be to have a traditional tailgate and hatch. Stu
Old 10-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #254
Newc

Hi all; Brand X suburbans had both types and the barn doors did seal better and tighter. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #255
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Hi all; Brand X suburbans had both types and the barn doors did seal better and tighter. Newc
I have had a few burbs with the barn doors. Ok, I still have one. Easier loading on the costco runs to the mainland too. And yes, I'm taking votes but with all the poll hacking by the Russians, I can't be held to any strict guidelines. I was going to do a sketch and maybe I can scan it.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #256
KGS

GB, Just another option. I've had barn doors; hatch lid with a tail gate and the one I have now, hatch back without a flop down tail gate. Hinged at the top. Swings high and makes a nice sun shade/umbrella. Allows you to reach way inside to retrieve the groceries and you don't bang your thighs on any sharp edge
Love the project and your craftsmanship!
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #257
PeteVS

For what it's worth, barn doors allow an easier reach into the cargo bay. Cargo doesn't have to be lifted past the tailgate going in or out.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #258
Bill

Smile Re: Truck based woody

No question a liftgate with woodgrained gas lift cylnders is the most functional but you know that ain't happenin'! Go with barn doors and give the windows some style.... Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08072.jpg (66.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #259
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
No question a liftgate with woodgrained gas lift cylnders is the most functional but you know that ain't happenin'! Go with barn doors and give the windows some style.... Bill
Funny, in the last set of photos I had added a triangle of plywood with a radiused corner in the upper rear corner of the rear side window. I was gonna ask if I should do this in maple like the '47 ford woodies. I know the ford built corner is sawn in and mitered. Then all the while when I think about barn doors I wonder if the two windows should have radiused corners. Henry's wagon lift gate never did. I know the windows need to be big, as my tonner panel's back windows are way too small.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #260
GB SISSON

Here's my sketch. It makes a lot of sense to me. What a small time local builder would opt for? Glass is cheap with square corners... Woodwork is basically the same as a house door, not a chris craft or a steinway. Windows look big. This is the first sketch I have done for any part of the woodie. The Seattle architects I work with always want 'shop drawings'. I have no drawing board, no cad program, or anything resembling that. One time I mailed the 'shop drawings' we use back to a Seattle firm. They were all on scraps of 1/4" plywood and wouldn't fit through the slot on my fax machine. It feels great to be getting old and not care what the yuppie architects think about how I operate...... Well I think I have to get the sketch out of a pdf?? Details at eleven... edit: If someone can make this sketch right side up and appear without a link, have at it, I give up.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf woodie barn doors.pdf (23.0 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 10-18-2016 at 07:39 PM.