Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
adavis

Default 8 volt battery question

My 31 has difficulty starting when it gets cold so I started looking around to see if there is anything I can do. I still run the 6v system, but I have upgraded to a Pertronix in a vintage Mallory Dual-Point distributor. After some research I've come to the conclusion that an 8v battery is the way to go. I called Pertronix and they verified that it won't damage their unit....in fact it will help.
Well, I find myself at the local mega farm store yesterday and they have five of their 8v batteries on the shelf. I was about to throw one in my cart when I looked at the label.....and here's my question.
The battery I've ran for the last 5 years is a carquest #1-30. If you look up the specs it has 800 CA and 640 CCA. OK great you say, but if everyone says that an 8v battery is supposed to crank the engine better than how come the battery I'm looking to buy (#c8v-1) has LESS CA and CCA??? I'm definitely not an electrical guy, but how can a battery with less cranking amps do a better job of cranking over an engine? I'm ASSUMING it has to do with some calculation based on the voltage, resistance, and amperage but I just want to make sure before I lay down the cash.
Thanks in advance for the simply electrical lesson.....I'm sure that's all I need.
adavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
Crankster

Default Re: 8 volt battery question

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis View Post
After some research I've come to the conclusion that an 8v battery is the way to go ... Thanks in advance for the simply electrical lesson.....I'm sure that's all I need.
I think it begs the question. Can you point to a link or where your research led to this conclusion? Not trying to be combative here, but I'm wondering why this is the answer. Do they sell 8 volt battery chargers?
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
adavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
I think it begs the question. Can you point to a link or where your research led to this conclusion? Not trying to be combative here, but I'm wondering why this is the answer. Do they sell 8 volt battery chargers?
I completely understand. I've heard of the 8v battery trick before so this winter I started researching it. From what I've found online as well as talking to the local guys it seems like there is no drawbacks from running an 8v battery....only the advantage of better engine cranking and a little brighter bulbs. I figure that I'm probably due for a new battery anyway seeing that my current 6v battery is 5 years old.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
JDupuis

Run an extra ground strap directly to the transmission. This may help. Jeff
Old 02-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
slammin

If I'm wrong I know someone will correct me, but I don't believe am 8 volt battery in a 6 volt system will ever be fully charged. I also think it will shorten the life of your light bulbs. you should do a search here on the Barn because I know 8 volt batteries have been discussed before.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Scottio57

MY dad ran 8 volt batteries in all his old cars and trucks for many many years. A 6 volt charging system, or battery charger, will charge up an 8 volt battery just fine without any changes. Your cars electrical system will handle it as well. Many people will question your decision and say you should stay with 6 volt but mechanically you will be fine and it WILL spin your starter over faster. I chose to stay with 6 volt myself but although it gets into the teens at night around here it is in the 30s or 40s by the time I drive around.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I don't use an 8 volt battery. I do know that my completely stock original 6 volt model A generator fully charges my 12 volt battery. The model A generator will charge whatever battery that it is connected to up to 40 volts . The generator charges in amps. Using an 8 volt battery could very well shorten 6 volt bulb life . Original type bulbs are pretty cheap and would last a while . The best bet for a more powerfull electrical system is a 12 volt conversion. A 12 volt positive ground conversion doesn't require changing a single wire . Good 12 volt bulbs are readily available that fit the original sockets , even halogen
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
daren007

Volts do all the work.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Amps charge the battery !!!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
adavis

I understand the benefits of converting to 12v, but I'm dead set on running an old 6v Echlin beehive coil so I'm stuck. I haven't had an issue with the 6v system other than it cranks slow when it's cold. I can start the car if I hook a charger to it. I realize that the issue might be the age of my current 6v battery (5 years) but it does test 6.4v with a multimeter. From what I've read/heard an 8v battery is a good upgrade so I planned on buying one to try, but I was concerned when I saw the cranking amps were lower on the 8v than the 6v. That's what didn't make sense.
I have been told I'll need to adjust my voltage regulator to 8.5v but other than that all should be fine.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #11
DJ S

Quote:
I understand the benefits of converting to 12v, but I'm dead set on running an old 6v Echlin beehive coil so I'm stuck. I haven't had an issue with the 6v system other than it cranks slow when it's cold. I can start the car if I hook a charger to it. I realize that the issue might be the age of my current 6v battery (5 years) but it does test 6.4v with a multimeter. From what I've read/heard an 8v battery is a good upgrade so I planned on buying one to try, but I was concerned when I saw the cranking amps were lower on the 8v than the 6v. That's what didn't make sense.
I have been told I'll need to adjust my voltage regulator to 8.5v but other than that all should be fine.

You don't know the true health of the battery unless you hook it up to a load tester....
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #12
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

fix what is wrong with your car and the original 6 volt system will work fine.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #13
Scottio57

I agree. A good working 6 volt system will work the best. Find the problem and fix it. ����
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Some people just want a more powerfull electrical system. There was nothing wrong with the six volt system on my roadster.Six volts is a bare get by.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #15
adavis

Ok that makes sense.

So let's ASSUME that everything is fine but my old 6v battery is wore out. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't install an 8v battery? Or why anyone wouldn't install an 8v battery for that matter. If the only drawback is having to adjust your voltage regulator and bulbs not lasting as long (but burning brighter while they work) then I guess I don't see why more people don't switch (other than a 100 point restoration car).

Old 02-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #16
Doug_Knutson

I tried the 8 volt battery .. Worked great But I have an electronic voltage regulator inside my generator which is trying to maintain 6.6volts hence the 8 volt battery never charged .. switch back to the 6 volt battery and everything works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doug_Knutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #17
DJ S

Quote:
Ok that makes sense.

So let's ASSUME that everything is fine but my old 6v battery is wore out. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't install an 8v battery? Or why anyone wouldn't install an 8v battery for that matter. If the only drawback is having to adjust your voltage regulator and bulbs not lasting as long (but burning brighter while they work) then I guess I don't see why more people don't switch (other than a 100 point restoration car).

8 volt batteries can be more difficult to come by, I guess that's just one reason why some don't.

I just use 6 volt batteries because that's what's suppose to be used and I've never had a problem with them.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Quote:

I've ran the beehive six volt coils on six volt .The ones that I used were oil filled . You can shake your coil and either feel or hear the oil sloshing if your coil is oil filled . Oil filled coils must be mounted upside down from the way that the model A coil was mounted or they will fail quickly. I didn't know this at the time and went through a few coils before I found out what was causing the poroblem. In other words , if your coil is oil filled like my beehive coil was , the big wire that comes off the coil and connects to the distributor cap needs to be pointing upward when the coil is mounted. I'm not trying to tell you what to do . I'm just tring to give helpfull info to whoever it may concern . A person can run a six volt coil on 12 volts if a ballast resister is used . Eight volt batteries and bulbs are not always readily available, that is why I chose 12 volts .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 02-05-2018 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #19
eagle

Adjust your voltage regulator???? I take it you don't have a stock charging system? The battery is the regulator on an original charging system. Original charging system will charge an 8V battery just fine but all your bulbs are going to burn out early. If you have a good 6V battery with the proper sized battery cables, and a ground strap between starter and frame, 6 V will crank the engine just fine for winter starts.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Knutson View Post
I tried the 8 volt battery .. Worked great But I have an electronic voltage regulator inside my generator which is trying to maintain 6.6volts hence the 8 volt battery never charged .. switch back to the 6 volt battery and everything works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The nurex voltage regulator that takes the place of the third brush will only charge six volts . If you want the original generator to charge an 8 volt battery you will need to use a good cut out or a Fun Projects voltage regulator. The Fun Projects regulator takes the place of the cut out and is available in 6 ,8 ,and 12 volt versions.