Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #61
1948F-1Pickup

Default Re: Ebay sales tax in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
Is the tax just on the item purchased or are they adding shipping to the taxable amount?
Tax just on the item purchased.

Here's a non-automotive transaction from yesterday, buyer and seller in CA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-10-2019 6-53-25 AM.jpg (32.6 KB, 58 views)
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #62
deuce5wndw

To answer Frank Miller's question, eBay collects the sales tax and the seller doesn't even see the total with the sales tax added. As a seller on eBay I'm glad eBay is the one doing the collecting and remitting to the different states! Can you imagine the headache keeping track and sending to 38 states? In Kentucky there is a a small fee given to the merchant for collecting sales tax so I would assume eBay is making that fee in all the states.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #63
38bill

Minnesota has always required that you pay sales tax on taxable items purchased out of state for use in Minnesota. I think there was an annual purchases amount of something like $700 before you had to declare and pay the sales tax. I doubt than many people followed this law. The new Fed law just makes it easier for the states to collect the tax by making Ebay, Amazon etc, responsible in the collection since they oversee the transaction.

PS:A merchant in Minnesota receives nothing for collecting, reporting and forwarding the sales tax collected. Shipping is also taxable in MN.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #64
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
The tax is based on point of delivery. If you buy in store and leave with items you pay the local tax where the store is . If you have an item shipped to your home you pay your local sales tax. I have a business and sell and deliver to surrounding areas and have to collect and pay the tax to the districts that I deliver to. At least I get the satisfaction of doing all the collection, accounting and dispersing the funds at my expense.... and hopefully there are no errors that I will be penalized for.

Like I said, I understand all that but I disagree with the principle. And yeah, I realize my disagreement and $5 (plus tax ) will get me a Starbucks.

As for your error-free collecting, accounting and dispersing, I sympathize. But that's a cost of doing business and I assume you have priced your goods to cover that overhead.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #65
DavidG

Florida has the same requirement as Minnesota and other states likely do as well. Let me guess who is unaware of that despite being a resident (evidently).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #66
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Florida has the same requirement as Minnesota and other states likely do as well. Let me guess who is unaware of that despite being a resident (evidently).

OK, go ahead and guess...to whom does the bolded refer?
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #67
Talkwrench

As an international buyer you pay both ends.. If I purchase in the U.S.or U.K I would be paying some sort of tax on it, doesn't come duty free. And now even if its under $1000 I'll be paying a 10% tax when it comes into Australia. And with the postage thats been jacked up I will be paying twice of what its really worth!
Old 11-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #68
DavidG

It refers to the guy who lives in a state where there is no income tax and yet he still resents helping to pay for the services he receives from the state.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #69
paul2748

Mike - your incorrect. Yes, most states call their tax Sales & Use but they are a little different. Sales tax is paid where you take delivery as mentioned above, usually from a instate seller. "Use" tax is a tax levied on the buyer if he purchases the goods from out of state and the item is shipped into the buyers location and no tax is charged by the seller. The buyer is required to report such purchases and pay the "USE" tax. This usually came into play before the new court case came into play. Now with the new court ruling, it may have less of an effect on the "Use" side because out of state sellers may be required to charge sales tax no matter where the seller has a location.

Just as a side note, prior to the court ruling, an out of state seller was not required to charge an instate buyer any sales tax if the seller did not have a business location in the state where the item was sent to.

I was in the corporate tax department of a large multi-state corporation and dealt with these taxes all the time. I dealt with a large number of states' sales taxes. I dealt with the state's auditors all the time.

I also disagree on the your statement abut "bootlegging' There is nothing illegal (as far as I know)about a person going to another state and buying goods tax free and then bring them into a state that taxes the same items. They are supposed to report out of state purchases and pay the tax if the state requires them to do so (Use Tax). The "crime" is not paying the tax, not buying the goods tax free in another state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Just to add more trivia to the bonfire:
Sales tax laws are written as "Sales and Use Taxes". The tax is imposed on where the person USES the item. Crossing state lines to buy products tax-free (and then take them home to your taxed state) is technically a crime sometimes called bootlegging. My state has no tax on food or clothing. Our border areas have many clothing outlet stores that see busloads of people daily.

Last edited by paul2748; 11-10-2019 at 09:01 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:29 AM   #70
RobR'35

The states that collect tax have always cried for more where they can get it, and waste it. Now a NEW source of revenue where they can collect from and waste, they'll still be looking, crying for more.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #71
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR'35 View Post
The states that collect tax have always cried for more where they can get it, and waste it. Now a NEW source of revenue where they can collect from and waste, they'll still be looking, crying for more.
California is a classic example.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #72
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I also disagree on the your statement abut "bootlegging' There is nothing illegal (as far as I know)about a person going to another state and buying goods tax free and then bring them into a state that taxes the same items. They are supposed to report out of state purchases and pay the tax if the state requires them to do so (Use Tax). The "crime" is not paying the tax, not buying the goods tax free in another state.
Not sure about this part, it was a fairly common practice in Kansas to go into Missouri and purchase alcohol and tobacco products. It was my understanding that it was illegal to cross state lines with these products. They required a state tax stamp. Not sure what the current law is or if it has changed.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #73
paul2748

In a lot of cases , alcohol and tobacco fall under different rules, not necessarly under the sales tax law. Some states have a maximum that can be brought into their state from outside if it falls under a "personal use" exemption. (Alcohol even has an exemption under the Federal alcohol tax for a certain maximum that is purchased outside the U.S.) Bootlegging usually applies when a person purchases alcohol or tobacco products for resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Not sure about this part, it was a fairly common practice in Kansas to go into Missouri and purchase alcohol and tobacco products. It was my understanding that it was illegal to cross state lines with these products. They required a state tax stamp. Not sure what the current law is or if it has changed.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #74
BoxCar Tom

Originally Posted by DavidG
"It refers to the guy who lives in a state where there is no income tax and yet he still resents helping to pay for the services he receives from the state."

Its the American way, Ever body loves living here but nobody wants to pay taxes.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #75
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
Originally Posted by DavidG
"It refers to the guy who lives in a state where there is no income tax and yet he still resents helping to pay for the services he receives from the state."

Its the American way, Ever body loves living here but nobody wants to pay taxes.

It's how the money spent. When 70-80% of my tax dollar is dedicated to the excessive wages, benefits and perks paid to government employees, there's not much left over to fill the potholes in the streets....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #76
paul2748

Taxes are what we pay for civilized society.” The famous quote by US Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. is inscribed above the entrance to the headquarters of the Internal Revenue Service.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #77
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
To answer Frank Miller's question, eBay collects the sales tax and the seller doesn't even see the total with the sales tax added. As a seller on eBay I'm glad eBay is the one doing the collecting and remitting to the different states! Can you imagine the headache keeping track and sending to 38 states? In Kentucky there is a a small fee given to the merchant for collecting sales tax so I would assume eBay is making that fee in all the states.

That is a good point. Agree totally. And for local businesses it's fair.

But to play devils advocate, it's like back in the day when banks gave out debit cards and they were free to use as a consumer everywhere. Years later the fees started. I'd guess ebay will do the same. It's a slow squeeze! hahaha It's still a great site or was.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #78
35fordtn

eBay used to be and still is a good gig, however I pay them more in a year in fees than I make as a income myself.. As a seller eBay has made the sales tax change easy. For the buyer, there was no warning..

I hope to, in the near future put eBay in my rearview mirror for the most part..
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #79
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
eBay used to be and still is a good gig, however I pay them more in a year in fees than I make as a income myself.
I'm not sure how that can happen as they only take a % of your income from sales.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #80
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
I'm not sure how that can happen as they only take a % of your income from sales.
They take a percentage of your sale, a percentage of the shipping, charge you a fee for your store (I think ours is the $400.00 a month version), and charge you a listing fee per listing per month (roughly $1) on a buy it now if I remember correctly but i could be wrong as my wife handles all of that end. They also charge a very minimal listing fee.

So if a small to medium sized seller has 2500 buy it now items, thats a $2500 a month bill (assuming they dont sell within a 30 day period..

eBay is a great outlet for volume, but after the fees and the typical overhead of a business added in it's really adds up.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote