Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
Vanspeed

Default Light switch rod and steering box need help

Hi guys, I have a question regarding early boxes and headlight switch rods. I am putting together a ford using a 1948 ford F-1 steering box. I want to run my 1935 banjo wheel and light switch rod on it. I have a spare tapered shaft because the F-1 used a splined shaft. I was told that using the bottom plate and associated parts off a 37-39 ford box will get me the parts I need. I found them but my headlight rod will not go through the tube in the bottom plate. Does anybody have a box taken apart that can show me what the bottom plate and tube look like from a 37-39? Does the bottom plate have a tube? I have one here from a 37-39 I believe and there is no tube. Very confusing.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Light switch rod and steering box need help

The tube is what keeps the steering lubricate isolated from the steering rod where it passes through the box. It is long enough to reach to the top of the box above the lubricate level. Also, the gaskets between the different plates at the bottom of the steering box are what sets the load on the bearings. Looks like the plate with the tube is in your second and also the last photo, at the top. I'm not sure if there was a diameter change during the different years.

Looked up the part numbers:

33-36 is 40-3597
37-39 is 78-3597-B

The Ford name for the part is - Tube and plate assy (steering gear oil retainer)

But I don't know what the tube ID is on them. I would guess that you will need the 33-36 plate assy.

Last edited by JSeery; 12-02-2019 at 08:33 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Vanspeed

I did some reading and it seems that end plates that had the steel tube are for 1940 and up because only the horn wire passed through. It seems that the plates that had a horn rod go through them had brass tubes? Also the brass tube was a bigger diameter to allow the horn rod to pass through. Any of this sound right?
Old 12-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
barnfind08

You are correct use 78-3597
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind08 View Post
You are correct use 78-3597
Is there a tube diameter difference between the earlier (33-36) and later 37-39) parts?
Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Vanspeed

I believe all the light switch rods are the same diameter as I have a 29 A light switch rod and it is the same diameter as my 35 light switch rod. Are the plates 78-3597 difficult to find? I don’t ever see them for sale.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
I believe all the light switch rods are the same diameter as I have a 29 A light switch rod and it is the same diameter as my 35 light switch rod. Are the plates 78-3597 difficult to find? I don’t ever see them for sale.
Check with Barnfind08, he may have them or know where to get one.

This might be helpful, it was posted by Tom Mason:

"Bottom electrical hook-up - A couple of things. First, in order to handle your lighting bulb you need to use a '37-'39 tube and plate assembly (78-3597) along with that a bail spring (78-3647) and a '37-'39 light bracket (78-3569). You cannot use a '35-'36 assembly (different bolt arrangement). There are a couple of repo tube and plate assemblies being sold. In both cases I found the tube section (which was steel) to be too thick to fit inside the steering shaft opening, so you may be stuck trying to find a good original, if you don't have one. Incidentally, check closely where the brass tube meets the steel plate. It is not unusual that cracks occur in this location. If not addressed you will have a gear oil leak. The smaller light bracket which the lighting bulb fits into is not being reproduced (that I am aware of). However, you can still use a '35-'36 bracket. It will bolt on to the bottom of the '37-'40 gear assembly but you need to re-slot it to accept the lighting bulb."

Last edited by JSeery; 12-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #8
jimTN

If you have a 40, drill it our, find a piece of tubing that your rod will fit in and will pass thru the steering shaft, solder it to the plate and you are in business.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote