Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #21
Curt Campbell

Default Re: Model A Crash in Temple City, CA

The other day i was thinking about fuel tanks and their incredible lack of safety. I was looking at lined fluel cells that race cars use. There is no reason a impenetrable fuel cell liner could not be easily designed for a model a tank. In other works a fuel cell in the shape of a A tank. Or, better yet mount real fuel cell mounted on rear area of car with fuel pump
....similar to old chevy are but SAFE!. KEEP original tank up front for looks but not use it.
I am seriously considering that option. Seat belts are MANDATORY. Could be placed discreetly in rear of car.

What do you think? Safe fuel cells are readily available from our racing and rod friends. I get very concerned when some will not use even the simplest of safety equipment.....ie turn signals...seat belts..sucgion cup third brake light etc. I choose to make myself and my family safe....higher priority than purist. And i think with some ingenuity it can be easily done without taking away from the looks of the A.

I am going to do it. Any thoughts or ideas?

There is no shame in being smart to keep you and riders safe.
Curt Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #22
CWPASADENA

Folks;

I think it would be best for the hobby if we do not resort to speculation until all the facts are in. In due course, the results of the investigations will be made public. Then we can evaluate the findings and decide how those findings may relate to our own cars.

My opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #23
daveymc29

34 years in the Oakland fire department and I never had a fire involving the gas tank in an A. Matter of fact I can think of only a couple of fires after, a wreck that involved the gas tank. the couple I can think of were in fairly new cars that got hit hard enough that the people involved were most likely killed upon impact, seat belt, air bags or nothing. These were multi car accidents with large trucks pinning the automobile to a railing, both on an overpass. In the Loma Prieta earthquake there were a number of cars trapped under the upper deck of the Cypress structure when it fell onto the lower deck. As I recall there was just one auto fire that was fully involved. Most of the cars had stopped "safely" under huge beams. These were disastrous when they fell. I was in charge of recovery at night, bad memories. Use your seat belts. On elevated structures, time allowing, do not stop under a large concrete support beam. If caught in an earthquake, if all traffic stops get out and lay down next to your car until the quake stops. Then get out of there quickly by any means possible. If you have to, jump. Best to avoid being under elevated roadways.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #24
Tom Endy

The cause of the accident has not been determined. Members of the local club have contacted the authorities and offered to inspect the vehicle to help determine if there was a mechanical failure that caused loss of steering.

The funeral for the two people that died in the accident is next Friday.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #25
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Folks;

I think it would be best for the hobby if we do not resort to speculation until all the facts are in. In due course, the results of the investigations will be made public. Then we can evaluate the findings and decide how those findings may relate to our own cars.

My opinion,

Chris W.
Chris, I agree with your comments. Like mentioned there have been very few if any accidents like this in the Model A both now and in the past. So why get concerned about things that may or may not be a problem. Enjoy your hobby-you can walk across the street and be done in also!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #26
denis4x4

Go over to the HAMB and you'll see a lot more class in the responses to this tragedy then those posted here.