Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
29ModelA

Default Does anyone have any photo's from when they reset their ODO reading?

I have a rebuilt speedo, and the trip odometer has quit working already and the speedo has always been off. I am thinking of trying to adjust it, and fix the trip odometer, OR I have an original unrestored one that I can just reset the wheels on.

I have read the links in previous threads from the following link, but am not finding any pictures of the teardown.

http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/speedometer/

I have torn apart the original speedometer already since its seal was already broken but am hesitant in my understanding of how the wheels come out.

Here are pics of the original one, someone has had it apart at one time as the seal was broken.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!

Last edited by 29ModelA; 05-07-2013 at 02:32 PM.
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: Does anyone have any photo's from when they reset their ODO reading?

Here is an Article written by Gorden Fisher on servicing Model a ford speedometers

Handouts courtesy of THE BEAVER CHAPTER, MAFCA Portland, Oregon.

Article and Sketches by Gordon Fischer. Copyright 6-12-94

http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/spee...r/fischer.html

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
29ModelA

Default Re: Does anyone have any photo's from when they reset their ODO reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
Here is an Article written by Gorden Fisher on servicing Model a ford speedometers

http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/spee...r/fischer.html
I have read it, but am more of a visual learner so I was hoping for pictures of how to get them out.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

After I filled up with gas last summer I thought mine quit working. I just didn't have the trip knob pushed in all the way.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Christoph

Good idea by Tom.
...and dont use the trip-knob while driving.
This might kill things inside

Odometer of my car didnt work for years.
Once i took it out, i found:
The worm-drive creates some pressure in direction
of the shaft/spindle.
This forced the bearings to travel (a bit) out of the
housing. I pressed it in again (and glued the bearing
into the housing lateron) and it works eversince..

Hope you have a similar easy-to-solve-prob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worm drive.jpg (168.8 KB, 43 views)
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
29ModelA

Well I dove in head first on the original good shape speedometer since I already had it that far apart, and if I screwed up I would only be out $50. I reset it to the current mileage of our car and also put it into what I believe is an original dash. versus the chrome repro I have. I am trying to get original parts back on it when I can.

Once installed I can break the seal on the one I paid for rebuilt and see what the heck went wrong with it. The original speedo I have actually will fit the look of the car better anyway.

Some pictures.

I took the rivit at the left of the shaft out and then was able to gently lift the wheels right out.

Then I gently worked the small keeper off (on the concrete board on the ground)

There were 2 more washers (above the wheels)

This allowed me to slide the wheels and reset them to my mileage. I used 204, as that is the mileage since the car has gone back on the road. The original mileage of the car was over 95,000 so it was ready to roll over anyway. I have that mileage recorded separate.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Hopefully it will work.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
29ModelA

Well this original one, the speed is spot on, but neither the odometer nor trip are rolling over. They started to, and tried a bit, so I guess I am going to tear it apart again and see if I can tell where it is stuck.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
160B

If you loosen the wheels so you can realign the numbers you can get into trouble as the carry wheel short tooth orientation could be compromised and the result will be that the odometer will lock up. Look at the carry wheel and note that the short tooth position is important. Here is a figure and some text from the Gordon Fisher article.

“Refer to figure 9 when beginning assembly of the upper odometer wheels. Lubricate all parts as you assemble them. Slip on the drive gear, followed by the carry wheel disc, with the brass side to the right. The short tooth of the carry wheel must be down, toward the center, which positions a full tooth straight up.”

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I see that Norm's Antique Auto in Davenport, Ia. is still being advertised in the Restorer. He also would rebuild speedometers, did a nice job. BUT don't send it to Norm for a rebuild.

Nice guy but he died over a year and a half ago and to my knowledge there is nothing there anymore they had two large auctions last summer and sold off all of his stuff

Some folks had jobs there for him to do, and wound up losing their parts I think they were thrown into the auction.
I tore it back apart and think I found the issue. The trip odometer shaft was too far out - something I didn't touch, and it looked like a couple things were not lined up right. I did have one of the carry wheels backward, I swear I put them as I found them, but this speedometer has obviously been apart before.

I put it back together and will test it again tomorrow.

As far as rebuilding another one, I plan to hold off. I have the rebuilt one here, and the guy that does it stands behind his work. I think the problems it has were from getting jostled in shipping. I had already shipped it back once for repair. If this one works I will run it as I won't have to monkey with re-adjusting the speedwheel since it is already accurate.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
Good idea by Tom.
...and dont use the trip-knob while driving.
This might kill things inside

Odometer of my car didnt work for years.
Once i took it out, i found:
The worm-drive creates some pressure in direction
of the shaft/spindle.
This forced the bearings to travel (a bit) out of the
housing. I pressed it in again (and glued the bearing
into the housing lateron) and it works eversince..

Hope you have a similar easy-to-solve-prob.
I bought a nice looking speedometer at a swap meet about 5 years ago. When I removed the rear cover I found a steel bushing had come out of place and got stuck to the magnet wheel, which jammed and broke the shaft.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
1916modeltford

Took mine apart yesterday because the odometer read 8209, same reading that is on 1989 Mo. title for the 29.

Found both worm gear bearings stuck to magnet. Speedometer works but still trying to get odo to turn. I can turn it by hand. Did notice that worm shaft wants to back out so will glue in place today and try again to get numbers to turn.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
29ModelA

Well I need to tear it down now completely. It seemed to be working, and then I heard the cable binding and the whole thing stopped. I got it back apart and everything looked ok, but apparently the worm shaft shoved the bushing out the side - because it fell off the minute I popped open the case. Now I can't find the bushing

Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
gweilbaker

Something I remember from awhile back about the cables being wound backwards, you wouldn't have one of them would you?
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29ModelA View Post
Well I need to tear it down now completely. It seemed to be working, and then I heard the cable binding and the whole thing stopped. I got it back apart and everything looked ok, but apparently the worm shaft shoved the bushing out the side - because it fell off the minute I popped open the case. Now I can't find the bushing
Check under the magnetic wheel.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilbaker View Post
Something I remember from awhile back about the cables being wound backwards, you wouldn't have one of them would you?
Don't think so, not sure though. It is the same cable that worked fine with my rebuilt speedometer.

Tom, I already did. It isn't there. I am pretty sure it fell into my deck as I was working outside since it was nice out. I have pulled a couple boards off, but can't see it down there. I may pull one more so I can actually fit myself down there this afternoon.

I had a loose board anyway, on the positive side now I have to fix it.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
29ModelA

Well, I took what I learned from tearing apart the swap meet speedo and thought I might rob the cars actual original speedo of it's bushing since it appeared to be absolutely smoked anyway.

After I cut it out of the old dash panel that was not salvageable and removed the smoked rear cover I found the guts to be in remarkably good shape. Instead of fixing the swap meet speedo I monkeyed with the original one and mixed some parts and it now functions great! The speed dial actually measures the right speed by GPS - although it bounces around a lot compared to the rebuilt one, but a measured mile is a measured mile, and the speed is far closer to the real speed than the rebuilt one was!

When I get time I will likely try to see if I can hand drop off the rebuilt speedo to the rebuilder and see if he can repair it again. I kind of like that the cars original speedometer is back with it, albeit 205 miles off of what it should be.