Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
QGolden

Default Rear end alignment

So I installed my rear spring tonight and re-installed my rear end. I have not attached the Radius Rods yet.

I assembled the springs, put them to the rear and the shackles. Visually centered the rear through the Center Bolt hole, and jacked up the rear into place, taking care to be sure the Center Bolt came up into the Center Bolt hole.

I installed the clamps, alternately tightening them each side equally until they drew tight.

The frame is setting level on 4 jack stands and the level is measured with a high quality 6 foot level. I checked my level by measuring to the concrete floor, I am within a quarter inch front to rear and less then that across the back of the frame.

When I measure from the tip of end of the axle to the floor, one side is lower than the other, about an inch difference. I can grab one end of the axle and move it up and down, it moves within the rear cross-member freely, and returns to the same place, about an inch low on one side.

Any thoughts on what I should check?

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Rear end alignment

I am not sure you are going to get equal heights this way with the rear end hanging.
The test is does the car tilt left or right once it is on the ground and the axle becomes load bearing.

However it seems odd the axle/spring will move around in the frame cross member like this...are both the bolts that bolt the spring into that cross member intact?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i just installed my rear today into the frame. i am not sure what you mean by its loose in the crossmember..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.2 KB, 86 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

With the rear end hanging what angle9s) are the shackles at?? Any binds in the shackles?? Like tbird says, put it on the ground. Also attach the radius rods and I'll bet it hangs equal. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
QGolden

The shackles are pretty much level, and shackles/bushings are new. They were not binding before I installed the spring.

I did leave two springs out of the spring pack. But not the top two shortest springs.

By "loose in the crossmember" I do not mean that it is loose, poor choice of words. I mean that I can grab either end of the axle and move it up and down, so I don't think the spring is binding on the sides of the crossmember.

Maybe I should move my jacks stands under the axle and then measure to the frame.

Mitch, I wish I had your lift! That is nice.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I am not going to worry about checking for lean until i get the car completely assembled and the full body weight on the ground. If at that point it leans just loosen the spring u bolts and shift, retighten.
Your more than welcome to use one of the lifts anytime u want

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 05-07-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Golden,
If you took out 2 leaves, MAYBE you ran out of threads on the "U" bolts??? Bill W.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
QGolden

Hi Bill, good thought, but I made spacers to make up for it.

Thanks Mitch, I've been to Bucks Cty before, but it is a bit of a haul from NH use a lift! How do you "loosen the spring u bolts and shift, retighten"? The center bolt will not fit through the center bolt hole in the crossmember if I shift the springs?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

there are many threads on lean problems with alot of different answers. try doing a SEARCH for body lean

i repaired a few by loosening the rear u-bolts and tightening the opposite side first that the car was leaning.

my lifts are in philly but just as far lol
Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
QGolden

LOL, thanks Mitch. That gives me options, I did SEARCH, but did not think of the issue as "body lean" as the body is not on! I thought of it as a rear end install problem. I will continue to build and worry about it when I get to set it on the floor.