Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #61
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

The 1st generation of the Chevy 6-cylinder engine had issues. We know the Model A's engine with only 3 main bearings puts too much strain on the center main bearing. Now imagine a 6-cylinder engine with only 3 main bearings as did the Chevy 6-cylinder. After 2 years of production, Chevrolet had to strengthen the crankshaft and the block because of inherent weaknesses.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #62
Tom Wesenberg

I have some 29 Chevy cars and trucks, and never had any engine issues. The wood body with tin nailed on was the issue.

I have a 29 Chevy 4 door sedan that someone should buy for $200. Some assembly required.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #63
Jeff/Illinois

Die hard fan of the Blue Oval here, would never own anything else, but I do enjoy seeing antique Chevrolets at the car shows, Model A era and early to mid 30's neat to look at.

A guy in a neighboring town has a '29 Chevy Coupe that is pretty sharp. Another has a '29 Chevy Tudor, all original sold new in the small farm town he lives in, I enjoy seeing it at the shows too.

I was at a farm sale about 7 years ago where they were selling a '27 Chevy Coupe, needed restored didn't run but it was all there and a solid car. It brought around $5-6K if I recall. Young guy about 22 years old bought the car and he is putting it back to bone stock original. I thought that was pretty cool
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:15 AM   #64
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post

BTW I detest chevs, I helped a pal restore a 28 Tourer and I owned a 34 master coupe with knee action shocks and they were a turd of an idea.

Several of my vintage car friends have Chevs and rant on and on about them.
I never thought to ask them why there are so few around -but I will ! One friend has a 34 Master with the knee action shocks -What a POS - Good way to get shock fluid on the ground. Also is gutless and my 34 ford eats it in a race.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #65
eagle

About 12 years ago before I bought my A, I looked a couple times at a 29 Chev Fordor. Looked good from 20 feet but all of the doors sagged. Had to lift them to get them to close. Ran good though, owner was asking $3500. Don't know what he got out of it, sat there quite a while. Sure glad I didn't buy it. Couldn't tell really where the sagging came from, seemed like the whole car was just settling. I'm afraid it would've been an ugly job to fix.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #66
Jim Brierley

In 1928, Chevy had their 6 cyl. engine ready for production but didn't want to butt heads with "the new Ford", so they improved their old 4 cyl. and waited a year. Yes, Chevy's did break axles but not as frequently as stated above. In 1953 my buddy across the street bought a '29 Chevy for $10. We were both 16, and abused cars as most 16 year old's did, it never broke an axle, neither did my '31 Pontiac or '29 Hudson, but my '41 Buick did in 1955, while hill climbing with it. The biggest problem wit old Chevy's was their wood-framed bodies, as many other cars at that time were. They were fine until left outside in the rain for a few decades. As long as we are on the subject, bigger, more expensive cars did not survive as much as Fords was they were more expensive to rebuild their engines, etc., so when they got really tired, they were scrapped. Pontiac was a good example of this. ... or so I've been told by guys older than me. :-)
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #67
1930artdeco

I actually saw a mid 30's Chevy in the wild this weekend! It was coupe and looked bone stock. Sounded like a v-8 under the hood but it was a stock 6 cyl. It looked really nice as well.

Mike
Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #68
ericr

don't many people think the 1932 Chevrolet was one of the most beautiful production cars ever made?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #69
Bob-A

Smile Re: Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
don't many people think the 1932 Chevrolet was one of the most beautiful production cars ever made?
The "Baby Cadillac" was and is still a very beautiful car!

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #70
BILL WILLIAMSON

We shouldn't be PREJUDICED against other peoples or CARS.
Bill Mellow
Old 05-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #71
Jim Brierley

Most cars of the day had 4 springs, and rode smoother than Fords. Chevy used only 3 mains until 1937, but were of about the same cubic inches as A's, and with power "putts" closer together than 4's, were easier on bearings. And yes, the '32 Chevy was a beautiful car, as were many others that year. I always wondered why 1932 was a single-style year for many cars?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #72
Corley

Smart a__ answer to the question of where have all the Chevys gone is they've all gone to '55-'57s at the car shows. Tri five Chevys just keep coming out of the woodwork, to great excess!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #73
George Miller

I for one would take a 1932 chev for my model A. I had one many years ago and it was a vary nice car.

Last edited by George Miller; 05-01-2018 at 01:47 PM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #74
Bob-A

Wink Re: Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

[QUOTE=Jim Brierley, I always wondered why 1932 was a single-style year for many cars?[/QUOTE]

1932 was the worst year of the depression and the least amount of cars ever
produced, save for WWII. Might be a couple of reasons why, Jim.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #75
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Also is gutless and my 34 ford eats it in a race.
I was following a '37 Chevy pickup to a car show in my '36 Ford pickup one day. Both vehicles stock.

I got real tired of following him at 45 and 50 so I blew around him no sweat. That Flattie was wanting to get out and stretch her legs.

I talked to him later at the car show and he was real miffed that I passed him!!
Old 05-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #76
George Miller

If it could only do 45-50 there some thing wrong with the truck. A 37 was a 216 they were good for at least 80.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #77
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Most cars of the day had 4 springs, and rode smoother than Fords. Chevy used only 3 mains until 1937, but were of about the same cubic inches as A's, and with power "putts" closer together than 4's, were easier on bearings. And yes, the '32 Chevy was a beautiful car, as were many others that year. I always wondered why 1932 was a single-style year for many cars?

I agree that across the board for antique cars, 1932 had more beauty than any other year. Lots of 1933 models continued a similar style, but then the nice sculpted look slowly went away, as most became rather bland is styling.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #78
Bob Bidonde

When it comes to the beauty of car bodies, Edsel Ford's creations have no equal. The 1932 thru 1940 Fords, excepting 1938, are the most gorgeous automobiles.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #79
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
When it comes to the beauty of car bodies, Edsel Ford's creations have no equal. The 1932 thru 1940 Fords, excepting 1938, are the most gorgeous automobiles.
Absolutely. The early V-8 Fords from the '30's are timeless in their beauty and I will agree, 1938 should be skipped over not that good of a looking car.

A three window Ford coupe from 1932-1936 can't be beat let alone a Roadster. And the pickups don't forget the pickups. I'm biased towards '35 and '36 Ford pickups and trucks they are real beauties with that 1934 Ford car grille look.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 AM   #80
pooch

A 32 chev may be a nice looking car.

The guy who designed the 36 chev should be given the title of the ugliest big 3 car ever.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote