Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
bobpo

Default Wiper Hose (metal or rubber)

I installed a rebuilt Trico Vacuum wiper on my '30 coupe and I ran a rubber vacuum hose from the passenger side of the windshield to the motor. The wiper runs "real slow".

I was wondering if I should have run a metal line from the passenger side to the motor..? Seems that I ordered and received a one some time ago.... Just never used it.

Could the rubber hose be partially collapsing with the Vacuum, thus causing the "slow wiper action"??
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
wildwilly

Default Re: Wiper Hose (metal or rubber)

I have the same issue with mine. I have metal line from the manifold that goes up to the window frame, then rubber hose. my metal line still orignal and kind of ruff shape. I was hoping that when I replace this line my wiper motor works faster.
wildwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
glenn in camino

RainX works better than any Model A wiper.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
glenn in camino

My Model A wipers all work, but I only run them at at start & idle judging. Get a bottle of RainX.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
mass A man

I would open up your wiper motor and investigate it's workings. I think this is where your problem lies. I highly doubt the engine vacuum is collapsing the rubber hose. The older the hose, the more brittle it becomes, hence it will not collapse but may crumble or slide off it's tubing. "rebuilt" seems to be a relative description these days. The lube someone put in the motor's "paddle" trough seems to have congealed. Clean it out and re lube it, you may see good results. Glenn in camino is right on with the "RainX"----It works great.

Last edited by mass A man; 12-13-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add-on remark
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
700rpm

If you do take it apart and clean it, I suggest you use petroleum jelly as the lubricant on the paddle. This has always worked well for me.

One time as an emergency repair I had to resort to Vicks VapoRub as a lube. That was about two years ago on my pickup, and it's still working fine.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Richard Wilson

You could check the vacuum at the intake manifold fitting and then again at the hose end where it attaches to the wiper to check for possible vacuum leakage before tearing the newly rebuilt wiper apart. Also might check rubber line to see if it is pinched.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
RonC

I wouldn’t take it apart if it was just rebuilt? Try this. Use 3 and 1 oil. The original Trico oil for maintaining wiper operation is similar to 3 and 1 oil. Hook a rubber tube up to the wiper and put the other end of the hose in some 3 and 1 oil (pour some in a small cup). Manually work the wiper blade back and forth (you can leave the motor attached to the car). This will cause the wiper to "suck" the oil though the rubber tube into the wiper. This is good wiper maintenance to do occasionally. Inside your motor is a leather rectangular "paddle" that swipes in a semi arc inside the half circle case. The oil helps to keep this paddle pliable which provides a better seal between the paddle and the case.

If that doesn’t work, check that you are getting enough vacuum with a vacuum gauge. A reading of at least 15 in. Hg or greater would be normal at idle. If all fails I would return it to the rebuilder prior to opening it up.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
bobpo

In response to the thoughts above, I have been using the Rain=X, works great.

Plus when I mentioned that the wiper motor had been "rebuilt", well it had been. Problem is, I don't know how many years ago. Coulda been 20+ years. It was still in the container when I bought the "restoration in progress" car with boxes and boxes of parts. Being new to the Model A stuff, I had no idea as to what all those parts were, but over about 1-1/2 years, I LEARNED............................

So, other than using Rain-X, I will try the other suggestions you fellas have made. I'll start with the one by RonC as it seems to be the quickest and easiest.

Thanks
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote