Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #81
Ronnie

Default Re: Engine seized 2 miles after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
Well, it's off a 1950's army truck, but similar to the original Ford units except firewall mounted. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.
To use that system as is with larger lines would not have any bypass system included which would not be a smart idea when you filter before the bearings.If the filter became plugged and did its job then you would suffer oil starvation not what you want.A compromise would be a spin on filter disguised inside which already exists and looks not too bad but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
My2¢

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #82
John R

I searched my files of the old Fordbarn and found a reference (several years old) to a fellow, Bryan Buckley ("49merc") in Powell River, British Columbia who made the Canadian-style fitting to convert to "full flow" oiling. His email is (was): [email protected] This info was posted by Fordbarner "Scotty." If someone follows up on this, let us know if its still available.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #83
Barlea

Bryan's plug with o-ring, illustrated further back in the thread, uses a fitting threaded into the horizontal port with a stem to bridge across the vertical passage without blocking it. It accomplishes the same thing as the fitting in the Ford Canada system which uses an extension tube from above to block the horizontal passage. Either work well on a Ford Canada block because the inboard vertical port was drilled and tapped at the factory. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #84
Ralph Moore

A lot of machining required, but a spin on, hidden in the cannister, would be a trick setup.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #85
Kahuna

Contact 36Tbird here. I think he's making those hidden ones
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #86
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
A lot of machining required, but a spin on, hidden in the cannister, would be a trick setup.
Here is one
http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/shop...duct_id=obholu

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #87
ajohn

Simply amazing!I had a similar experience with my 801 Powermaster Ford tractor.The starter drive gear came in three pieces and wedged the flywheel.Same simptoms,easy fix.
ajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #88
36tbird

Kahuna is my west coast rep for the Pigpen oil filter conversion. (Pigpen was my Navy fighter call sign.)

Anyway, I do have the goofy idea to try to make these but I have yet to test one. I have two almost ready to go with the engines to test on but many other projects are higher priority right now. If I ever get into it, it will have to be on an exchange basis because I do not have a very big supply of canisters.

They are labor intensive to build. To get a good cut on the bottom of the canisters, I first cut a hole big enough to put a boring bar with a cutter in it on my lathe. I tried to hand cut out bottoms of the canisters and they came out all jagged and uneven so that is why I use the lathe. You obviously have to cut from the inside out because of the mounting tabs which are treacherous when spinning around on the lathe.

I found some solid aluminum cylinders that I cut into about 1.25" slugs. I machine those for the oil filters to spin onto and fit into the canisters. Of course, they are drilled out the sides for the oil fittings.

Fitting all of the pieces together is sometimes tricky. In my short experience with trying this project, there seems to be a lot of disparity between the canisters, maybe due to wear and tear over the years.

I'll try to post pics soon of the prototype. Some may remember the engine I posted about where I did an old school home rebuild. I don't have a test stand or an available car around to put that engine in to start. I've come up with the idea that I am going to spin it with the plugs out using the starter to get the oil pressure up and lubricating. I modified that engine for the 95% filtration and put a gauge bunge on the back to block side of the filter. I figure that will tell me if the oil is going thru the filter OK. Stay tuned.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #89
Ralph Moore

Thanks Ronnie! Now that's a sweet setup. It doesn't say which filter it uses, and if it is available polished, but I gotta have one of those.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #90
Ralph Moore

I forgot to mention, I picked up another block yesterday, had one 8CM head, other missing, and someone took the crank out years ago(left pistons and rods). I thought I found a good Merc block. It didn't look too bad, but had been sitting outside for a long time. Well I was dissapointed when I pulled the one head and found massive rust in two cylinders. So much that when I flaked it off I discovered deep pits in the cylinder walls.
I think it's too far gone for sleeving, but it will at least let me practice drilling the hole and tapping for the full flow oil system.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #91
36tbird

Thought I better go out to take some pics to maintain some degree of credibility about my oil filter conversion. Right now I am making them for a Motorcraft FL-1A to fit and that is the bottom of one seen in the pictures. Tried to show an example of the slug that I turn to cut the groove in and how it fits in the canister. Again, I have not tested this yet but oil in should equal oil out. When I do my test, you can see the fitting I made where I am going to put in a direct reading oil pressure gauge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oilfilter1.jpg (55.9 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg oilfilter2.jpg (70.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg oilfilter3.jpg (64.5 KB, 235 views)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #92
42ford

Hi
Still looking for an answer to my previous post about my Canadian block. I ran the oil filter line from the boss with the 2 fittings on it. It runs from there to toe original type oil filter mounted on the front of the drivers side head. The return line runs fr4om the bottom of the filter housing to the fitting on the oil pan. The other hole has a plug in it.
I have about 400 miles on the engine now. Any suggestions?
thanks,
Dick
42ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #93
36tbird

42, went back and reviewed your posted question and at least as far as I am concerned, not sure what your question is. From what I can glean, it sounds like you have the stock oil filter set up and if that is so, your only concern would be to make sure you have the proper bypass fitting installed on the inlet side of the filter. Think of it this way, Ford put those filters on there as a marketing ploy, IMO and they are designed just to siphon off a little of the oil as it travels up from the pump to the the routing throughout the engine. It siphoned off some of the oil, filtered it and returned that oil to the sump. If you don't have that bypass fitting, too much oil will be taken through the filter and returned directly to the pan. Hope that helps. Others smarter than me can clarify more.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #94
Zeke...PA

Ralph, had the same problem with an 8BA block I purchased, this block cleaned up at 3 5/16, used Offenhauser pistons from Speedway, Zeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relieving 011.jpg (44.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg ebay 025.jpg (86.8 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Zeke...PA; 06-04-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Zeke...PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #95
52merc

a friend of minehas been running a oils system like that for a couple of years now exactly the same except his old cannister is chromed it works real well trev
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #96
42ford

Yes I have the restriction fitting installed. Yes you answered my question, thank you. I was worried that the block, when manufactured, was sold with out something like the grub plug. I did not think that was the case as I have good oil pressure and if the oil just went in and out, I would not have any oil pressure. As far as needing to filter more oil, I only drive about 1000 miles a year and change the oil every year.
42ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #97
GOSFAST

This turned out to be an interesting post.

I would add that it would be beneficial to maintain the I.D. of all the passageway's and not have any sections "undersize" for lack of a better word!

Some recommendatiuons here, if I'm reading correctly, would be to use rubber hose with clamps for retention!

You really don't want clamps & hoses exposed to 50#/60# oil pressure, much better choice to use "AN" type fittings if possible! They will NOT come off during operation!

Below is a closer shot of the mod showing the diameter of the I.D. on the "AN" type fittings! It maintains the integrity of the system.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's the closer shot of both 1/2" NPT adapters! The actual opening at the flare is approximately .400", enough to eliminate any restrictions, especially with any remote filter setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Oiling Mod-A.JPG (79.6 KB, 178 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #98
Mike in AZ

42ford...if you have been running your setup without any problems, i would say all is fine....you don't have a plug in the horizontal channel and your setup is per original....does your oil pressure rise when the engine is revved, etc??....i don't "think" you have any problems, so enjoy your car....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #99
41panelmark

So I have a question. I have a fresh engine with around 250 mile on it that uses the old style filter set up mounted to the driver's side head. Going down the road I have 60+ pounds according to the gauge on the dash. When I am at idle that reading goes way down to 10. I do not have a restricter in the line. The line comes out at the oil pressure switch and goes into the filter canister. From there it goes up to the front of the timing cover. Forgot to put the line on after a distributor adjustment one time. Pumped out almost the entire crankcase worth of oil in about 15 seconds.

If I put a restricter in the line will I be safe? Do I need one?
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #100
George/Maine

With the orginal filter i guess it feed to much and was slowed down and return to the lower plug to pan.My 8ba i didn,t put the filter back on pluged the lines and works fine.Today with computer someone says i filter 95% of my oil and now the word is out,boy i want to do that.Now lets see how many more motors will be burnt up.In the day 2000 mile oil change was good enought.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote