Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Benson

Default What is going on with tires these days?? Summer only tires ??

These tires were referenced in thread "Tire sizes again for 16"" (post # 19) for use on Model As

From Coker website:

These tires can not be used if temperature is below 20 F or they will crack and must be replaced!

Sounds like they have some defective tires and this is a way to get rid of them by calling them Summer tires!

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styl...row-tread.html

Quote ...

Coker Tire Company

PLEASE NOTE

Tire mounted on wheel for demonstration purposes only. Wheel and other accessories are not included.
Vredestein Sprint Classic | Narrow Tread
Size:
Quantity:
DESCRIPTION
SPECIFICATIONS
Vredestein Sprint Classic | Vredestein Sprint Classic Tires
The Sprint Classic Narrow Tread from Vredestein completes the look of your classic European car. Vredestein Sprint Classic tires feature stylish sidewall markings and classic European tread designs. Don't be fooled, this classic exterior still contains advanced tire technology. The high-quality design ensures that the ‘Sprint’ element in the name is fully justified, with many sizes of the Vredestein Sprint Classic carrying an excellent speed rating. Please note that dimensions listed tread width, section width and overall diameter are non-scientific and based on an inflated tire, mounted on a wheel. Dimensions may vary due to rim width and inflation pressure. Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle. Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Grand Touring Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Last edited by Benson; 12-24-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
37 Coupe

Default Re: What is going on with tires these days??

Last year I bought 6 new BF Goodrich tires that supposedly Coker reproduced for 18" wheel,a 1932 Plymouth I had. I picked the BF Goodrich over the Firestones because Coker spec sheet gave an overall dimension on the diameter that was smaller than the Firestones but still showed larger than the 45-50 year old Cokers on the car. After mounting they were probably even an inch or more larger than the specs given too me and would not fit into the fender well cavity inflated,great for a spare to have to fit underinflated. I used to buy from Universal but Coker owns them now.On my Model A I am going to try to get buy for awhile with the 50 year old Sears Allstates before I ever buy from Coker again.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Bob C

A friend has a Z06 corvette and you can't even roll the car if it's under 40 degrees
or the tires will crack.
See the link. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/03/...cracked-tires/
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

Weird. Sounds like they work fine, as long as you don't use them as tires.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
ronn

Quates anyone?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #6
1927Tudor

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Seems to be yet another example of poor construction and material cost cutting becoming the responsibility of the consumer.
1927Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Synchro909

If someone were to use the crappy tubes that we had a few years ago and those tyres, we'd see just how far things have improved over the past few decades! NOT
Old 12-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Oldbluoval

Seems to go along with all the other worthless s##t
That's being made today
Dumb it down to Asia and the consumer gets the shaft
Thank American (and other) greed for where we are!
And we stand for it!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Seems to go along with all the other worthless s##t
That's being made today
Dumb it down to Asia and the consumer gets the shaft
Thank American (and other) greed for where we are!
And we stand for it!
I think it's worse than that. We get the cheap $#!T because we (most of us) are too cheap to pay for the good stuff. A bit like the Governments we get - we bring it on ourselves. Canberra is our National Capital, like you Washington DC. You may interchange the names, if you see fit but I say "Canberra is a circus but it is the public who send the clowns.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I think it's worse than that. We get the cheap $#!T because we (most of us) are too cheap to pay for the good stuff. A bit like the Governments we get - we bring it on ourselves. Canberra is our National Capital, like you Washington DC. You may interchange the names, if you see fit but I say "Canberra is a circus but it is the public who send the clowns.
That is likely PART of the problem but the bigger issue, IMO, is that just because you pay more doesn't guarantee that you get better quality. If top quality could be ASSURED, I know for me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the expensive stuff.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Oldbluoval if I had said something close to that some would have called me out on it and said I was a 'racist' or something to that effect

In your opinion I do agree.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #12
Oldbluoval

Jeff, anytjing negative now gets a "racist" or hate tagged on it
Facts are facts. We all complaint about the government but business is now focused on the profit rather than a good product. Especially "big" business. Granted you cannot maintain/sustain a business without a profit.
Some "mom and pop" still strive for better
My background would add credence but we won't go there. I'm probably just old and cantankerous!!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

I agree it could be any/all of the above, but also perhaps alternately;

Would be interesting to get a response to these comments/questions from Coker/Vredestein. A little more detailed info on "advanced tire technology" and what this means/benefits. The description indicates they are a sprint/touring tire. I do not think Sprint/Touring typically occurs at colder temps.

Not much Model A demand for sprint/touring, but perhaps some narrowly focused demand for all classic cars warm weather touring/racing?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #14
noboD

I have used Vredesteins on VWs for years , liked them and never had any trouble. They are still available from major tire dealers like Tire Rack so I am sure Coker is not having them made. BUT in the Tire Rack description of their classic radials they do have the same 20 degree warning. It would be interesting to hear why this warning is being made. I will bet a lawyer had something to do with it.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
KR500

I wouldn't think that our federal DOT branch of the government would even let a piece of inferior s_ _ _ like that to be sold within our borders. Somebody must be paid to turn a blind eye to such garbage being sold here!
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote