Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
40cpe

Default Hard plastic spring bushings squeak

I have a Chassis Engineering front tube shock conversion kit. It came with the hard plastic bushings for the spring shackles. I installed the bushings with a light coat of grease on the pins and it was quiet for a while but now both sides are squeaking.

Is there a better plastic bushing that doesn't squeak, and who sells them? I can't go back to the OE type because the shackle is the lower shock mount and requires this type bushing. It takes a lot of effort to change these so I would like to put a good bushing in there and be done with it.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Hard plastic spring bushings squeak

Polyurethane bushings are famous for their ability to talk to you. The old rubber bushings were silent till you could hear them rattling from wear. If a person could get some Delrin or Nylon stock about the right dimension, they could be machined the rest of the way to fit. Materials stock like these are available from McMaster Carr in several forms. I can't guarantee it would be silent but it might be better if the ones you now have are polyurethane.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
ford38v8

Speedway has nylon shackles. No squeeks.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Marv

I can't say it will cure it but i would try graphite powder on them if i took the shocks off.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
flatheadfan

What I have been using for more than 20 years on my '35 without a problem or squeak is rubber bushings. This was an approved Ford repair.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford spring shackle-1.jpg (64.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Ford spring shackle-2.jpg (82.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Ford spring shackle-3.jpg (101.4 KB, 18 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Andy

Get some flanged oilite bronze bushings at a bearing supply shop. I replaced the plastic ones 23 years ago and the bronze ones are still great.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
What I have been using for more than 20 years on my '35 without a problem or squeak is rubber bushings. This was an approved Ford repair.

Tom
Tom, your kit looks like an old stock item, are rubber bushings still available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Get some flanged oilite bronze bushings at a bearing supply shop. I replaced the plastic ones 23 years ago and the bronze ones are still great.
While looking at Speedways nylon bushings I saw these bronze bushings. They don't say oilight but they might be.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search...hackle+bushing

Are there any negatives (other than cost) to the bronze bushings? There must be a reason they were not OEM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
TJ

There is a special grease for nylon bushings. Check the website for Energy Suspension. I believe they have it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Andy

Are there any negatives (other than cost) to the bronze bushings? There must be a reason they were not OEM.[/QUOTE]

Rubber is quieter and cheaper. I used to buy the oilite ones for a buck apiece. Probably a couple of bucks now. Just call and see what the local guys say. I am sure they are less than $4 apiece.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
BILLF/TRF

I am wondering if anyone has experience using both the rubber bushings and the nylon or poly bushings? Do the rubber bushings--especially when new, tend to give the car a "stiffer" ride compared to others? I have the rubber bushings and I have a very stiff suspension. Wondering if it could be due to the bushings?
BILLF/TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLF/TRF View Post
I am wondering if anyone has experience using both the rubber bushings and the nylon or poly bushings? Do the rubber bushings--especially when new, tend to give the car a "stiffer" ride compared to others? I have the rubber bushings and I have a very stiff suspension. Wondering if it could be due to the bushings?
Bill, I haven't used both, but I'd guess that one type of bushing would not be distinguishable from another based on the stiffness of the ride. Wgat yiou might see is more sway from one to another, but it's the springs and shocks that determine the stiffness of the ride.

I'd think a more likely cause of your stiff ride would be your houdaille shocks are froze up. Check them and have them rebuilt and you're good to go.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
flatheadfan

40cpe-

I don't know anyone specifically who is selling the rubber bushing kits. However, they frequently pop-up on ePay for about $10. As I recall, there wasn't anything different or special about the rubber composition and they were easy to install. Oh yes, I haven't experienced any unusual sway problems with their use.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote