Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
HalcyonDays

Default Car cover

Car cover or no car cover? I have a nice unheated garage to store my model a in for the winter. I have a car cover and am debating whether or not to use it. Pros: 1. it will keep dust off the car. Cons: 1.)question if it will trap moister in under the cover, 2. do not know if there are mice in the garage but if there are will it provide a better home for them to nest under? I am interested in hearing others thoughts on the subject.
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Car cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
Car cover or no car cover? I have a nice unheated garage to store my model a in for the winter. I have a car cover and am debating whether or not to use it. Pros: 1. it will keep dust off the car. Cons: 1.)question if it will trap moister in under the cover, 2. do not know if there are mice in the garage but if there are will it provide a better home for them to nest under? I am interested in hearing others thoughts on the subject.

I have a car cover but I never use it in the garage, only for the possibility of bad weather when out and about. It's unheated also. I keep the dust off with Swifters............When I dust in the house, Sarah is included in the garage.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I use INDOOR California car covers in my heated and a/c garage on both cars... It keeps the dust / pollen off plus adds a layer of protection if someone was to get near the car. I never use the dusters nor own one as they scratch the paint when rubbing the dust or pollen... I call them California car scratchers..there are proper ways to take care of dust etc on show paint work that I won't get into now. my cars are trailer queens so keep that in mind with your decision

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 11-08-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I have a large collection of cars and every car has a custom fit cover made by Covercraft. I would not store without it. Some have heat and air, some just heat and 6 with no heat or air. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
Rob Needs

I use a 12x12 decorators dust sheet and old duvets front and rear on my coupe.
Rob Needs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
Chris H

Mine is no trailer queen, by any stretch, but I do keep one of those light weight dust covers on it just to keep the dust and pollen off of it. I keep the car in a rented storage unit (for now, anyway), which is near a corn field. Without the cover the car is covered with dust and pollen, within a week, especially during harvest. It makes it a PIA when it comes time to take it out for a short drive, but well worth the effort.

For winter storage I have been placing small containers of moth balls under the car in hopes of chasing off the vermin. So far so good. I have not seen any evidence of any...yet! I have been storing the car this way for 5 years with no issues, but am open to suggestions.

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

" 2. do not know if there are mice in the garage but if there are will it provide a better home for them to nest under? "

This would imply that you haven't set out traps, right?

I keep mothballs in the car and throw some around the inside of the garage. The other day I put 2 mouse traps outside the garage door and caught 4 mice the first day, and 3 voles the next two days. In a few minutes I will set up my 5 gallon bucket mouse trap with drain oil.

For dust you could even use a couple old bed sheets from Goodwill, as long as it's indoors.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
huddy

I use a car bubble. Zips together top to bottom and inflates with a small fan. No mice, no pollen, no dirt. Protects from most bad stuff. About the same cost as a quality car cover.