Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Nickpohlaandp

Exclamation My "new" '27 Model T Sedan... what to do?

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Here we go!

So I picked up a great project. I was on the prowl for a sedan body to build a rat rod out of, and I ended up stumbling across this:

Now I'm very conflicted. I've done a few Google searches and it looks like this would bring around $13-14K in restored condition. It might not look like it from the picture, but this would be an easy resto. The entire car is there. The ONLY thing missing is the carburetor. The doors open and close smoothly, with no play in the handles, the windows roll up and down easily, the fenders have minor surface corrosion, but they aren't bent or dented at all, there's no bullet holes or rust holes, and when I flake the paint off there's clean steel underneath.

One part of my brain is telling me that this is a perfect car to chop 8" out of the roof, drop in a V8, channel it, and have a sweet street rod. The other part of my brain is telling me that this is a 90 year old, all original car. I know if I restored it to original condition, I would not keep it. If I cut, chop, and channel it, I will keep it. There lies my dilemma.
I'd love to get any input I can from some like minded guys/gals. I'm hoping to find them here. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Last edited by Nickpohlaandp; 12-12-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Nickpohlaandp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Bruce_MO

Default Re: My "new" '27 Model T Sedan... what to do?

I think that any old Ford that's in decent condition and is a relatively complete car should be RESTORED. There are enough random parts out there, including reproductions, that someone could make any kind of hotrod they want. But the nice complete cars are getting too hard to find.

I like hotrods and I really appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into most of them, but solid original Model T's are just not a good candidate in my opinion.

Lastly, If you'll just restore and flip it, maybe someone else would love to restore it. Most unrestored T's are so rough that it would be a really nice one for someone to do who enjoys the restoration process. And I'm guessing that your estimate of $13,000 to $14,000 might be a bit high for that car, unless you restore it very authentically.

But it's your car and I wish you well whatever you choose. Thanks for asking.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Nickpohlaandp

Well I certainly appreciate your advice. I was basing the $13-14k off of a quick Google search. By no means were those any kind of definite numbers, it took me all of 20 seconds to come up with them. I was just trying to get an idea of what one well restored would be worth. Honestly I was surprised. I thought they'd be worth more.

Well I see both of your points of view. I understand that it might not be the most desirable platform for some to do a hot rod project with, and I also understand that there are purists out there who would enjoy doing an all-original restoration. I happen to NOT be one of those purists. That being said, once I get it cleaned up a little bit I might post some pictures up around CL, FB Groups, this forum perhaps, and see if anyone has a hot rod project that they would like to trade for an original T. I'll leave it up for a month or so, see if I get any inquiries, and go from there. Maybe it's just what someone's been looking for. If not, I'll put it under the knife and just sell the parts that I don't use (fenders, engine, frame, etc.).

One way or another, I'm going to have my hot rod, but because this car is so complete, I have no qualms sitting on it for a while to see if anyone would want to trade something to save it from being hacked up.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
zzlegend

Me personally, would leave it or keep it stock. Whether restoring it or just making it road worthy and drivable. If you want a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dare I say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rat rod,,,,,,,,
Then look for just a bare body. Lately there have been a few 2 door sedan bodys on ebay. But its yours. Funny thing is that I am helping an old guy get his 2 door sedan running. He bought it sight unseen and it had engine problems. He got another short block so me and 2 other guys are trying to help him out. Just my 2 cents.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
Nickpohlaandp

Well, like I said, I'm going to post it up for about a month after I get a chance to clean it and get some good pictures of it. If I find someone who wants to trade, then I'll go that route. If not, keep me in mind, because I might be getting rid of some parts you might be needing.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
Steve Jelf

Sorry, I'm not like-minded. While I'm not a total purist, I do hate to see a good, complete car chopped up when there are lots of parts available for hot rod projects. I do think your estimate of possibly getting 13 or 14 grand for it is pretty optimistic. It would have to be a super-duper restoration to bring that kind of dough. There are so many Model T's that they often don't bring the prices people expect.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
Nickpohlaandp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jelf View Post
Sorry, I'm not like-minded. While I'm not a total purist, I do hate to see a good, complete car chopped up when there are lots of parts available for hot rod projects. I do think your estimate of possibly getting 13 or 14 grand for it is pretty optimistic. It would have to be a super-duper restoration to bring that kind of dough. There are so many Model T's that they often don't bring the prices people expect.
I understand that it'd have to be an immaculate restoration to bring that much. I'm not arguing that at all. It has been my childhood dream to have a chopped Sedan though, and this is what I found for a very fair price. That's also why I'm going to offer it up for trade on any other early Sedan body if someone has one already chopped or cut in any way. I'm going to give the car an opportunity to be restored, but not by me. Hopefully, once I get a chance to get it cleaned up and get a bunch of pictures, I'll post it up all over and I'll find someone to do a trade with. If not, it gets the chop. You gotta work with what you have.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
Detonator

Finding such a complete, solid car is pretty rare. It looks as if you live in a part of the country that's blessed with cool back roads, too. I'd clean her up, get her running and drive her as is, you may find she's more fun that you thought. You can build a heavily chopped and channeled rat sedan out of just about anything -- it doesn't even need to be a Ford. Down the road you may want to have BOTH cars.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Listen to fellow Hot Rodder Dentonator. Get it running and stopping and turn it into cash for your dream rod. The body is the only think you would use in a rod anyway.

http://www.rufusranch.com/abodies2.html
Old 12-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
Nickpohlaandp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Listen to fellow Hot Rodder Dentonator. Get it running and stopping and turn it into cash for your dream rod. The body is the only think you would use in a rod anyway.

http://www.rufusranch.com/abodies2.html
I appreciate the link, that's a sweet site. I did send them an email to see if they had a body that would fit my needs. The thing is, I'm not wanting JUST a body. I currently have a sedan with doors that open and close smoothly, latches that work with no slop, no rust holes or rot, no broken windows, and windows that roll up and down. I would gladly trade someone my sedan for a body that has those things. I could care less about the chassis or drivetrain, I'm going to build/repurpose all of that from newer stuff. Hopefully I'll find someone. I've got feelers out all over Facebook and CL, as well as a few forums. We'll see. For now it's just sitting in my shop idle and safe.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
Jack Innes

If you tidy the car up a bit & make it run you may, as stated before, find that a T is really a lot of fun & not much outlay. In any case running & together & no more would bring you the best return if you sell it.

If you want the rat rod body; here it is https://www.enginads.com/classifieds.../134979/cat/42

I know nothing about it or the seller but it has been listed for a while on a site that really does not get much exposure to car guys.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
41panelmark

Yup, clean it up and drive it or trade for what you want.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #13
Nickpohlaandp

Well I just got it home and in the shop. I took a lot of pictures. Now I guess I'll post it on some forums and see what turns up. The car really is cool. I couldn't figure out where the gearshift is though. Does anyone have a picture of where the gearshift should be? There's two levers on the steering column, like blinker arms, one on each side, but I have no idea how it's supposed to be. It's getting dark so I'm not gonna mess with it tonight, but I'll take a look tomorrow. The guy I bought it from called me and said he thinks he has a carburetor for it, so maybe I will get it running and see. Who knows?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
32 chevy vett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonator View Post
Finding such a complete, solid car is pretty rare. It looks as if you live in a part of the country that's blessed with cool back roads, too. I'd clean her up, get her running and drive her as is, you may find she's more fun that you thought. You can build a heavily chopped and channeled rat sedan out of just about anything -- it doesn't even need to be a Ford. Down the road you may want to have BOTH cars.
I built my first street rod in 1960 31 a with all corvette running gear. After the kids were gone I done aground up on a 24 t roadster had so much fun with it I done four more. I told my wife I think I will build a Street rod I found a 32 chevy roadster a lot of the parts. Over the next ten years I bought and made parts.
All corvette T.P.I. engine 700R4 corvette rear end this is a 65K+ car. Don't get me wrong I love that car. But the T is more fun.Like a hot rodder friend said after
driving my T this is the most fun you can have and still stay in the speed limit.
That said keep the T and look a little more for some thing you can cut up.
32 chevy vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
Nickpohlaandp

It might grow on me. I already can't stop looking at it.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #16
Nickpohlaandp

But how in the hell do you shift it? LOL, I have no clue what each lever does. The only thing I recognize is three pedals and a steering wheel.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #17
Jack Innes

The levers on the column are, left - the spark (sets timing) up to start - down to run. The right one is the accelerator up is idle.

The hand brake lever is rear wheel brake -on all the way back, half way up disengages the clutch & brake, all the way forward puts you in high gear.

Right pedal is the foot brake - acts on a band in the transmission

Center pedal is reverse - hand brake 1/2 way back -press the center pedal & you will back up.

Left pedal is low & high gear. full down is low, 1/2 way up is neural, all the way up is high gear.

What you have is a 2 speed automatic transmission only you do the work of all the servos & governors.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #18
Nickpohlaandp

How many gears are there? Does it have reverse? I know, before you say it, I need to get a book on it.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
Nickpohlaandp

I feel like a kid on Christmas, like I found a diamond in the rough.

Edit: I kind of am still a kid. I'm 37 and immature, I'll own that ��
Old 12-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #20
32 chevy vett

Don't fell bad friend when I got my first T like you I did not have a clue about any thing I just liked the looks of that little T. It just looked like fun. One of the Ts I done was a 1924
fordor like yours I planed on restoring it to sell. I thought it would be hot and stuffy was I
wrong open the windshield and all the windows it was the coolest of any of Ts I done I drove it for five years and sold it after I wished I didn't.
32 chevy vett is offline   Reply With Quote