Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Not George

Default Early 28 on auction site

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151201662556...84.m1436.l2649

I have no financial interest in this car, I just found in on E bay and thought it would be interesting to post.
It seems to be all there, he's asking $7000.00, WOW!
I recently realized mine was an early 28. Are they any more desirable than a later 28?
I had planned on doing some minor modifications to mine, but if they are that desirable I would not want to modify it, yet I can not afford a full on restoration.
Any comments, advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (55.0 KB, 82 views)
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
phat rat

Default Re: Early 28 on auction site

That's funny that he thinks a couple of add on medallions prove it was in Ca. in the 60's.
phat rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
28ACoupe

Not George - Leave it stock. You will probably have a lot of small projects that need to be done on the car that will keep you busy without doing a full restoration.

With the new "Rat rod" craze, our cars are getting more scarce and I, for one, hate to see a complete, or nearly so, car get butchered.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Not George

phat rat: Couldn't agree more!

28ACoupe; I understand all of the small projects to keep busy. That is how I discovered it was an early 28.
My concern is, is it rare enough that it deserves a full restoration, from someone with greater means than my own.
My plan was/is to get it running pretty much as it is and drive it ( I have had it running). Perhaps a down graft carb and header. But realizing it is an early car, clutch, brakes etc.... all become a little more expensive and harder to find.

Last edited by Not George; 01-05-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I really do not see this car being a value as it has had too many early parts removed and replaced with reproduction items, --or missing all together (such as shroud, ignition cable, starter switch, etc.). These are just the items that are noticeable. I suspect the rest of the running gear is the same.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not George View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151201662556...84.m1436.l2649

I have no financial interest in this car, I just found in on E bay and thought it would be interesting to post.
It seems to be all there, he's asking $7000.00, WOW!
I recently realized mine was an early 28. Are they any more desirable than a later 28?
I had planned on doing some minor modifications to mine, but if they are that desirable I would not want to modify it, yet I can not afford a full on restoration.
Any comments, advice?
Try to do some deeper research into your car, like date of manufacture, changeover dates, location of assembly, and what the unique features are of the early '28s, and determine how many of them are on your car. Start with your engine number. If it's four or five digits, be very cautious about changing things. If the original parts are restorable, restore them, don't replace them. It's cheaper and a better investment in the long run. Go slowly.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
28ACoupe

Yes, it is worth restoring. It will cost you somewhere between $10k and $20k to do the job from the ground up. However, there is nothing wrong with doing a "freshen up" which would cost a great deal less and not devalue the car.

I would not bother with the carb/header setup unless you are going to upgrade the rest of the engine system. There is only so much power to be had at 4.5:1 compression and if you upgrade those items, something more serious may, and probably will fail.

Don't get a case of hotroditus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not George View Post
phat rat: Couldn't agree more!

28ACoupe; I understand all of the small projects to keep busy. That is how I discovered it was an early 28.
My concern is, is it rare enough that it deserves a full restoration, from someone with greater means than my own.
My plan was/is to get it running pretty much as it is and drive it ( I have had it running). Perhaps a down graft carb and header. But realizing it is an early car, clutch, brakes etc.... all become a little more expensive and harder to find.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote