Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #41
Harry-Colledge

Default Re: Revising gear box

The slider gears that were in the gearbox previously slid on the main shaft way too easily, ie which suggested lost motion. With a new main shaft and new slider gears, the slider gears are a much better fit with no lost motion. When held vertically, they slide nice and gradually on the main shaft to test them, the slider gears moved nice and steadily.
I’ve since disassembled the shift tower and found two ball bearings and a fairly weak spring (ie that I can compress until it is closed between my index finger and thumb) between them has been used to engage with the detentes in the selector forks.
I have replaced this with the standard gear shifter plungers and spring. I have inserted a couple of very small washers inside the plungers to exert a slightly greater load on the detentes and am hoping this will help the car stay in gear. Having compared the two shift towers on the bench, with the set up I had, I could easily push the gear lever out of 3rd gear with one finger. Having made the changes above, the same action requires quite a lot more effort.
Harry-Colledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #42
Tom Endy

Default Re: Revising gear box

Attached article about jumping out of gear may be of help.

Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...ut-of-Gear.pdf
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)