Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
vintrex

Default New Gen learning from Old Gen

I was given information about Bob Drake for replacement parts. Does anyone know of any other warehouses or sites that offer replacement parts for a 1947 Ford Super or ford flathead V8?

Last edited by vintrex; 08-25-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: original question caused confusion....
vintrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: New Gen learning from Old Gen

Best is often subjective. What is best for one person may not be best for another. Then there is best price, best turnaround time, etc. That is a lot of what the Barn is about, if you read the post on different topics you will soon see what the various inputs are on different suppliers and service providers. It also changes over time, a good shock builder is no longer doing them, Joblet parts is no longer there, and so on.

Last edited by JSeery; 08-24-2018 at 08:04 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:35 AM   #3
Brian

Agree with above post...vintrex, you've got 36 posts...still feeling your way around [I do not mean this as an insult!!]. When you've been on here a while, you'll get to hear certain names cropping up at very regular intervals in very positive posts...these are the guys to deal with; charlieny, uncle max, bubba, flathead ted, pete, barnfind, to name a few, but there is many more....
If you need a specific service, simply ask....there is a wealth of very knowledgeable individuals on here who will share their experience freely with you. You'll also learn of places to avoid....
Old 08-25-2018, 01:40 AM   #4
Brian

Vintrex, Utilise the 'swap meet' portion of the barn also, I have had immense help from barn members by simply posting on there. I'm in New Zealand, and through the fordbarn I have received assistance globally. We're like a worldwide car club.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
38coop

You can also attend local car shows in your area and ask some of the folks who the best shops and mechanics are for working on classic cars.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
vintrex

Thanks

Last edited by vintrex; 08-25-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Thread apparently wasnt clear
Old 08-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Vintrex, what you are asking would take a thread about the size of the current Barn! That is what a large percentage of the Barn is. Another great source is the HAMB. On both forums you can search about any product or supplier you would be interested in. And if you don't find it, post the question.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
rotorwrench

When you bring up the subject of chrome plating, it is going to be hard to determine where the best shops are for the cost of the work. It might be better to do a search for folks that do this specialized service and then post a question if anyone on the board has had experience with them. The plating industry has to meet a lot of serious regulations about there heavy metal solution storage, use, and disposal. It drives the cost up. Some shops grind all the old chrome off and some reverse plate and carefully remove the residual plating that doesn't come off during the process. These two practices are very different. Grinding can remove more material if the grinder gets carried away. Reverse platers general charge more for their process but it can be better for the part keeping minimal loss of base material.

Some platers specialize in zinc die castings and they charge a lot due to the repair work that has to be done and the difficulty of removing old chrome from the parts without damaging them. Be ready to spend a lot no matter whom you choose to work with. It's nice if they are within driving distance so you can go talk to them but it may not be possible if there are no shops within a reasonable distance.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Darrell S

If you do a Google search of vintage Ford parts you will come up with quite a few. There are lots of comments on these suppliers throughout this site.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
vintrex

Thanks will do. So far found Bob Drakes....
Old 08-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
B-O-B

do a search like this :vintage 1947/48 ford parts suppliers plenty to keep you busy .
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Also need to keep in mind that no one supplier is the best source for every part. Quality, fit, function, etc varies from part to part even with the same vender.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #13
vintrex

Yes sir, in a way you just made my point, a list of reputable parts warehouses would give the new car owner insta resources. I know up until know many different posts may contain the same info but that list can't be that long. Even if it were a basic list to start from.

But, I also understand that there is a lot of valuable info in each individual post as well. If I could delete the thread I would but I haven't found a way. I personally see both sides and the benefits.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #14
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintrex View Post
Yes sir, in a way you just made my point, a list of reputable parts warehouses would give the new car owner insta resources. I know up until know many different posts may contain the same info but that list can't be that long. Even if it were a basic list to start from.

But, I also understand that there is a lot of valuable info in each individual post as well. If I could delete the thread I would but I haven't found a way. I personally see both sides and the benefits.

Ya I don't think you need to delete, no question is wrong. Its a real question that is, as jseery said, addressed by individual issues. You are welcome here and ask away without worry. More stock/not/car info on the issue the better. Lots of knowledgeable guys here, ready to help with your ford issues. Sometimes the best suited/quality/fair price is subject to different vendors.

Tackle it, one issue at a time.Vendors change, I've seen in the last 20yrs some great resources go away one way or the other.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-25-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

I try very hard to help the younger people keep their old Ford running. Unfortunately, It can get very expensive, and the old saying, " you learn by experience" cost too much. There are also many parts of these old cars that dont need to be fixed or replaced, if your only interested in a daily driver. I understand the need to "Restore the vehicle, but just what are you going to do with it? The fun part is just driving around in a 30's or 40's car or truck. Park anyplace. amd not worry about the fact that it might rain. Don't get me wrong, I respect the people that do this, but. not everybody can afford it. I recommend Replacing the running gear. This improves reliability and safety . Might even improve economy. So I might be from the old Gen, but I like to see more of them on the road.
Take care and "Keep em runnin".
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #16
Tinker

Amen Ron, but for me and a growing newbie interest, without replacing the drivetrain, (you could put a s10 frame and drivetrain under a late 30s truck). They can also be experienced with much joy just as they were/are, with maintenance. maybe why Trog has grown so quickly.

Very respectfully to you Ron as I know you are very knowledgeable and have read and appreciate your book. as you said, it depends on what you want out of it. If I had a crystal ball.

I'm sure its more fun to drop 50K on a new mustang then 9k on a good stock model A ford. Even if in 10 yrs from now, the new but 10 yr old average mustang might be worth the same as a stock model A ford... 10 yrs from now.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-26-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
mrtexas

I'd say Dennis Carpenter(limited supply but flat rate shipping of $10 or $15) and C&G in California. Macs has a lot but usually poor quality, poor service and high shipping costs. The first two are my favorites and the last one my least favorite. There are many FordBarn members who do one part like distributors and carbs. I haven't used them but they get pretty good reviews from memberd. Then there is the gorilla in the room, ebay. If you can't find it anywhere else fleabay has it. The want adds here on FB are also a very good source for used original parts.

Last edited by mrtexas; 08-26-2018 at 11:27 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #18
vintrex

Thanks for all the replies and the info. I just went to the "new posts"section and from there went to purchase three books on working and rebuilding the ford flathead. I am now in search of a General manual on the vehicle itself. I have been on vacation so I have been able to enjoy reading and posting at length everyday. Might be on hiatus after this for awhile. Before we left I was able to complete reg and was mailed the title so it comes off the trailer this week. I can't reiterate what a blessing it is to have you all as a knowlege base. Ive looked at a few backgrounds and the number of cars some of you guys have and would love to see em. Have a great week!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintrex View Post
Thanks will do. So far found Bob Drakes....
I have never ordered from Drakes.. Dennis Carpenter, C&G Ford, Early Ford Store, and Macs are some places I've obtained parts.. Since my car has a flathead SIX, my engine parts are harder to come by.. Early Ford Store has been invaluable during my initial rehab of my car. I got many engine & transmission parts from George in Montana on the for sale portion of the fordbarn..

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #20
john in illinois

One vendor that has very good quality parts is Mac Van Pelt. His web site has a lot of information and he will offer good advice. You need to contact him by phone to order.

http://vanpeltsales.com/

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote