Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: New to the Forum and 1931 Closed cab pickup

Even if your P/U is a "Bitsa", you'll get just as much enjoyment out of it as any other - maybe more because you needn't baby it. Get it going and DRIVE.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #22
henry's 31

Welcome to the Forum. Very nice Model A. The Wide bed and Budd cab are more rare than the Narrow Bed. I agree with the above about the Judging Standard. It lets you keep your vehicle as close to what Henry Ford built. Enjoy your "A".
Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #23
grantsauder

Hi: See my avatar .....It's a late 31 wide bed steel top Pickup. I bought it in
2012 for my 80th. birthday. It has no interior other than seats so the body can be photoed for your interest if needed. I made the racks myself out of white ash and did a drawing of the them. Email me if I can be of any help. Grant

E-mail [email protected]
grantsauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #24
jm29henry

Rare truck i am sure you are going to love it . Remember to bring spark all the way up so you don't break the new spring when you get it installed. Jack Bahm has a great video on starting instructions on you tube they may help you best of luck to you
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #25
jm29henry

Looking at this truck finally on Friday after work hopefully it's as nice as I think it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (85.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #26
jm29henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It's ,a 1931 bud bodied steel top with indented fire wall built Late August 1931 what do,you think a fair price should be? If it is nice
Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #27
Mainiac96

Wow jm29henry.. that is beautiful! Really nice piece of history. It looks like it has a rear bumper? If so, how is it attached? I would like to have one on mine eventually. I'm really new to these vehicles so I am at a loss as to what it would be worth. I did some looking around on the internet the day before I bought mine to reassure myself I wasn't doing something crazy. I always have a rough idea of what it's worth to me and what use I will get out of it when buying special interest vehicles. I've learned that my labor fixing them up can only pay for the beer and the electricity to play the music but it's all part of the fun! Mike in Maine
Mainiac96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #28
Mainiac96

must be the one Keith... too much coincidence not to be. What were the clues that made you think it was "put together"? Did you notice the patch in the right fender where the spare was? That was done years ago. If so it is the one. I'm not curious enough to yank the body off to find the number on the frame to see if they match. Maybe someday if I decide to restore it. I took the seats out yesterday and they really appear to be the original upholstery and still in pretty good shape. Tire tools and some wrenches in there but no jack. I'm hoping to get the bendix spring soon so I can fire it up and do some more evaluation. By the way, any idea what color the cab sheet metal would be painted inside on a red truck? It's kind of an old off white now. The floor and seat box are the red but the back of the cab and roof are whitish with lots of old phone numbers written in pencil. Did these come with a headliner? No sign of one in this.. The last registered owner was a guy in Mt. Vernon during the 80's and early 90's. Mike
Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #29
SSsssteamer

Mike, The model A trucks did not come with a head liner. In your Budd steel roof cab, the inside of the roof, both steel top bows, and the rest of the inside exposed metal body parts were painted the same color as the outside body color. When I restored our 1931 Budd steel roofed A pick up, the interior color was of a 1931 late in the year "gull grey" color. "Gull grey" could be the same color that your 1931 came from the factory with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 Ford PU small file.jpg (77.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by SSsssteamer; 01-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #30
Mainiac96

I'm stylin! Starter with new bendix spring installed and it fired right up and runs like a champ. Found some more history on it dating back to the 60's. It appears the truck was all black originally. The cabs staying red for now..
Old 01-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #31
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainiac96 View Post
I'm stylin! Starter with new bendix spring installed and it fired right up and runs like a champ. Found some more history on it dating back to the 60's. It appears the truck was all black originally. The cabs staying red for now..
Nice comparison because my Champ runs great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studebaker at Anoka State Hospital.jpg (75.8 KB, 12 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #32
Mainiac96

Small world because the old teacher I had that first put the bug in my mind that I wanted a Model A truck by driving his back in the 60's had a dark green 51 Champ sitting right beside it in the barn that he had also bought new... suicide doors if I remember right? He had a 58 Caddy also sitting in there owned from new. Like to know where they all went...
Mike