Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #41
TJ

Default Re: Looking For A 15" Modern Radial Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I've had excellent service and prices from "TireRack.com". On the off chance that there is a problem, getting it corrected is a little more complicated, but I've never beed disappointed.
Not only is it more complicated it is also more expensive. Paying a local shop to mount and balance the tire, you will pay to dismount it if there is a problem and possibly pay shipping back to Tire Rack. You will also pay to mount and balance the new tire if it is replaced. Why not give your local shop the business and they will stand behind the tire if there is a problem.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #42
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Not only is it more complicated it is also more expensive. Paying a local shop to mount and balance the tire, you will pay to dismount it if there is a problem and possibly pay shipping back to Tire Rack. You will also pay to mount and balance the new tire if it is replaced. Why not give your local shop the business and they will stand behind the tire if there is a problem.
I have my own tire machine, which helps a lot. This day and age, if you do any amount of tire work at all, using the local tire shop (whose main job is selling tires, not mounting them for walk-ins), can be quite expensive and very time consuming. Trust me, unless you have some special relationship, your job is going to be last in line and you will be charged for everything they can think of; shop supplies, disposal charges, overpriced valve stems, etc.

On my daily drivers, I figure I save several hundred dollars per set doing my own work. In addition, I know the job is done right, especially where any special wheels and/or tires are involved.

Last edited by tubman; 02-28-2019 at 02:02 PM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #43
leon bee

^^Same here, (to some extent). I don't have much Harbor freight stuff, but do have one of their tire mounting rigs. Can be a real workout, but I treasure the ability to do that kind of thing myself. These days, the wife's car goes to the tire store and not much else.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #44
Black Fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I don't know how close to original mine look but I like the P235-70R15 Cooper Discoverers I have on my 52 Merc on stock wheels. I know they are fatter than original but its the look I want for the car. From the side I don't think it is much different from the 7.10x15s bias plies my dad used to run on it in the 1960s.

No rubbing issues, Ralph?
Black Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #45
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Fifty View Post
No rubbing issues, Ralph?
I've noticed if I crank the steering wheel to the limit there will be bit of tire rub on the frame but not enough to worry me.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #46
nbrskn

the new modern balancers do a way better job than the old styles
nbrskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:30 AM   #47
1oldtimer

I've used 215 on 5" wide wheels without crowning, but I would say no wider. I would look for some type of commercial tire as regular 75 series car tires look too balloony to me, the sidewall bulges too much.

I prefer the square look of bias or as close as you can come with radials.

Last edited by 1oldtimer; 03-04-2019 at 02:46 AM.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #48
deuce_roadster

During the 1980s at a swap meet there was a guy that demolished gas stations that had a trailer with 10 air operated tire machines. I bought a pretty new one for $80 still works today as good as it did back then. Probably the best $80 I ever spent at a swap meet, for a Coats 10-10 machine with air inflate ring. Plus I get to see all my friends at the beginning of winter when they want to mount their snow tires and then spring when it is time to take them off! I gave away my manual tire equipment. In all these years the only thing I have purchased for this are plastic items for working on aluminum wheels. Have since picked up an older Weaver spin balancer so I only use the local tire stores for my 2015 F150. I usually try to keep as much of my $ in the local area.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote