Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #21
Ruth

Default Re: New to the Forum- With a Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I agree with every point in this assessment.

If the timing was right a year ago it is unlikely it has changed, but I don't know if that holds true with a non-stock FSI. I would also suspect the condenser, with the same reservation about the FSI.
FYI, nothing to wear out on a FSI so timing should never change, also no condenser.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #22
davecon6

Well, took the car for a spin today, same issues. I confirmed the gas cap is venting through the two holes, and even left it very loose for good measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Confirm your timing. Make sure your plugs are not black and fuzzy. Fouled.
Pleasee see attached photos of the plugs. They are laying out 4,3,2,1 left to right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Does the manifold seem to get excessively hot? Wrong timing procedure will allow it to run pretty decent at low RPM but not when pulling. Also the manifold will get really hot. Just a thought.
I'm not sure what "excessively hot" means. It is certainly hot, but I'm not sure if it is TOO hot. It isn't looking burnt or charred at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Many "fuel" problems are really ignition problems. Check it thoroughly including the ground side clear to the battery.
Grounds all LOOK okay, but I will take each wire off and confirm later this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
FYI, nothing to wear out on a FSI so timing should never change, also no condenser.
This is how I understand it as well, no condenser. I may attempt to check the timing after all.

Also, please see the photo of the fuel supply at the carb. I do not belive it is too far into the carb because the ferrule is right at the end of the tubing. Can you guys confirm this?

Thank you all again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4321.jpg (65.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 43.jpg (57.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (57.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1379.jpg (29.5 KB, 31 views)
davecon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #23
denniskliesen

Always run a screen somewhere from your tank to the carburetor. I would advise have a screen that fits in the tank valve. Remove your valve and get one of the screens from any of the vendors that sell Model A parts. Next remove your gas line from the sediment bowl and the carburetor. Look at where the ferrule is from the end of the tube. It shouldn't be more than 3/32" from the edge of the ferrule to the end of the tube. If your fuel line is in too far in either the sediment bowl or the carburetor it will restrict the flow of gas to your carburetor.

I didn't see page 2 so go back up and remove your spark arrestor screen and with a flashlight look down in your tank looking just forward and to the passenger side of the vehicle. Look for signs of rust or other restrictions. I'd get a container with the gas line at the carburetor and open the valve. Check the flow letting it run continuously for as long as possible, the longer the better into an empty 5 gallon container. I've seen objects float around in a tank until it passes over the valve. Ask me how I know finding sunflower seeds in one once.

Last edited by denniskliesen; 12-03-2017 at 03:05 PM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Confirm your timing. Make sure your plugs are not black and fuzzy. Fouled.
Like JacksonIll says, it does not have to be off by much to give you your symptoms. Only move the timing lever down until you notice no increase in the speed on the engine. Too much is not good.