Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
joshhirst13

Default New to Ford Barn & Ive Got A Couple Questions

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this Forum so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Josh & I just purchase a sweet little 1931 4 door Sedan a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be very original & it runs & drives. It's been a blast driving it around a getting a ton of head turns & thumbs up. I look forward to talking with everyone as I know you guys are all very knowledgeable about this stuff & im very new to model A's. Here are a couple of pictures of my car.

Here's my questions.
I have had a few issues with stuff plugging up the fuel valve at the bottom of the tank, in turn starving the car of fuel & causing it to stall out. I've had to unscrew the valve on the side of the road & poke the hole to free it of debris. Aside from that it's running great. I do have a couple of questions though.
1. Anybody know of an easy way to clean the tank without removing the whole thing?
2. I need to replace the top & I haven't been able to find any instructions on how to replace the type of top I have. I know a lot of guys just weld in a metal top, but I'd like to keep mine how it is so I don't have to paint the car. I like how the old paint looks. As always. Any info would help.
Thanks
Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7016.JPG (64.1 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7025.JPG (69.9 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7084.jpg (84.9 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7213.jpg (84.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7217.jpg (78.3 KB, 181 views)
joshhirst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: New to Ford Barn & Ive Got A Couple Questions

Welcome and congratulations,

Let's get to the meat,
Quote:
1. Anybody know of an easy way to clean the tank without removing the whole thing?
Remove the valve, and allow several gallons of the solvent of your choice to flow through the tank. Close valve, place solvent in tank, shake car, remove valve to drain. Filter the rust and repeat several times.

The last time place a filter in the valve and reinstall the valve. This is the filter to use;

Gas Tank Screen for Fuel Shut Off

Next
Quote:
. I need to replace the top & I haven't been able to find any instructions on how to replace the type of top I have.
They are all basically the same;

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/roofinstall-1.htm
Old 04-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

What books do you have to be able to service and optimally drive the car?

May I suggest;

1. Les Andrews red book
2. Reprint of the instruction manual
3. Large size service bulletin reprint
4. Restoration guidelines and judging standards

And there are a ton of others but these are my top 4 to start.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
larrys40

Excellent suggestions from Mike. I might add that although you don't want to remove the tank the reality is that rust is in the tank which is probably almost a given on the top of the tank down. So any draining and flushing is short term at best.

The only thorough solution is to remove for a thorough cleaning and then seal.
Yes, it's a job and a task but will be ultimately necessary for a good clean fuel supply.
I have done short term fixes but they all ultimately need to be done, so you might as well do so sooner than later

Mikes suggestions are good . The service bulletins have a wealth of information of the details of the a mechanically and the background behind running changes. We are blessed in the Model A world to have so much excellent printed information. Read and take in as much as you can
All the best and welcome to ownership of your A.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
larrys40

Josh
I might add that you post where you are located geographically so maybe someone in an A group nearby might be a source for you.
Marc and Mafca have many chapters and regions with wonderfully helpful members.
Get in touch with a local group if there is ind nearby
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #6
1930-Pickup

Hi Josh, and welcome.
Great job posting photos right from the start!
The sedan looks great, you've got a good one there.
Have fun
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:20 AM   #7
Big hammer

Congrats and wecome! Nice looking model A �� Catalogs are another source of good free information, I use Berts, Brattons, Synders. All good advice above! There are no dumb questions period
Now for that Junk plugging up the valve, rust or the dreaded tank coating?
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #8
aermotor

I was apprehensive about replacing my top but found it to be an easy job and would never recommend a metal top. Most all suppliers have top kits and the wood bows are available if needed. I believe that Tom Endy has an article about how to do it. Maybe someone can link you to the site.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
1930artdeco

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the club! You have a very nice looking early 31 sedan. Is it a Townsedan by chance? The dome light would be over the rear window and it may/may not have a center armrest in the back seat. How is the wood in the body and doors?

I will give a shameless plug for my club's videos. Go to MFACA and you can order a video from the Diablo A's about replacing the top on a sedan. It doesn't look hard just very time consuming.

Mike
Old 04-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
Jim M

1930artdeco - Did you mean MAFCA?? I just checked their site and didn't see anything about replacing tops.

Josh - are you talking about a roadster convertible top or something else?
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Hi Josh.....nice sedan....wish I could help you with those questions, I'm not a mechanic. If you had asked me about Grit, whitewalls or oil.....I could give you some first hand opinions.

BTW...welcome to the Barn.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

I like them Fordors and it appears you have a nice Briggs Town Sedan (Rear seat arm rests and cowl lights, etc.) Also appears you have California Plates? Please don't install a steel top.

There have been gas tank flushing threads in the past with some excellent suggestions from Tom W. and among others.

Welcome to 'The Barn'.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
jg61hawk

Read about using vinegar. It is cheap but kind of slow to work, which is actually good. You can fill the tank with it for dollars.

Whatever you do DO NOT EVER USE A VACUUM TO DO ANYTHING INVOLVING GASOLINE. NEW GUYS HAVE BLOWN THEMSELVES, HOUSES AND OTHERS TO DEATH. THAT'S NOT AN EXAGERATION.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #14
Ed

If you do a web search for Diablo Model A Club you will find the website for their club. On the left side of their web site page you will see "tech videos". Click on this icon and you will see a video,for replacing the top,of a 31Slant Windshield Top Replacement. This will not be exactly like yours, since yours is not a slant windshield Model A. However it will be a great help in replacing the top on your Model A.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
Tom Endy

The secret of properly installing a new top it to get it stretched tight. The attached photo shows an installation in progress on a 30 town sedan. The owner built a wooden frame out of 2x4's and tacked the material to it. The frame was made larger than the top of the car. It was then set out in the sun all day (July, Southern California) Every hour of so the material was pulled tight and re-secured.

The frame and top material was then set down over the top of the car and tacked into place The weight of the wooden frame held it in the stretched position as it was tacked into place. Then the wooden frame was removed for the finish tacking. The top came out very nice.

A word on caution on a town sedan. The wire for the dome light is located on the right side above the door post. We managed to drive a nail right through it and it blew the fuse. Fortunately the car did not have an interior headliner at the time and we were able to locate the fault and correct it.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bryan Model A top.jpg (60.2 KB, 112 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
Brentwood Bob

Your pictures look to be lower central valley of California. I would recommend you locate the local model a club and attend a meeting. I also would think members would then be able to guide you on the top, and the fuel/tank issues.
By getting an experienced pair of eyes and some Guidance you can learn and avoid some of the mistakes we all have made.
If you give out a location where you are I am sure a local club member will contact you in short order.
Bob

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 04-09-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #17
1930artdeco

Hi Jim,

Sorry yes I did mean MAFCA, sometimes I think faster than I type. If you go there and go to the store and scroll down to the DVD section there is one for a 31 Murry fordor.

Tom-That is a clever idea and I may borrow it when I do my top way, way, way, way in the future.

Mike
Old 04-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
iverson

Josh Mike"s tip of the filter that goes into the shut off valve sure fixed my problem I had to stop every few miles and blow back thru the line after putting in the pencil fifter no more problems yesterday I took it out to see how it looked and it was clean as new. but I did drain out a little water and some rust from the bottom of tank. I think with that filter your problems will be over no need to take off the tank. nice car!
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #19
mhsprecher

Is that an original top, or an old replacement?
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #20
Ian in Mississauga

Josh, congratulations on your acquisition. Think of fordbarn as a great collection of friends. I would recommend you consider installing a "dirty leg" before you use the filter. Do a search on fordbarn for good descriptions.
Best of luck, Ian
Ian in Mississauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:24 AM   #21
joshhirst13

Hey guys. Sorry for the late response. I've been busy with my the family. I'll try to answer as many questions as I can remember.
I live in Chino, CA
I bought it in Taft, CA about 2.5 hours north of me.
Yes. It is a Briggs with the center armrest & rear dome light
I believe it has the original top & im probably going to be trying to install a new top myself very soon. I called an upholstery shop & they want $1000 to install a new top. WTF????
I looked up the "dirty leg" & looks like a good idea. I drove it all over town today with no problems. I will be getting the valve filter as well.
I've got a couple other question
-if I do install the top myself what is the best material to use & where to get it from?
-How do you remove the metal frame around the top that holds the top down or covers the seams???
-It also seems to be struggling in 2nd & 3rd gear. Could I be low on tranny fluid? I haven't checked that, but will be before I drive it again.
I also noticed today that it has a glass pack but the rear tail pipe is just sitting inside the glass pack almost to the point of falling out. The tail pipe diameter is about 1/2" too small for the glass pack. I'll have to get this taken care of too. Could this be causing the sluggishness in 2nd & 3rd because there's no back psi. I don't know anything about this stuff.
Once again. Thanks for all of your knowledge & help.
Thanks
Josh
Old 04-11-2017, 02:29 AM   #22
joshhirst13

Here's some pucs of the interior with the armrest, dome light, & roof showing the brackets U don't know how to remove. Plus a couple more pics of my car. Who doesn't like pictures.
Thanks
Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7214.jpg (83.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7031.JPG (34.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7032.JPG (44.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7035.jpg (36.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7028.JPG (99.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7030.JPG (46.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7021.JPG (60.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:34 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhirst13 View Post
I've got a couple other question
-if I do install the top myself what is the best material to use & where to get it from?

Just about any of the Model A parts vendors will have the top kit for your town sedan.

-How do you remove the metal frame around the top that holds the top down or covers the seams???

They are nailed in and the top bent over to cover the nails. Different body styles have different moldings. The vendor's catalogs have the different types along with the Restoration Guidline book I suggested earlier.

-It also seems to be struggling in 2nd & 3rd gear. Could I be low on tranny fluid? I haven't checked that, but will be before I drive it again.

I'm going to guess your timing is off. How are you using the spark lever on the left side of the steering column?

I also noticed today that it has a glass pack but the rear tail pipe is just sitting inside the glass pack almost to the point of falling out. The tail pipe diameter is about 1/2" too small for the glass pack. I'll have to get this taken care of too. Could this be causing the sluggishness in 2nd & 3rd because there's no back psi. I don't know anything about this stuff.

Look up Aries Mufflers and get one from them.
This is from the Restoration Guidelines book;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof moulding.jpg (159.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 04-11-2017 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Added chart
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #24
1930artdeco

Josh be careful with the top moldings.They are aluminum and flimsy but make sure you keep them. Also the interior has been redone at some point-no big deal. BUT, keep those shades after you replace them. Those are original and you are luck to have them. I think once you replace the muffler, retime and lube and clean the fuel system you should have a great running car.

Mike
Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #25
jfreddie

The pencil screen and a good sediment bowl work very well to keep the fuel clean.

I don't use aftermarket inline filters because it's hard to tell when they're full.

When you do your top try to save the guttering and reuse on the new top. Fits better than any of the aftermarket, especially the rear piece.

Otherwise, the top is only as good as the underlayment. Make sure there's nothing sticking up from underneath...especially the roof seam over the door posts. It all shows in the end.

Cheers
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #26
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I wouldnt recommend driving your car around without at least checking all the major fluid levels, and servicing them would be best...

We had more than one newbie incident of a dry rear or trans..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #27
Brentwood Bob

See entry #15. You could hook up with them and get some help. Sweet car. Someone took great care of it.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #28
Pmsqrd

What a sweet 31 Fordor. Remember they are only original once and this on sure looks great just the way it sits. I saw it on CL a couple weeks ago and hoped someone would save it as it is. Hope you do. Hard to beat the look of a black Model A with black wheels and black walls. Especially an original one. Great find. Good luck.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #29
Bob C

Have you contacted the Pomona Valley Model A Club?

Pomona Valley
P.O. Box 1457
Upland CA 91785-1457. meetings 1st Monday, 7:00 PM,
Round Table Pizza, Ontario. Ed Tolman 909-597-1503

They had a website but it seems to be down.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #30
SteveB31

Here is a great link on how to install the top.

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/roofinstall-1.htm

Steve Becker
Bert's Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #31
joshhirst13

I'll have to contact the Pomona Valley Model A club. Their meetings are only 2 exits down the freeway from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #32
joshhirst13

I looked at the link you sent for directions on installing a new top. I'm a little confused because that top goes all the way to the drip rails. Mine is just a round cut out in the roof. Do the moldings on mine function the same way as the ones in the article. The don't really explain the moldings. Do they snap on and off? I'm confused?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #33
joshhirst13

I don't want to ruin the original moldings.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #34
1930artdeco

If I remember right the base drip rail is screwed and nailed down then the other half snaps on. Sounds like a Tudor top you looked at. They should all go on roughly the same way.

Mike