Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
mhsprecher

Default Leg room 29 CCPU

There have been a few threads that address this in part, but I thought I would ask the question directly.

I am 6'2" 205 lbs. The sense I get is that the CCPU is cramped quarters inside. Of course, no Model A has much room, but I gather that the CCPU may be worse than many other body styles. Other threads have mentioned difficulties getting in the driver's door because of the spare tire.

I know the real answer is finding one to try out, but until I can do that, I thought I would post my inquiry here.

Thanks,
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Wello

Default Re: Leg room 29 CCPU

I too am 'big boned' and driving my 29 CCPU is always an adventure. Once you get your entry/exit technique refined it's not too bad. Driving is a bit cramped. Not the best vehicle for extended touring but a blast to drive around town.

Dan
Wello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
wrndln

Being 6' 4", I have an even harder time fitting in model A's in general. Open cars and pickups are the tightest. People back in the day must have been quite a bit smaller than now-a-days. The only thing I can think of is to have Snyder's make a custom seat back that is about 2" thinner. This will help a little, but I am sure the cab will still be a tight fit for a large or tall person. I did this (had Snyder's make a thinner seatback spring) for my 28 special coupe along with moving the bottom seat brackets back about 1 1/2" and moving the wood package tray behind the front tray flange. This gave me about 3 1/2" more leg room, but still wasn't as much as I need. Snyder's charged $25 more than the standard set of seatback spring they sell for the 2" thinner springs. I already bought a 2" thinner seatback set of springs for my 29 CCPU I will use when I get to the upholstery.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
...Of course, no Model A has much room...
Try a Tudor sedan. If you turn the seat mounts around 180 degrees, it's sorta like sitting in a sports car.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
mhsprecher

I already have two, a Town Sedan and a roadster. Oddly enough, I am more comfortable in the roadster, but I do drive it with the top down mostly, so getting in and out is not a contortion like it is in the sedan.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
HoarseWhisperer

5' 9" 170lbs makes driving the 28' CCPU ok although it forces you to sit up straight (not necessarily a bad thing).

I can slouch in the 31' Roadster (not necessarily a good thing).

I really have to scoot down to reach the starter switch.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
pgerhardt

I have a 29 tudor with the special seat brackets that push the seat way back. But at 6' 1" I STILL had a problem! My knee was still trapped under the steering wheel when going from the brake to gas while in first gear. The problem was that in first gear the shift lever (which was leaning a little toward the driver's side) was so close to the steering wheel that my knee had no place to go and was trapped. Moving the seat back did not solve this. A little manual persuasion easily bent the shift lever so it now leans slightly toward the passenger side. Problem solved!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
There have been a few threads that address this in part, but I thought I would ask the question directly.

I am 6'2" 205 lbs. The sense I get is that the CCPU is cramped quarters inside. Of course, no Model A has much room, but I gather that the CCPU may be worse than many other body styles. Other threads have mentioned difficulties getting in the driver's door because of the spare tire.

I know the real answer is finding one to try out, but until I can do that, I thought I would post my inquiry here.

Thanks,
I have sat behind the wheel of several model A's (not driving, just sitting) and ridden shotgun in 2 29 trucks. Even as a passenger i feel a bit cramped in the cabs but you can get used to it.

your about my height and im a bit heavier and i always find it tricky to get in and out. I find my knees stuck against the door post and back to the seat if i enter wrong.

Altho im used to "cozy" places as i fit rather comfortably in a chevette....once you get your shoes off...(hit the brakes hard and you inadvertantly hit the gas too lol)
Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Ian Curtis

I'm 6', 200 lbs. My '29 CC PU is just about at my limit for comfortable long term driving. On long trips I get out every hour and stretch, and boy does that feel like a million bucks. Another thing worth noting is on the '29 CC PU the visor is really, really long and you can't see traffic lights without ducking down by the steering wheel or sticking your head out the window.

6'2" is probably right at the limit, you've really got to give it a go to decide if it is comfortable for you. I went on a 2 hour trip with a friend whose 6'10"... he fit in the passenger seat without much complaint, but he definitely couldn't have driven it!
Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
freak

I'm 6-2 200 and fit in my town sedan very nice. Someone moved the seat back about 3 to 4 inches before I bought it! They did a nice job at it though and I'm very glad they did it.
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #11
denis4x4

Check out my avatar.....6-1/2" cab corner extensions make this a rare super cab pickup
Old 05-01-2015, 04:59 AM   #12
Ed Saniewski

The spare tire on the driver side may also hamper your entry and exit from the cab. The door dose not open very far.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #13
theHIGHLANDER

I had a 29 CCPU, now I have a 31 CCPU. Both are quite "snug" with the stock cushion in place. I'm 6' 2", 245 and have a back condition. With the rear back rest cushion completely removed the cramped quarters are much improved. My plan is to build a flat back rest cushion out of plywood with 2" of dense foam for support, cover that with the old cover material. With the cushion gone the reach to the wheel and shift lever feels more normal to me. The 29 was almost too far in relation to the rest with the cushion removed. Leg room is what it is just like any A, but the height from lower seat cushion down seems higher than others (makes sense since it's a truck) which is nice for us lanky bastids.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
The spare tire on the driver side may also hamper your entry and exit from the cab. The door dose not open very far.
Hey Ed, were you able to pry yourself out of the cab?

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
Brobrian

Smile Re: Leg room 29 CCPU

I'm 6.'2" and 250. I drive a 31 ccpu. As all the guys have said, it's tight but not uncomfortable. There are solutions. The thinner backrest and lower seat are the two most likely to add comfort. Being tall, rather than fat, my issue is not entry
/ exit but visibility while driving. I've run many lights and been beeped at for missing green lights because the signals are too high for my field of vision while seated in the cab. Also I find myself leaning various ways to get a better view of the road ahead while driving. All this sounds negative, but I hardly notice I'm doing it most days. Can't be too tough, as I've not been motivated to do anything about it, and I drive my truck daily.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #16
trax

On my 29 ccpu I replaced the back seat springs with plywood and 1" foam and just wrapped the seat cover around the back of the plywood.
My bottom seat frame was rusted out so I built a new one and raised the back of the bottom seat springs level with the front. The combination of the 2 modifications gave me a lot more leg room.
trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #17
newshirt

When you're 5' 11" legroom is no problem. (Just so future readers know.)

Plus, I'm just so thrilled to be driving a CCPU that I don't even notice the creature comforts. I love my rattley little truck!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #18
theHIGHLANDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
When you're 5' 11" legroom is no problem. (Just so future readers know.)

Plus, I'm just so thrilled to be driving a CCPU that I don't even notice the creature comforts. I love my rattley little truck!
Replace the door rubbers and tighten all the wood screws you can get to. If you like it now you'll love it after addressing those things. The doors bounce really bad on the pickup trucks.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #19
Ed Saniewski

Hey Hoarse, that's a great picture, Thanks.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #20
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I get in the passenger side and that solves most of the problem. I was able to get a great buy on a pickup because the owner who was about six foot two or three actually put his back out trying to get in. If you are thinking of buying one try if out first.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote