Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
STAN WHITE

Default 34 ford steering box

I had my 34 steering box rebuilt by a reputable, builder, unfortunately it leaks from the gasket on top were the column attaches. looks like a cork gasket. I was told that i was filling it to high. After I was told to lower the level I found that I would need to lower it approx. 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches, this would allow liquid to be below the bottom of gasket. which is were it is leaking from. I think there is something wrong with this picture. Any help would be appreciated. I filled it to just below threaded area for fill plug. Thanks Stan
STAN WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 34 ford steering box

Put John Deer corn head grease in it. Won't leak.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
cas3

that gasket is not cork, its a stack of paper to set the preload on the bearings. not the usual place they leak. and yes, the level at the bottom threads is still higher than the back side of the gasket stack. to fix it right it would have to come apart again (the top anyway) or a different fluid like cornhead grease, or stp
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
STAN WHITE

Cas 3, Thanks for your reply. I thought it was cork my mistake I pulled the top plate off & found three paper gaskets. They measured a total of .045, Thought I would buy a gasket set and add .010 Plus sealer on the top & bottom gaskets. I used 140 weight no leaks right away it started leaking soon after. Car is not running just started putting it back together.I HAVE THE CORNHEAD GREASE AFTER LEARNING ABOUT IT . i PLAN ON USING IT THIS TIME. WHAT DO YOU THINK. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. Stan
Old 06-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Why did you add the .010 to the gaskets?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:35 AM   #6
STAN WHITE

jseery, have not done it yet. it was just a thought. I might just replace the gaskets with the same total thickness. maybe add gasket mtrl to box& plate on top. Also use the cornhead grease. Thanks. Stan
Old 06-25-2020, 12:38 AM   #7
cas3

stan, jseery is correct, do not add any more gaskets to the stack. you say it was done by a competent rebuilder, so unless you want to tear it down to recheck the bearing fit, you must assume the 045 to be correct. setting the preload on the steering shaft bearings is the first step in an overhaul, so its done without the sector shaft in place so you can "feel" the play in the bearings of the steering shaft alone. have you got the steering wheel and column tube pulled off to replace gaskets?

Last edited by cas3; 06-25-2020 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
Terry,OH

Do not use any more gaskets that the .045 you removed and take the steel cover and make sure its gasket surface is flat. If possible look and repair any raised surfaces in the gasket surface of the casting, especially around the bolt holes. The oil level should be just under the fill plug but that should not take the level too high.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
jimvette59

Are you sure it's the gaskets and not the tube that the horn wire goes through. I found one loose and leaking I had to braze it back together.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
STAN WHITE

Thanks to everyone with the help. I am going to replace the same thickness of gaskets that i removed. I will cut them on the top between the two mounting holes to allow installation. plus will add a minor amount of gasket {Permatex} for a good seal. Then I will use the Cornhead grease. I will fill it just a 1/4" below the last thread on filler hole, hope it works! Thanks again for your help. Stan