Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #21
Bob C

Default Re: value of car

How come the rear brake levers are upside down

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #22
ronn

I agree with Railcar- 15-18k sounds about right

And I've got both a dog and a cat. And the cat always bites me.

You have one smart cat Jeff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #23
CarlLaFong

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
It is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it!
This is a common statement that appears on every board that I post on. It is, usually, from someone that has no idea but wants to join in the conversation. Let's say I want to pay fifty bucks for it. Is that what it's worth?? Conversely, let's say I pay 85K for it. Is that what it's worth?? Hell no, I over payed by 6 or 7 times the value. Model "A"s sell every day. It isn't hard to determine a fair value. All these old cars have an agreed upon value within the community. Guys who buy and sell for a living can tell you what nearly any car is worth based upon condition and demand
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #24
Railcarmover
BANNED

Personally I don't care where the market is for cars,I like model A's for far different reasons than an investment.That being said,the estate executors are driving a good part of the market,a lot of heirs don't want grampa's car, they want the money. The love of the car is hard to impart,the stories are fading about when it was on the road. Im my opinion if the prices go down its a good thing,it costs less for me to have what i want..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #25
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLaFong View Post
This is a common statement that appears on every board that I post on. It is, usually, from someone that has no idea but wants to join in the conversation. Let's say I want to pay fifty bucks for it. Is that what it's worth?? Conversely, let's say I pay 85K for it. Is that what it's worth?? Hell no, I over payed by 6 or 7 times the value. Model "A"s sell every day. It isn't hard to determine a fair value. All these old cars have an agreed upon value within the community. Guys who buy and sell for a living can tell you what nearly any car is worth based upon condition and demand
"It's worth what someone is willing to pay" is an accurate and valid statement to the question "what is this worth". If YOU paid $85K, then THAT is what it was worth TO YOU. If YOU would only pay $50, then THAT is what it is worth to you. This is NOT the same as the question, "what is this typically worth" in which $85K is not typical. The best place to find out what something is actually worth is a well advertised auction. There, it is guaranteed to go for the highest price anyone thinks it's worth. Not to be confused with poorly advertised auctions where interested parties may not be aware of it and not be bidding.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #26
wingski

I’l try again to explain how I feel about selling my cabriolet.

I’ve had to work and save all my life to get where I am now. Now, life is just too short to hassle with making money or loosing money. I am honest to a fault and have always been a usee instead of a user if that makes any sense. I don’t like to use the word hate, however, I would hate to ever have someone think that I took advantage of them.

The price these cars are getting drives me nuts. The prices have been driven so high that the people who should have an old car to work on and learn from them can’t because they can’t afford ‘em. When was the last time you saw a young person in their teens or twenties driving a model A, and you knew they’d done all the work on that car?

So, that is why I don’t want money to change hands when I do whatever I do with my cabriolet. I would love to find a twenty-five year old who fell in love with my cabriolet and just had to have it. I’m pretty sure we could work something out.

Hey, I’m an idealist and always have been,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #27
CarlLaFong

Cool Re: value of car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
"It's worth what someone is willing to pay" is an accurate and valid statement to the question "what is this worth". If YOU paid $85K, then THAT is what it was worth TO YOU. If YOU would only pay $50, then THAT is what it is worth to you. This is NOT the same as the question, "what is this typically worth" in which $85K is not typical. The best place to find out what something is actually worth is a well advertised auction. There, it is guaranteed to go for the highest price anyone thinks it's worth. Not to be confused with poorly advertised auctions where interested parties may not be aware of it and not be bidding.
What I am saying is that cabriolet has an established value. The amount stated, earlier, is, probably, fairly accurate. Auctions can be a barometer for actual value, but not necessarily. I have seen many items, purchased at auctions, for far less that they should have sold for. Maybe no one showed up for the auction or it was an auction for farm equipment, but there happened to be a valuable antique piece of furniture tossed into the mix. eBay, I think, gives a good representation of actual, real world value. All of the, online, for sale sites are a bit optimistic in their pricing. Craigslist is a crap shoot. I have never seen so many, perfectly restored $6000. Model "A"s in on place
Old 12-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #28
Jeff/Illinois

A price at auction is only good for that day, that time, and that place. It is not a true barometer of 'value' We all know that!

Old Cars Weekly puts out their yearly Collector Car Price Guide and they analyze auction prices, asking prices, actual sold prices, as an average for the entire USA. They seem to be about the closest to what the old cars are actually, probably, worth. NADA Classic Cars is bonkers I'd sell everything I have at what they say they are worth. I wouldn't pay those prices. Go to the library and thumb thru their copy if they have it. Or buy one not too expensive, you can recoup 20 bucks real fast in dealing with this info at your disposal.

My 2017 copy puts your car about here:

1930 Cabriolet #2 condition $24,000
1930 Cabriolet #3 condition $15,500

1929 Cabriolet #2 condition $24,000
1929 Cabriolet #3 condition $15,500 even money

#4 condition in this model and year drops the price to $6900

#2 condition--fine well restored shows minimal wear needs little work
#3 condition--good operable older restoration showing need for work
#4 condition--usable 'as is' older worn down restoration shows a lot of wear

To be reasonable, few cars are #1 Mint condition these are cars that roll out of Brent Terry's shop with a total professional restoration, 500 point cars, most Model A's don't meet that requirement only in a 'seller's' mind
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #29
Marshall V. Daut

Replace that aftermarket front radius ball mounting cr*p with the correct, authentic style and the front end won't shimmy when you hit a bump. If it hasn't started shimmying yet, with that rubber ball mounting design, IT WILL!!!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #30
slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

NADA Classic Cars is bonkers I'd sell everything I have at what they say they are worth. I wouldn't pay those prices.
I certainly agree with Jeff. 5 years ago I was searching for another Bronco II, I talked with several sellers asking crazy prices. Their excuse was "That's the NADA price" usually 3 x 4 times market. My response, sell it to NADA. Bottom line, it takes a willing buyer and a willing seller to establish a price on anything.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #31
JJASON

There is always somebody that wants you to give your nice Model A away,price wise then flip it over
JJASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #32
Marshall V. Daut

Good research, Jeff! This should prove to be quite helpful to "Wingski" in establishing a reasonable value and selling price range for his car.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
I certainly agree with Jeff. 5 years ago I was searching for another Bronco II, I talked with several sellers asking crazy prices. Their excuse was "That's the NADA price" usually 3 x 4 times market. My response, sell it to NADA. Bottom line, it takes a willing buyer and a willing seller to establish a price on anything.
'66-'72 Broncos and the Bronco II's are hot vehicles today! Neat little rides. Look the early Broncos over V-E-R-Y carefully if they are from the salt road states they were prone to rusting out very badly. I worked in a Ford garage in the mid -70's while going to school and I recall them coming in literally rotted completely away. They had poor body integrity about the worst model of Fords built in that era for body rot.

I have a brother-in-law who is a car guy and lives in So. Calif. and he tells me that when a NICE example of an early Bronco OR the Bronco II shows up at Pomona, Long Beach, or the Doughnut Derelicts up on Adams in Huntington beach people go wild,,, they are highly sought after. That and any model Chevy-Ford-Dodge pickup from any year Pre-War and Post War through the late 80's. Everybody loves an old truck today it seems
Old 01-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #34
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
It is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it!
Quote:

The rest of the statement is "and whatever the seller wants to accept for it." Yes, there are guideline values based on other sales and adjusted for rarity, body style, condition, etc. They may be a good starting point. But individual transactions also are influenced by how badly the buyer wants the car and how badly the seller wants to sell it. If they don't agree, no sale. So yeah, bottom line, any specific car is worth whatever the buyer will pay and the seller will accept.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #35
CarlLaFong

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
The rest of the statement is "and whatever the seller wants to accept for it." Yes, there are guideline values based on other sales and adjusted for rarity, body style, condition, etc. They may be a good starting point. But individual transactions also are influenced by how badly the buyer wants the car and how badly the seller wants to sell it. If they don't agree, no sale. So yeah, bottom line, any specific car is worth whatever the buyer will pay and the seller will accept.
My argument is, these sorts of statements and these sorts of hypothetical transactions represent a micro view. They do not represent value in a macro sense. Two clowns may agree that a J Duesenberg is worth 25 bucks and money and title changes hands. Is the rest of the old car community going to sit back and say, "Well, that is what it was worth."? I kinda doubt it. Everyone will say, "Are you kidding me!!! That car is worth, at least, 750K!!!" That is your, real world, value or, at least, a good starting point.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #36
CHuDWah

Quote:
My argument is, these sorts of statements and these sorts of hypothetical transactions represent a micro view. They do not represent value in a macro sense. Two clowns may agree that a J Duesenberg is worth 25 bucks and money and title changes hands. Is the rest of the old car community going to sit back and say, "Well, that is what it was worth."? I kinda doubt it. Everyone will say, "Are you kidding me!!! That car is worth, at least, 750K!!!" That is your, real world, value or, at least, a good starting point.

Yes, it is a micro view. That's why I said the statement applies to a specific sale. Take the not-so-hypothetical case of somebody who knows nothing, and cares less, about Dad's Model A. They inherit it and sell it for several thousand less than the "real world" value just to be rid of it - in that case, whatever price the buyer and seller agree on is what the car is worth to them. I doubt anyone is going to buy or sell a J Duesenberg for $25 - heck, I'll even kick in an extra $10 for a SJ! But I get your point and I agree with you as far as setting what I call the guideline values. However, there are lots of Model A sales, so ridiculously high or low prices won't skew the average as much as they would with Duesys. Anyway, the guidelines are a good starting point and assuming both buyer and seller are knowledgeable, the sale price should end up somewhere in the vicinity of the guideline. But I maintain that buyer and seller motivation can influence a specific sale.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #37
larrys40

I agree with Marshall and Bob.. I saw the brake levers upside down and Bob beat me to it... There are some mechanical issues with it... even if you think it drives OK... and with the non original paint color it hurts the value for someone wanting an "original" paint scheme car. I think the 15-K neighborhood is fairly reasonable for it. ( with hood sides, etc in tact). It may be less, may be more if you can get it.

It will take about a couple of grand to straighten out some stuff on it.
I would really pick a top notch '29 Tudor out there as there are lots of them and you don't want to give fair money and have to do a ton of work.

In my opinion If there's one you are looking at I would have someone very knowledgeable to look at it before purchase.
Thanks,

Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #38
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
#2 condition--fine well restored shows minimal wear needs little work
#3 condition--good operable older restoration showing need for work
#4 condition--usable 'as is' older worn down restoration shows a lot of wear
It's interesting that Original/Survivor cars are not mentioned in this definition, nor are they part of the 'value' conversation. Yet it is this very class that is one of the fastest growing in popularity and value.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #39
Jeff/Illinois

True, 1930pickup, you are right.

There was a survivor 1928 Oval Window Coupe (?) in Davenport, Iowa that Norm Miller had in his collection, I was told a 16,000 mile all original car that some little school teacher bought new, and the car lived it's entire life in Davenport. I never saw the car just heard-tell of it. Norm's estate sold the car upon his death.

That would have been a neat little Model A to own. Wherever it went to, I hope the new owners are leaving it alone the car was in very very good shape from what I heard.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #40
wingski

This whole value of car thing has gotten completely out of control. All I know is that I’ve driven cars that were forced to the side of the road by someone who just had to have what I was driving and wouldn’t take “No, it’s not for sale” for an answer. Amost every time, I relented and sold that car for what I considered to be a rediculous amount. Every time this has happened, I regretted selling the car after it was gone. People who knew how much I had gotten were astounded by the fact that I wasn’t happy as a clam because of the money in my pocket. They just couldn’t understand that to me those cars and that money were really not compatible.

All I’m saying is that my ’29 cabriolet only has one value to me, and that is its ability to trade for another car that is priceless to me. I know that eventually I’ll find someone who has a neat tudor and feels the same way I do. That will result in two people trading something they love for something to love. It really doesn’t have a whole lot to do with any amount of money.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote