Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
sconnors

Default 1930's Tunes in the Model A!

Finally got some tunes in the Model A pickup. Downloaded the album Top Hits of the 1930's to my iPod shuffle, went to Target and picked up a cheap rechargeable speaker for $20. Got some Velcro and now I've got 1930's tunes as I cruise down the road!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30's.jpg (5.6 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (42.2 KB, 194 views)
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
John Butts in CT

Default Re: 1930's Tunes in the Model A!

I have the same sort of speaker. It's great, cheap,and plenty loud enough. I have hours and hours of '20's and '30's music on MP3. I enjoy cranking it up at the bank drive-in window.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
SDJason

Thanks for the tip - I'll have to take a peek at that album.

Here's what I've been using to playback tunes in the car (via an iPod shuffle hooked up to a $13.45 Wally World FM transmitter)

Last edited by SDJason; 08-20-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: changed link to the picture - original link broke for some reason
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Skeezixx

I don't think even Rudy Valee sitting in my rumble seat with his megaphone inserted through the rear flap of the top could be heard over all the squeaks. rattles, and wind noise of my roadster.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
I don't think even Rudy Valee sitting in my rumble seat with his megaphone inserted through the rear flap of the top could be heard over all the squeaks. rattles, and wind noise of my roadster.
in all seriousness I am glad to know that this is how other owners describe riding in their roadster.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
Thanks for the tip - I'll have to take a peek at that album.

Here's what I've been using to playback tunes in the car (via an iPod shuffle hooked up to a $13.45 Wally World FM transmitter)

It's a great album!! Has 130 Songs from the 1930's! Over 8 hours of music! It's weird having music in the Model A but I love it!!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
marc hildebrant

When I owned my 1933 Chev., I used a tape recorder to play 1920's music in the car (1970's).

The correct music for the time period really adds to the fun of driving the old cars.

Currently, I'm restoring old music from the 1900's to the 1940's using software from a company called Diamond Cut Productions. If you go to their web site, you can download mp3 songs from the 1920's.

Some of their music is from my work...so it has to be good !

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Skeezixx

I play 20's music from Pandora through a computer in my garage while working on the Model A. I find it puts me "In The Mood."
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Whatever cranks your tractor. I'll stick with Do Wop. I'm listening to Sirius XM 50s on 5 right now
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
bobbycoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors View Post
Finally got some tunes in the Model A pickup. Downloaded the album Top Hits of the 1930's to my iPod shuffle, went to Target and picked up a cheap rechargeable speaker for $20. Got some Velcro and now I've got 1930's tunes as I cruise down the road!!
Where can you get the album Hits of the 30's to download????
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
KGBnut

I bought and downloaded that same album from Amazon. More than 40 songs for nine bucks... Not a bad deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
I play 20's music from Pandora through a computer in my garage while working on the Model A. I find it puts me "In The Mood."

I play "Radio Dismuke" in my garage while working out there for the same reason.

Popular music and jazz from 1925 to 1935.

http://radiodismuke.com/

I prefer the LoudCity feed. It's free.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycoke View Post
Where can you get the album Hits of the 30's to download????
I purchased it from iTunes, but if you do a Google search they have it on Amazon too

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Hits-The-1...f+the+1930%27s
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Mike in NRN IN

Smile Re: 1930's Tunes in the Model A!

I know it's not as robust as an iPod - but - it gets a lot of attention.

I have a mobile, wireless device that stores nicely in my rear trunk. Unfortunately, I am only able to play one song before I have to manually reset.

I picked up a Birch Portable Phonograph from Goodwill ($25) and after a cleaning ($40) it works like a champ. . .

I have picked up stacks of old 78 rpm records (10 to 15 cents per record) and needles by the hundred count.

I recently had attended a pre-WWII vintage car show and had the portable, wireless device resting on the trunk.

Each time I played a record, the crowds would gather - and I had more kids (under 15) filming the player with their smart phones. They asked all kinds of questions about how records work, how the crank worked, why needles needed to be changed each time, where the speakers were, how the sound came out, where the volume controls were, etc. etc. etc. This would then lead to the question about the car, the engine, the horn, the rumble seat, the rims, the spokes, the etc. etc. etc.

I talked to:
  • A published historian - and did he have stories to tell!
  • Three WWII veterans, including a couple who married right before D Day, while I was playing a 'Glenn Miller Medley' record.
  • A spirited man who performed with the Glenn Miller Orchestra (and later in the day brought back his picture to prove it!)
  • A torch song singer - she recently graduated from college and was lining up gigs throughout the midwest.
  • A history teacher who wanted to know if I could come talk to his students about the record player and my car.
  • but the best were the young kids who actually stopped and took time to talk about the record player.
It's not an iPod, but it's a great conversation starter. It made people stop, look, listen and wait; things we just don't seem to have time for anymore.

Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NRN IN View Post
I know it's not as robust as an iPod - but - it gets a lot of attention.

I have a mobile, wireless device that stores nicely in my rear trunk. Unfortunately, I am only able to play one song before I have to manually reset.

I picked up a Birch Portable Phonograph from Goodwill ($25) and after a cleaning ($40) it works like a champ. . .

I have picked up stacks of old 78 rpm records (10 to 15 cents per record) and needles by the hundred count.

I recently had attended a pre-WWII vintage car show and had the portable, wireless device resting on the trunk.

Each time I played a record, the crowds would gather - and I had more kids (under 15) filming the player with their smart phones. They asked all kinds of questions about how records work, how the crank worked, why needles needed to be changed each time, where the speakers were, how the sound came out, where the volume controls were, etc. etc. etc. This would then lead to the question about the car, the engine, the horn, the rumble seat, the rims, the spokes, the etc. etc. etc.

I talked to:
  • A published historian - and did he have stories to tell!
  • Three WWII veterans, including a couple who married right before D Day, while I was playing a 'Glenn Miller Medley' record.
  • A spirited man who performed with the Glenn Miller Orchestra (and later in the day brought back his picture to prove it!)
  • A torch song singer - she recently graduated from college and was lining up gigs throughout the midwest.
  • A history teacher who wanted to know if I could come talk to his students about the record player and my car.
  • but the best were the young kids who actually stopped and took time to talk about the record player.
It's not an iPod, but it's a great conversation starter. It made people stop, look, listen and wait; things we just don't seem to have time for anymore.

That is way cooler than an iPod!! I love it!! Brings back memories!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
gilitos

Recordings played on an acoustic phonograph (no electronics in the signal path) are very, very special. Can raise the hairs on the back of your neck. No closer connection to the original performance.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
John Butts in CT

There's a great Victrola museum in Delaware.

http://history.delaware.gov/museums/jvm/jvm_main.shtml

And give this a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7SV65DFNy8

There's an Auxetophone at the Johnson Museum; it'll blow you right out of the room.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote