Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2022, 01:50 AM   #201
GB SISSON

Default Re: Winter without a project?

So strange... I had a long conversation with the client on the phone this morning and I suggested this exact same thing, Two outlets on the kitchen side. There is a chase there that can place them outboard, near the legs. I also didn't want the electrician to cut the holes. Some are good at it, others not so much. To get back to my truck thread it's 10:38 pm and I just came in from the unheated shop and looked at the outside thermometer and it is 35 degrees. The garage doors are wide open because they always are. My wife is on the mainland visiting her sister. This afternoon I made a brakelight/tail light from a model T housing I found and some new double pole guts I bought a few years ago. I had a good glass lens, but no retainer wire spring. I made one from a gallon paint can wire handle (good stuff). Then I went to town for dinner and a couple beers, came home and wired it up through the old switch I threaded onto the new master cylinder and after a while I had a nice bright 12 v brake light. Now I can sleep in peace, knowing folks behind me will know I am applying my brakes when I finally take this thing out to the county road. I also installed my '47 WA license plate on the rear bumper. I have yet to apply this plate to a YOM registration, but gotta be soon!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #202
sugarmaker

Gary,
You had a very productive day on the truck lighting system! I love to make something out of nothing, or bring something back from the edge! Having good strong lights was very important to me on my dump truck. Yea I broke all the rules, but I want to be safe, as I do plan to drive it like you too.
Thanks for the update! We may hit 40 degrees F today??
Yesterday I was glad my shop doors were closed temp was in the teens with a west wind of 40 mph!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:27 AM   #203
GB SISSON

We finished up our regular work we scheduled for today in the woodshop by 3:00, so my son and I hoisted the bed off the truck and then we moved the woodie to another shed and now the tonner is parked alongside it's bed which is on about 16" of blocks. I started cutting out rust and made some patches but about 9:00 pm I caved in because it was about 26 degrees at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OG 1.jpg (150.1 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg OG 2.jpg (136.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg OG 3.jpg (149.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg OG 4.jpg (144.6 KB, 202 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-24-2022, 02:28 AM   #204
Tinker

Nice garage! Also want those rear tires! haha. nice
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #205
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
We finished up our regular work we scheduled for today in the woodshop by 3:00, so my son and I hoisted the bed off the truck and then we moved the woodie to another shed and now the tonner is parked alongside it's bed which is on about 16" of blocks. I started cutting out rust and made some patches but about 9:00 pm I caved in because it was about 26 degrees at the time.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #206
sugarmaker

Gary,
Your making way more progress than I. The truck and bed look good. Weather is too cold at 26!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-24-2022, 08:54 PM   #207
GB SISSON

Today after work I came up to the house at 4 and stoked the fire, fed the animals and laid on the couch and read my book with the sunlight coming over my shoulder and my feet facing the wood stove. I need to learn to savor my projects because the warm spring days are right around the corner and I will need something to wrench on out in front of the shop. Turns out a bit of afternoon book readin' is really nice too! And Pete, the pictures are so much easier to enjoy when you use your magic to blow them up!
Old 02-24-2022, 09:14 PM   #208
cas3

Yup, 26 is too cold, relax by the wood stove, thats what I'm doin too
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:00 PM   #209
GB SISSON

So over the weekend I got my exhaust system installed. A friend of mine owns a great auto repair shop here with a setup for mufflers/exhaust and he bent me up a tailpipe. I got that in yesterday and today I bent up my rear brake lines, removed all the rusty ones and got most everything plumbed in for having rear brakes. Been running my dirt road with just fronts. Only problem, the hose kit I ordered came with a rear hose 4" too short. It's about 13" and old was about 17". Not sure what napa will have. They are set up each end for 1/4" brake tube. Maybe napa will have a universal or something that will fit. I have my new wheel cylinders etc for the rear brakes and it will be good to have four brakes before I hit the county road. No pics of brake work, and nothing exciting, but here's my tailpipe. It's not a '32 roadster or 36 phaeton barnfind, it's just a piece of 2" pipe with a couplke of bends..... But it helped to wile away a few hours on an otherwise uneventful weekend.I guess I will have to dredge up my exhaust pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailpipe OG 1.jpg (146.4 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg tailpipe OG 2.jpg (147.8 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-27-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:36 PM   #210
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
So over the weekend I got my exhaust system installed.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:36 PM   #211
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Nice garage! Also want those rear tires! haha. nice

All 4 tires were on it when I bought it and in case you have looked for 'em lately, 7.50 x 17s don't grow on trees. Thanks for noticing.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #212
sugarmaker

Gary,
Tail pipe looks great from here. Doesn't have to be complicated or stock to function well. And it takes just as much work to get it in place.
Heat from the fire sounds great!
Thanks for the update on the truck, and the pictures. All those little moves add up to a finished unit. I am sure you will find plenty to do as the weather warms also!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #213
cas3

Take a hole saw and cut some rubber washers out of the sidewall of an old tire, then, put one under the hanger bracket on the rear cross member so it won't resonate exhaust sounds and vibration thru the frame.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:26 PM   #214
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Take a hole saw and cut some rubber washers out of the sidewall of an old tire, then, put one under the hanger bracket on the rear cross member so it won't resonate exhaust sounds and vibration thru the frame.
Thanks, after my diesel converted tonner I want this old gal to be as quiet as a mouse. Would it be better to use a strap made from old belting for the hanger itself? But... it's way easier to make the grommet.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:04 PM   #215
51504bat

I always save the rubber washers from shock absorbers when I replace them. They work well for tail pipe hanger insulation as well as other assorted tasks.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:23 PM   #216
cas3

Some might say a rubber strap would be better, but rubber today is crap, and you, like me, would have an old tire and a hole saw so the job is done now for free.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:30 PM   #217
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I always save the rubber washers from shock absorbers when I replace them. They work well for tail pipe hanger insulation as well as other assorted tasks.

What's a 'shock absorber'?

JK, that's a great idea. And the hole in the hanger is sized for the shoulder on the gromett and no metal touches metal. Pure genius!
Old 03-01-2022, 11:37 AM   #218
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Some might say a rubber strap would be better, but rubber today is crap, and you, like me, would have an old tire and a hole saw so the job is done now for free.
I do have some belting that looks like a sheet of tire with many plies. I also have an all steel hanger just aft of the muffler I will swap out along with it. Whatever I do with it it will cost nothing. I am waiting for better weather so I can pressure wash, then wire wheel the rest of the chassis outdoors.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:35 PM   #219
cas3

yup, that rubber belting is good stuff to have in stock
Old 03-01-2022, 01:31 PM   #220
flatford8

I’m for rubber washers on rigid hangers, or I save hangers with the short piece of rubber between the strap and where the clamp goes. I always fab my hangers out of something. Exhaust and wiring are the fun stuff.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote