Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2022, 11:16 PM   #1
DKnapp

Default Shipping parts to Australia

I used Parcel Monkey to ship a car jack and jack handles to Australia and I was very pleased with their service. The parts were shipped from Arkansas and they arrived in Sydney, AU in 3 or 4 days. I dropped the parts off at a convenient FEDEX pickup point.
The reviews on some of the other overseas shipping options scared me off. I highly recommend Parcel Monkey.
Dick Knapp
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Shipping parts to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnapp View Post
I used Parcel Monkey to ship a car jack and jack handles to Australia and I was very pleased with their service. The parts were shipped from Arkansas and they arrived in Sydney, AU in 3 or 4 days. I dropped the parts off at a convenient FEDEX pickup point.
The reviews on some of the other overseas shipping options scared me off. I highly recommend Parcel Monkey.
Dick Knapp
What did it cost to send those things ($US)? I haven't heard of Parcel Monkey but if it works, it might become a favourite quickly.
FWIW, It has been a lot of years since this happened but I wanted to send a box built on a shipping pallet from Canada to Australia. Fedex and UPS gave me a price of slightly over $9,000 (that's not a typo). They were within a few dollars of each other - so close that I was certain they were colluding. For that, I had to have the box dropped at their depot. In the long run, I found a company that ships ski gear back and forth between Canada and here. Many of the Canadian ski resorts are Australian owned so there is a lot of traffic. They collected the box from my friend's house and I collected it at the airport here in Melbourne at a cost of $1,500 (still no typo). That is a difference of 6 fold. I'm not surprised they scared you off.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:14 PM   #3
DKnapp

The total shipping cost was $132(US) for shipping one Model A jack, one Model A jack handle and a 1937 Ford folding jack handle. The weight was 3.18kg.

I made a mistake on cost when I first posted this.

Last edited by DKnapp; 05-08-2022 at 08:34 PM.
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:35 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnapp View Post
The total shipping cost was $299(US) for shipping one Model A jack, one Model A jack handle and a 1937 Ford folding jack handle. The weight was 3.18kg.
That's about $450 Australian and then there is a 10% tax on that too making the total about $500. Wow. I don't think I'll be annoying the monkey.
I think about the only people who would be pleased by these prices would be the local vendors who get supplies via other means.
Thanks for the response.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-08-2022 at 05:15 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:19 AM   #5
dave in australia

I've always requested parcels to be sent via USPS from the USA. Never had any problems, on the other hand, when I've forgotten to ask for USPS, twice, once by UPS and the other by Fedex, both were terrible. About three weeks slower, and there agents here in Australia just left the parcels in my carport, didn't even knock, just drop and run. USPS uses Auspost in Australia, and if you're not home, will leave a card, which you take to the post office and collect the item.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:13 AM   #6
ronn

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
curious....... if you guys can make contact with auto shippers, I would think the trunks of cars would be a good economical solution- as long as there was no hurry.

I had a fella in Russia about 15 yrs ago wanting 5. 16 inch rims sent to him. The bill here was well over 800.
He contacted an auto shipper and they threw the whls in the trunk of a car. Dont know what he ended up paying, but far less then what I was quoted then.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
I've always requested parcels to be sent via USPS from the USA. Never had any problems, on the other hand, when I've forgotten to ask for USPS, twice, once by UPS and the other by Fedex, both were terrible. About three weeks slower, and there agents here in Australia just left the parcels in my carport, didn't even knock, just drop and run. USPS uses Auspost in Australia, and if you're not home, will leave a card, which you take to the post office and collect the item.

Several years ago I shipped a flathead truck oil pan to Australia via USPS. Not outrageous IIRC and much cheaper than other carriers. It got there with no issues. Unfortunately, USPS isn't shipping to Australia last I heard.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
katy

USPS no longer ships out of country by parcel post, only first class, a lot has changed in the shipping world since 911.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #9
burner31

Me and the boys are just curious, but when shipping to Australia, do you have the put the item in a pouch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geoduck,_Pa,_and_Crowbar!.jpg (88.8 KB, 16 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
USPS no longer ships out of country by parcel post, only first class, a lot has changed in the shipping world since 911.
911 has nothing to do with it. I have had many parcels sent since then.
USPS is saying nothing about why this is the situation but I bet they'd blame COVID. I have no idea whether I was being told fact or fiction when someone said that Trump cut funding to the Post Office and this is the result. Has anybody heard anything either way on that?
Old 05-09-2022, 03:51 AM   #11
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Me and the boys are just curious, but when shipping to Australia, do you have the put the item in a pouch?
What was that???

updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:58 AM   #12
Synchro909

An old man Kangaroo (a Boomer) is not to be taken lightly. The images of a boxing Kangaroo are false - they don't box. They use their front paws to hold a man while balancing on their tail and using those super powerful hind legs to disembowel him. That roo probably stands over 7 feet tall and they are a powerful animal. The boxing Kangaroo was a side show stunt. The kangaroo was trying to get hold of the man in the ring with it and he was avoiding it. If you see photos of a "boxing" match, the human is wearing a heavy leather apron. Guess why.
If a Kangaroo is chased by hunting dogs, they are in great danger. The 'Roo will head to water and wade out till he is in water deep enough that the dogs have to swim. When they get close, the roo holds then under and drowns them. Smart!
I have several cross our front yard each evening, the largest about the size of the one pictured. If I'm out then, I definitely don't do anything to antagonise them.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-09-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #13
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
What was that???

Thanks for the chuckle, that was a good one.
But what on Earth do those Roos eat down there?
Look at the guns on that beast...now we really know why you lock your doors at night.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #14
eagle

Synchro. Question for you, are the Kangaroos considered a pest or a positive animal? Are they hunted, and if so for food or eradication? I imagine I could get all of this info from a simple google search but just wondering. The Whitetail deer in our area used to be a positive animal, and everyone did everything they could to support the wildlife, but they've gotten soooo thick now that they have become a real nuisance animal and cause a lot of environmental damage. Planting trees is really useless in our area as the deer completely browse them down to nothing in just a year or so. The farmers are losing 10% of their crops to the "king's cattle", I have a fenced orchard, lost about a third of my young trees this last winter to deer and rabbits. Trees were fenced, wrapped, and sprayed with repellant but the snow was deep and all of the other available browse was eaten so I couldn't keep them away without shooting them. Just thinking a big bunch of roos could be a pain in the butt too. You have issues in Australia with feral cats and rabbits I think?
Old 05-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #15
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Synchro. Question for you, are the Kangaroos considered a pest or a positive animal? Are they hunted, and if so for food or eradication? I imagine I could get all of this info from a simple google search but just wondering. The Whitetail deer in our area used to be a positive animal, and everyone did everything they could to support the wildlife, but they've gotten soooo thick now that they have become a real nuisance animal and cause a lot of environmental damage. Planting trees is really useless in our area as the deer completely browse them down to nothing in just a year or so. The farmers are losing 10% of their crops to the "king's cattle", I have a fenced orchard, lost about a third of my young trees this last winter to deer and rabbits. Trees were fenced, wrapped, and sprayed with repellent but the snow was deep and all of the other available browse was eaten so I couldn't keep them away without shooting them. Just thinking a big bunch of roos could be a pain in the butt too. You have issues in Australia with feral cats and rabbits I think?
Feral or positive I guess depends on who you speak to - environmentalists, positive, farmers, a pest. They eat pasture for no return and break down fences. An interesting thing about these animals is that if there is a dry season and the food runs out, a pregnant flier (female kangaroo) will reabsorb the joey (young kangaroo) into her system till she is no longer pregnant. The young wouldn't have survived anyway and she has a better chance of surviving having "consumed" her joey. If the season improves while this is happening, the pregnancy continues.
Feral cats, dogs and foxes are a real problem They have hunted too many species of native animal to extinction. There are many varieties of animals that bound like a kangaroo from the size of that fellow down to not much bigger than a mouse. An ideal snack for a cat, dog or fox.
FWIW, the Australian coat of arms (https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/a...n-coat-of-arms) has the shield of each of the 6 states on the federal shield, a star above that with one point for each state and one for the commonwealth territories and a kangaroo on one side and an Emu on the other. The floral background is wattle, native to Australia. Of the many animals unique to Australia, why did they choose Emu and kangaroo for the Coat of Arms? The answer is neither can take a step backwards.
So endeth today's lesson!
Old 05-09-2022, 06:07 PM   #16
JohninKuranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Feral or positive I guess depends on who you speak to - environmentalists, positive, farmers, a pest. They eat pasture for no return and break down fences. An interesting thing about these animals is that if there is a dry season and the food runs out, a pregnant flier (female kangaroo) will reabsorb the joey (young kangaroo) into her system till she is no longer pregnant. The young wouldn't have survived anyway and she has a better chance of surviving having "consumed" her joey. If the season improves while this is happening, the pregnancy continues.
Feral cats, dogs and foxes are a real problem They have hunted too many species of native animal to extinction. There are many varieties of animals that bound like a kangaroo from the size of that fellow down to not much bigger than a mouse. An ideal snack for a cat, dog or fox.
FWIW, the Australian coat of arms (https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/a...n-coat-of-arms) has the shield of each of the 6 states on the federal shield, a star above that with one point for each state and one for the commonwealth territories and a kangaroo on one side and an Emu on the other. The floral background is wattle, native to Australia. Of the many animals unique to Australia, why did they choose Emu and kangaroo for the Coat of Arms? The answer is neither can take a step backwards.
...and up in my part of Australia, the Tropics, we also have the crocodile and marine stingers/jellyfish to contend with. Crocs are protected and are gradually encroaching on suburban coastal areas.
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:32 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninKuranda View Post
...and up in my part of Australia, the Tropics, we also have the crocodile and marine stingers/jellyfish to contend with. Crocs are protected and are gradually encroaching on suburban coastal areas.
Do the people who said that crocodiles should be protected from people also tell the crocs that people should be protected from them???? Maybe the greenies are a bit too green.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #18
eagle

Quote:
Hmmm. Thx for the info. Interesting. I go to Texas every year to hunt wild hogs, where I've hunted the locals tell us if we see a snake, kill a snake. I kind of equate crocs and aligators with snakes, but I know lots of people want them protected. The over protection of the deer in our area has not been good for humans, the environment, OR the deer. Diseases are coming in. Im not for eradication, but too many is worse than scarcity.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:22 AM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Hmmm. Thx for the info. Interesting. I go to Texas every year to hunt wild hogs, where I've hunted the locals tell us if we see a snake, kill a snake. I kind of equate crocs and aligators with snakes, but I know lots of people want them protected. The over protection of the deer in our area has not been good for humans, the environment, OR the deer. Diseases are coming in. Im not for eradication, but too many is worse than scarcity.
Darwin had it pretty right. Who are we to think we can do better?
Old 05-10-2022, 01:55 AM   #20
woofa.express

Quote:
Darwin had it pretty right. Who are we to think we can do better?
you haven't seen anything until you seen swarms of Corella's. We have them because our locality has grain storage and water. They destroy trees and dominate other species. They are noisy and dirty. Not a lot of difference between having a corella plague or mouse plague. both unwanted. Plus corellas are protected. Laws made by urbane folk who don't have corellas.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote