Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #241
GB SISSON

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Well, it's back to the front clip. Today after work it was nice out so I begged my son to stay for a 'half hour' and help me remove the center grill panel from the front fenders. We had just gotten back from a plywood run and had a bunch of 4x8 cardboard so we set that on the ground for kneeling etc, and rolled the clip upside down onto it. I told my son to spray the bolts, (like 30 of them) with pb blaster while I wheeled the torch over. Well, when I got back he had a puddle in each upside down fender. The hose was handy and we needed it for sure. We unbolted what we could, but even in these ideal conditions some got rounded over. At that point the blue wrench came into play. I really need some 6 point box wrenches!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue wrench 1.jpg (128.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg blue wrench 2.jpg (147.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg blue wrench 3.jpg (152.5 KB, 165 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:27 PM   #242
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Well, it's back to the front clip. Today, the blue wrench came into play. I really need some 6 point box wrenches!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:30 PM   #243
cas3

6 point 3/8 socket on a 3/8 breaker bar so you can wiggle back and forth, once its broke loose move on to the next one while that one cools off. Carry on
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:57 PM   #244
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
6 point 3/8 socket on a 3/8 breaker bar so you can wiggle back and forth, once its broke loose move on to the next one while that one cools off. Carry on
Kid likes to use the makita 1/2" drive 18 v impact and of course it's 'after work' so friends are texting him and he wants to go fast. That's ok. It ended well. Earlier in the day he sharpend the mower blades, so in the later hours of light I go down and do a few heart healthy laps with the mower. Ok, 3 more laps..... If I don't show up later call 911
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-31-2022, 10:20 AM   #245
GB SISSON

OOps, I forgot to report back. After about 8 hrs of regular work, then front clip demolition and mowing, I sat on the couch and fell fast asleep instantly. Oh and the puddles seen in the fenders are water. I only ignited a few small areas where some PB remained.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:36 AM   #246
Mart

Good work, GB. It'll look great once you get the front end and fenders on.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:42 PM   #247
GB SISSON

Thanks Mart. It was a tough decision about breaking down that complete front clip but now I am very glad we did. The rad support needed to move forward for the six, and the pan ahead of the rad needs to be replaced with the short version anyhow. The fenders I'm using are in extremely good condition. Couple shallow dents and one hairline crack in the rolled bead of one fender opening. The bottoms at the running boards are excellent.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:20 PM   #248
Zeke3

I have been reading "The Keys to Metal Bumping" and a method for repairing tears in a fender is described. The book was published in the early 50's, so they are using an oxy/acetylene torch to make the repair. The unique step was how they used the filler rod to protect the edge of the bead from being melted away creating a weak spot. I am going to have to practice the technique on fender to see how it goes.

This may not be as big an issue using more modern methods of joining metal, like MIG and TIG.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:27 PM   #249
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
I have been reading "The Keys to Metal Bumping" and a method for repairing tears in a fender is described. The book was published in the early 50's, so they are using an oxy/acetylene torch to make the repair. The unique step was how they used the filler rod to protect the edge of the bead from being melted away creating a weak spot. I am going to have to practice the technique on fender to see how it goes.

This may not be as big an issue using more modern methods of joining metal, like MIG and TIG.
I have a friend here who is so old skool he would never try a wire feed. He welds sheet metal with his torch and a coat hanger. It looks hard to me. I have a mig that is 220 v . A hobart handler 175. It has taken me 15 years to get any good at it. Of course just hobby hours. I plan on doing some time on youtube
Old 03-31-2022, 11:23 PM   #250
cas3

I got my first torch set at about 18, I'm sure the biggest tool purchase of my life at the time. I welded in many patch panels with the torch. They always warped the panel quite badly, but as a kid we thought that was part of the deal. Hammer it out best you can, and thank god for bondo. Now, I see some very skilled folks who still use a torch exclusively with the same results as any skilled mig or tig welder here. Lots of English race car body builder youtube videos out there. Still like my torch for exhaust work, except its getting harder to see, so cheating with bad looking mig welds are becoming more my style.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:12 AM   #251
Mart

I can recommend Carter Auto restyling on YouTube. He has done some great videos showing exactly what we are talking about here, fender patches. Well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CarterAutoRestyling
Old 04-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #252
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I can recommend Carter Auto restyling on YouTube. He has done some great videos showing exactly what we are talking about here, fender patches. Well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CarterAutoRestyling
Yes, a very great video, the guy is a Master, and like your's it is also fun to watch! To quote the great Warren Zeevon, "I'd like to meet his tailor"......
Old 04-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #253
Zeke3

Thanks Mart, I thoroughly enjoyed that You Tube video, filled with a lot of good information. I was expecting gas welding, but that man is one fine TIG welder.

Last edited by Zeke3; 04-01-2022 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Added comment
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #254
sugarmaker

Mart, Gary,
Good thread here with lots of great information! Yes I like Carters work! A craftsman for sure!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #255
Mart

He made a point of migging one of the repairs. Makes it more accessible to mere mortals.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #256
sugarmaker

Gary, mart, folks,
I would like to try Tig welding! He makes it look easy!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 04-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #257
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary, mart, folks,
I would like to try Tig welding! He makes it look easy!
Regards,
Chris
I think there may be a foot pedal involved, much like walking and chewing gum at the same time, and That's hard enough. Chris, did you see my Oliver/White tractor in the last group of pics? Looks kinda new but it's 50 this year. Some Oliver guy was going nuts because I have one in the very rare 'terex green'. Great, now I have more 'patina' to protect.... Ask some Oliver guy you might know. If I paint it for protection I would do something like new caterpillar yellow, but to an Oliver nut, that could be blasphemy.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:34 PM   #258
sugarmaker

Gary,
A guy can get real serious about his tractors too. I have one Allis all dolled up, and several in their work clothes! I like them all if they start and run well and do the job I ask.
Looking forward to some tractor time soon too. Maybe spring plow days. Also tractor shows and tractor pulls too. I like some of the Olivers too, but have never been around them to run them. Yea they could get ansy with CAT yellow on a Oliver!
Just saying..... Now if your protecting it maybe they will let it slide??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 04-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #259
GB SISSON

Once there was a story circulating about a guy that put a flathead V8 in an early corvette..... Guys huddled around at the car show and said how smooth etc. Popped the hood latch! You all know the rest. My Hero BTW, Duh.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #260
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Once there was a story circulating about a guy that put a flathead V8 in an early corvette..... Guys huddled around at the car show and said how smooth etc. Popped the hood latch! You all know the rest. My Hero BTW, Duh.
Ask, and you shall be givin

Click on Picture to Enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford Flathead V8 Powered Vette.jpg (26.4 KB, 217 views)