Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Oakridgeacres

Default Gas without lead.

I am new to the model "A" having just purchased one, a 1929 coupe. My question is about putting an additive in at fill up. Do I need lead additive, or just stabil? The previous owner says just stabil. 1 1/2 oz. per gal. When these cars were new there was lead in the gas to lubricate valves.
Oakridgeacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: Gas without lead.

No, lead or tetraethyl lead was added in thew mid-late 30's for the higher compression ratios of Chevrolet and others to prevent knocking.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
700rpm

You only need to add Stabil if the car is sitting with gas in it for two or more months. I also add some Marvel Mystery Oil.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Kevin in NJ

Follow the link for an interesting bit of background on lead in gas.

http://www.radford.edu/wkovarik/papers/kettering.html
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
criswellnk

Whenever I take the model T out to a car show questions about leaded gas and adding a lead additive are by far the most commonly asked questions. Although I seldom hear that question when I take the A to a show. When you tell some folks that lead wasn't added to gas until the thirties, they look at you like you're nuts because "somebody" told them that all old cars need to use leaded gas or they won't run right and they will damage the engine. James is right, you do not need it, but it is your car and if you think that you do I won't argue with you about it.

As for the Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) that was mentioned, I used it once or twice in the A but stopped using it, but in the model T it goes in every other tank of gas. The engine has never been loud or knocking but after adding the MMO, the faint tick-tick-tick of the valves went away, never to be heard again. You will get a ton of differing opinions on lead additives, MMO or Seafoam and other additives, use whatever you think that you need. Stabil goes into every "last" tank of the season though, wether it is for the antique car, tractor, lawnmower, snowblower, or whatever, no exceptions.

Looking for a copy or reprint of 1932 A.E.A. Universal Catalog of Genuine Electrical Service Parts
criswellnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
columbiA

Many times Ive seen ads for A & B engines with hard seats for unleaded gas.They simply are not needed for these engines-unless they are running 10-1 comp ratio & 5,000 RPM.Most A,s are not running more than 6-1 or 2500 RPM.With unleaded the oil & plugs stay much cleaner.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Richard Wilson

My Model A's seem to like a little Marvel Mystery Oil added to the gas in hot weather. Just my opinion from driving them.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
real550A

We have always preferred Sea Foam as a gasoline additive, both for keeping fuel systems clean and winter storage. It seems to keep stored gasoline fresh quite a bit
longer than Stabil and other additives we've tried. The mechanical fuel injection systems on the old 911's thrive on it.
After using SeaFoam for getting some "stuck" tractor engines loose, I'm a firm believer.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
bobpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by real550A View Post
We have always preferred Sea Foam as a gasoline additive, both for keeping fuel systems clean and winter storage. It seems to keep stored gasoline fresh quite a bit
longer than Stabil and other additives we've tried. The mechanical fuel injection systems on the old 911's thrive on it.
After using SeaFoam for getting some "stuck" tractor engines loose, I'm a firm believer.
I am 100% with you on the use of Seafoam. The last bottle of Stabil I had sat on a shelf for a few months and when I went to use it, it had what appeard to be sediment of rust scale in the bottom of the bottle. I poured it through a coffee filter. It actually looked like rust. Haven't used it since. Been using Seafoam in all engines since.
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
HoarseWhisperer

Source cautions use of alcohol additives with e-10?

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
real550A

Hoarse- As one who has learned to mainly trust my eyes, I can honestly say I've never
experienced a negative issue with using Sea Foam in any type of fuel or engine oil.
We've used it exclusively for all our four stroke fuels, including 10% for many years.
Thanks for the link, I found some other items on there that were interesting, as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Vanspeed

My cars sit from roughly Novermeber until about May and I never add any type of stabilizer to the gas. They always start right up and drive. Never had any problems with gas going bad over the winter. I do start them up once a month though.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
real550A

I found out right away, when Mn. went to the "corn liquor" blend, that stored gasoline turned brown and developed a "bad" smell after only a month. Non-oxy gasoline doesn't sour for at least 3-4 months. That ethanol stuff is bad mojo for engines and gas tanks!